AVS Forum banner

4861 - 4880 of 5839 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
IIRC from the ATV4K thread, not having 5.1 multichannel for Hulu Live TV was a deal breaker for you. Have you confirmed it’s 5.1 on the Shield?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been playing around with several of the Android TV apps on my Sony TV. They more or less seem to be in line with their respective app on Roku. Hulu is not 5.1 across the board, nor is it on Roku, but newer content mostly is in 5.1 DD+. Shows I've watched recently on that are 5.1 are Manifest (seasons 1& 2) and Homeland (seasons 1 to 8). Manifest was 5.1 in both seasons. Homeland was interesting. Season 1 was 5.1, then sometime in season 2 or 3 it switched to stereo then the last season was 5.1 again. Kind of weird. I've watched a lot of stuff (mostly recent TV episodes) on Hulu over the last few years; most of it has been 5.1 DD+. Older stuff that I've watched (Scrubs, Seinfeld) were in stereo but newer stuff has been mostly 5.1.

I do have live TV on Hulu, but don't use it much, I mostly stream on demand because the picture quality is better. I use live TV so sparingly I don't know that I've ever checked the audio format on that. I use it mostly for live sports. It wouldn't surprise me if it's limited to Stereo.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love to think of it more like a nice Android that's been rooted like a Galaxy with all the Samsung bloatware/ layering removed so it can perform at it's best. This is why I like LG phones better as well. Not as much bs loaded on them and you can get rid of more of it so it runs better!
So then the Shield is similar in stability and performance to stock Android on a higher end or flagship phone. If that is true, then I would have no qualms about getting one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So then the Shield is similar in stability and performance to stock Android on a higher end or flagship phone. If that is true, then I would have no qualms about getting one.
I've had a great experience so far with mine. I previously had Firetv 4k's in the house. It outperforms those all day, and allows you to do more tinkering around. The home UI is nothing exciting to look at or flashy but it works, and it works well. Very snappy. My Firetv 4k sticks would freeze and get boggy sometimes and were speced similarly. Currently you will not get atmos on prime, it had it when I got it, and is advertised as supported by Shield on the website chart. In assuming it's Prime issue right now. You will not get Hulu content that is in 4k (Hulu Originals) in 4k. They will be in 1080. Hulu kind of sucks anyways though. They half ass a lot of **** in general. The 4k stuff they do have is not HDR. A lot of their content isn't even in 5.1. Other than that it's the device other than Apple that checks all the boxes.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Checking out Hulu (with ads) right now.
Watching a few shows from the FX Network:
Better Things - Dolby Digital Plus
Atlanta - Dolby Surround.
Devs - Dolby Digital Plus
Ramy (Hulu Exclusive) - Dolby Digital Plus

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
To Foxbat and Reconer:

1) There are both lossy and lossless forms of audio compression. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are lossless.

"Dolby Digital" and plain "DTS" - the versions used on DVDs - were lossy, with DTS having the edge by using a much higher bit-rate.

Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD are improved lossy encodings.

2) Atmos and DTS:X are overhead tracks that can be included in either the lossless or lossy bitstreams.

Atmos on TrueHD and DTS:X on Master Audio are lossless. Riding on DD+ or DTS-HD they are lossy.

2) LPCM is itself lossless, because it is not compressed - unless it was decoded from a lossy source.

However, as far as I know, LPCM isn't being used to carry Atmos or DTS:X - for those you still need to bitstream.

Reactions: GGA

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
Dolby MAT 2.0, go research it. It is how Xbox One and Windows pass Atmos audio without the need to compress th first, something that is important for games to minimize the lag and overhead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
A lot of the stuff that is OTA and Sports Hulu is only streaming in stereo and 720p. Turn on the TV digital antenna and it's in DD 5.1 1080i. Be sure you're not getting that info from what your receiver is up mixing to, and not what it is receiving with it set on auto and it set on the display to show what it is playing it back to you as :p

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
... Currently you will not get atmos on prime, it had it when I got it, and is advertised as supported by Shield on the website chart. In assuming it's Prime issue right now ...
A few days ago, when this issue was first flagged, I checked and found that I got Atmos on Prime through the Shield on The Aeronauts, so if other programs don't come through with Atmos, it's an encoding issue on those programs, not any incompatibility between Prime and the Shield.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yes, raw LPCM can not carry Atmos. That's why the LPCM base and Atmos metadata are wrapped inside a Dolby MAT 2.0 bitstream container.

Bottom of page 12: https://professional.dolby.com/siteassets/tv/home/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-home-theater.pdf
The question is what AVRs or audio processors can decode that format.

The PDF from Dolby that you link to (which is from 2016) gives no indication of what AVRs or processors can decode MAT, implying that all Atmos-enabled decoders can.

However, the manual for my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070, which was introduced in 2017 and plays both DD+/Atmos and TrueHD/Atmos, doesn't even mention MAT.

I don't see the point in taking a DD+/Atmos stream that all Atmos-compatible decoders can play and re-encoding it as a format that only a few can.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
12,614 Posts

The PDF from Dolby that you link to (which is from 2016) gives no indication of what AVRs or processors can decode MAT, implying that all Atmos-enabled decoders can.

However, the manual for my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070, which was introduced in 2017 and plays both DD+/Atmos and TrueHD/Atmos, doesn't even mention MAT.

I don't see the point in taking a DD+/Atmos stream that all Atmos-compatible decoders can play and re-encoding it as a format that only a few can.
I have not heard any Atmos capable AVR does not support Dolby MAT format. Compatibility is not an issue since Xbox One and ATV 4K have been using it for quite a few years now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Well, I can't test compatibility with my setup since my Shield, Roku, and FireStick don't convert anything to MAT, and I'm not about to buy an Apple TV or an Xbox just to test that.

Why wouldn't Yamaha list MAT in its manual if it could play it?

And while I can see that it's less effort for a game to output MAT, why bother transcoding DD+/Atmos to MAT, which not only adds lag at the ATV 4K but puts a heavier data load on the HDMI transmission?

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
Well, I can't test compatibility with my setup since my Shield, Roku, and FireStick don't convert anything to MAT, and I'm not about to buy an Apple TV or an Xbox just to test that.

And while I can see that it's less effort for a game to output MAT, why bother transcoding DD+/Atmos to MAT, which not only adds lag at the ATV 4K but puts a heavier data load on the HDMI transmission?
My understanding is that nobody lists Dobly MAT as a supported format because it is not a well publicized format. However, Dolby seems to require the support from day one for any receiver that licesned to support Atmos.

Dolby MAT is choosen because the platform does not support bitstreaming audio for whatever reason. The point here is not to argue why Microsoft/Apple did this, but to point out there should be no real audio quality difference.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The Shield will play Hi-Rez audio from Tidal. It will also play titles set for Dolby Atmos as well. Be sure to be on the latest Shield experience release for Dolby Atmos audio from Tidal.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hardware wise, it does not seem to have anything new. Even the processor is just a die-shrinked version of the same processor.
But about 25% faster than the previous version of the processor.

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
But about 25% faster than the previous version of the processor.

Depending what you are doing, e.g. playing games might be useful for that 25% increase. But in general media playback, it seems not much difference. It still can't play YouTube HDR.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
Any that can do Atmos. MAT is also used to transport TrueHD. Here's all the Dolby formats from my Denon's EDID:

Code:
    AC-3:
      Max channels: 6
      Supported sample rates (kHz): 48 44.1 32
      Maximum bit rate: 640 kb/s
    Dolby Digital+:
      Max channels: 8
      Supported sample rates (kHz): 48 44.1
      Supports Joint Object Coding
      Supports Joint Object Coding with ACMOD28
    MAT (MLP):
      Max channels: 8
      Supported sample rates (kHz): 192 176.4 96 88.2 48 44.1
Notice that there's no Dolby TrueHD in that list. That's because there is no value for TrueHD in the EDID spec.

They didn't list it before Atmos existed for TrueHD so why should they list it now that Atmos and LPCM were added to it? It's just a container format, not an audio codec.

It lets them mix in other sound effects on the fly. And it does not put any extra data load on HDMI. Audio is encoded in the horizontal and vertical blanking intervals. An HDMI signal with compressed stereo Dolby Digital will take the exact same HDMI bandwidth as one with 7.1 LPCM.

4861 - 4880 of 5839 Posts