AVS Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 5877 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Depending what you are doing, e.g. playing games might be useful for that 25% increase. But in general media playback, it seems not much difference. It still can't play YouTube HDR.
So you're not seeing a material increase in speed, performance and responsiveness in pretty much everything from the UI and menu and apps compared to your 2015 or 2017 Shield? That surprises me because I have two 2017's and this new Pro and it's much, much better.

Reactions: Salty01

·
Registered
150 Posts
Would the new Shield TV Pro be worth getting if you already have a recent 2019/2020 Android TV? The upscaling is nice, but other than that, I assume it would be rather duplication of what you already have on the TV.

I’m looking at getting a Sony x900h and liking the shield too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Would the new Shield TV Pro be worth getting if you already have a recent 2019/202 Android TV? The ups along is nice, but other than that, I assume it would be rather duplication of what you already have on the TV.

It would be a lot of duplication plus IIRC the 900h also can get the Apple TV app and therefore iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Hardware wise, it does not seem to have anything new. Even the processor is just a die-shrinked version of the same processor.
The Shield will play Hi-Rez audio from Tidal. It will also play titles set for Dolby Atmos as well. Be sure to be on the latest Shield experience release for Dolby Atmos audio from Tidal.
But about 25% faster than the previous version of the processor.

Depending what you are doing, e.g. playing games might be useful for that 25% increase. But in general media playback, it seems not much difference. It still can't play YouTube HDR.
Thanx for the speedy reply, i probably dont use a quarter of what my shieldPro can do, i guess i’ll keep it and load Tidal and see what the ol’ girl can do.

thanx again

·
Registered
533 Posts
Would the new Shield TV Pro be worth getting if you already have a recent 2019/2020 Android TV? The upscaling is nice, but other than that, I assume it would be rather duplication of what you already have on the TV.

Looks and functionality will be duplicated, however I don't know that the experience will be duplicated. I had a Sony x940D (2016) and recently upgraded to an A9G. The Android TV experience on the 940D was atrocious, very buggy and laggy. I quit attempting to use it for anything after about a month and relied solely on my Roku Ultra. With the A9G I am toying around with the built in apps again, primarily because of Dolby Vision support. Compared to the experience on the 940D the A9G is much improved, but still kind a little laggy. The only bug related issues I have had are related to the ARC, which I use to send audio to my Marantz processor. When it works, it works well. But I've had a few issues getting it working. A couple times a full system power down and back up has restored the ARC, a couple times I had reboot the TV. I'm very seriously looking at the Shield.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Any that can do Atmos. MAT is also used to transport TrueHD. Here's all the Dolby formats from my Denon's EDID:

Code:
    AC-3:
      Max channels: 6
      Supported sample rates (kHz): 48 44.1 32
      Maximum bit rate: 640 kb/s
    Dolby Digital+:
      Max channels: 8
      Supported sample rates (kHz): 48 44.1
      Supports Joint Object Coding
      Supports Joint Object Coding with ACMOD28
    MAT (MLP):
      Max channels: 8
      Supported sample rates (kHz): 192 176.4 96 88.2 48 44.1
Notice that there's no Dolby TrueHD in that list. That's because there is no value for TrueHD in the EDID spec.

They didn't list it before Atmos existed for TrueHD so why should they list it now that Atmos and LPCM were added to it? It's just a container format, not an audio codec.

It lets them mix in other sound effects on the fly. And it does not put any extra data load on HDMI. Audio is encoded in the horizontal and vertical blanking intervals. An HDMI signal with compressed stereo Dolby Digital will take the exact same HDMI bandwidth as one with 7.1 LPCM.
Actually, MLP, which stands for Meridian Lossless Packing, was the format used on 5.1 DVD-Audio disks, and became the basis for TrueHD - which will sometimes be identified by an older device as MLP, to the mystification of users who aren't familiar with that history.

I hadn't heard of the vertical blanking interval since forever!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Actually, MLP, which stands for Meridian Lossless Packing, was the format used on 5.1 DVD-Audio disks, and became the basis for TrueHD - which will sometimes be identified by an older device as MLP, to the mystification of users who aren't familiar with that history.
Let me clarify. Other than MAT (MLP), there is no other entry in the EDID for TrueHD. It's always sent in a MAT container unless you convert it to raw LPCM in the player. MAT came out with HDMI 1.3 and predates Atmos.

I hadn't heard of the vertical blanking interval since forever!
Still there with digital. It's also how VRR operates, by extending the vertical blanking interval until the next frame is ready.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
For users of the Plex Media Server:

I got the Shield about a month or so ago, set the Plex Server up with a WD Red 3TB drive in a USB3 case plugged into the Shield, and everything worked great for about a month.

Earlier this week, all my Plex apps stopped being able to see any of the content, including the web based app on my PC. On the Shield, it showed no storage connected. The Shield worked fine streaming content from various providers, but the Plex Server wasn't available.

I rebooted both the Shield and the drive case, and everything came back to life, all content intact.

Is this normal? Anyone else need to reboot things time to time to regain functionality?

Before buying the Shield, I used a TerraMaster NAS as a Plex Server, and it had a similar issue from time to time where the content would simply become unavailable for no discernible reason. I wonder if it's a 'feature' of the Plex Server...

·
Registered
443 Posts

I got the Shield about a month or so ago, set the Plex Server up with a WD Red 3TB drive in a USB3 case plugged into the Shield, and everything worked great for about a month.

Earlier this week, all my Plex apps stopped being able to see any of the content, including the web based app on my PC. On the Shield, it showed no storage connected. The Shield worked fine streaming content from various providers, but the Plex Server wasn't available.

I rebooted both the Shield and the drive case, and everything came back to life, all content intact.

Is this normal? Anyone else need to reboot things time to time to regain functionality?

Before buying the Shield, I used a TerraMaster NAS as a Plex Server, and it had a similar issue from time to time where the content would simply become unavailable for no discernible reason. I wonder if it's a 'feature' of the Plex Server...
Yes, my did the same thing yesterday. Rebooted both and back came my content

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yes, my did the same thing yesterday. Rebooted both and back came my content
According to the Google Play store, the Server app was updated July 22, 2020, about two weeks ago. If the rollout was staggered over days (or weeks), it's possible the update needed a reboot of the Shield to work...I should have checked that before posting.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

No that’s not normal. If your drives are losing connectivity maybe check that your USB settings aren’t turned on to allow them to disconnect on sleep.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
According to the Google Play store, the Server app was updated July 22, 2020, about two weeks ago. If the rollout was staggered over days (or weeks), it's possible the update needed a reboot of the Shield to work...I should have checked that before posting.
there was an update a few days ago to v1.19.5.3112 but you shouldn’t need to reboot. I guess that’s possible but sstill not normal.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
No that’s not normal. If your drives are losing connectivity maybe check that your USB settings aren’t turned on to allow them to disconnect on sleep.

Both USB ports on my Shield are set to be on all the time (or whatever that setting says). And in any case, it worked for a month before it stopped responding, so unlikely it was any kind of 'sleep' setting.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Both USB ports on my Shield are set to be on all the time (or whatever that setting says). And in any case, it worked for a month before it stopped responding, so unlikely it was any kind of 'sleep' setting.
Ok, rules that out. Occasionally I have had cross linked files and/or boot sector issues which was easily corrected in Windows or Mac with disk utilities but if it never happens again forget about it. I’m just saying it shouldn’t require a reboot except on rare occasions. It’s pretty solid.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey all, was hoping I could get some guidance on an annoying issue I am having with my shield 2019 pro and soundbar. I have all power options disabled on the shield (except sleep shield when changing inputs and sleep shield when tv powers off), but when I start an activity with my harmony, as soon as my soundbar turns on (the shield is passed through one of the hdmi ports of the bar) the shield also powers on. This causes issues because all of my other devices are plugged into the tv (lg cx) via eARC, and the soundbar stays on HDMI1 (where the shield is plugged in) and wont change to eARC.

Any ideas how to stop the shield from powering on when the soundbar turns on? In my activities, I have the harmony telling the bar to change to the eARC input, but it stays on HDMI1 i think because the shield is on, creating an issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Curious if anyone else has this issue with their Shield Pro. Mine periodically "forgets" that it can output 4K.
Like I can watch a 4K movie on it, put it to sleep for the night, come back, and all the movies and shows I could previously access in 4K on Disney+, Netflix, VUDU, etc. just indicate they'd playback in HD now. If I either reboot the Shield or simply toggle the display resolution back and forth it'll display 4K options properly again, but that's a bit of a hassle, so if there's a more permanent fix I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
12,622 Posts
Curious if anyone else has this issue with their Shield Pro. Mine periodically "forgets" that it can output 4K.
Like I can watch a 4K movie on it, put it to sleep for the night, come back, and all the movies and shows I could previously access in 4K on Disney+, Netflix, VUDU, etc. just indicate they'd playback in HD now. If I either reboot the Shield or simply toggle the display resolution back and forth it'll display 4K options properly again, but that's a bit of a hassle, so if there's a more permanent fix I'd love to hear it.
That sounds like a EDID issue. That is, when your Shield wakes up, it can't get correct EDID info from your TV or whatever device it is connected to. You can unplug and plugback the HDMI cable to force a sync but ultimately, it could just mean that device isn't working correctly to re-sync EDID info.

4881 - 4900 of 5877 Posts