AVS Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 5839 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have some questions about 4K HDR @60HZ

So I've been part of the 4K HDR world for about 4 yrs now. For the last 4 years I've had an OPPO 203 and Roku Ultra both connected to a Marantz 8802A and a single HDMI going to a Sony XBR-75X940D. A few weeks ago I upgraded to a 77A9G and I just got a Shield Pro over the weekend. 4 years ago there were a lot of people having issues getting 4K HDR programming to display on their TV. Many of the issues had to do with HDMI cables, you had to have premium high speed HDMI cables, better if they were "Certified". I upgraded my cables and everything worked, I was happy.

So I get my Shield over the weekend. When enabling Dolby Vision I see there are three resolution options related to 4K HDR:
  1. 4K with HDR10 @ 60HZ
  2. 4K with HDR10 & DV @ 60HZ
  3. 4K with HDR10 & DV @ 23.947HZ
Option 1 works fine, but there's no DV, which is one of the reasons I upgraded to the Shield. Option 2 doesn't work. Option 3 works fine, so I at least get DV, but I get a warning that it may be too slow, especially for games.

I'm trying to figure out why #2 isn't working. I checked all my cables again and found that the cable (30 ft Monoprice Cabernet) I have running from my Marantz to the TV is a rated high speed and is supposed to support 4K @ 60HZ, but it isn't "Certified". When I got to Monoprice's website and filter on "Dynamic HDR" the Cabernet model is not listed. Could this cable possibly be what is blocking Option 2?

So what am I missing without having option 2 available? I know most movies are still only 24 FPS so I assume #3 will be fine for TV and movie watching; there are a few movies available @60 HZ but the list is pretty small. So is it just gaming that would be impacted by not having option 2?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

So I've been part of the 4K HDR world for about 4 yrs now. For the last 4 years I've had an OPPO 203 and Roku Ultra both connected to a Marantz 8802A and a single HDMI going to a Sony XBR-75X940D. A few weeks ago I upgraded to a 77A9G and I just got a Shield Pro over the weekend. 4 years ago there were a lot of people having issues getting 4K HDR programming to display on their TV. Many of the issues had to do with HDMI cables, you had to have premium high speed HDMI cables, better if they were "Certified". I upgraded my cables and everything worked, I was happy.

So I get my Shield over the weekend. When enabling Dolby Vision I see there are three resolution options related to 4K HDR:
  1. 4K with HDR10 @ 60HZ
Option 1 works fine, but there's no DV, which is one of the reasons I upgraded to the Shield. Option 2 doesn't work. Option 3 works fine, so I at least get DV, but I get a warning that it may be too slow, especially for games.

I'm trying to figure out why #2 isn't working. I checked all my cables again and found that the cable (30 ft Monoprice Cabernet) I have running from my Marantz to the TV is a rated high speed and is supposed to support 4K @ 60HZ, but it isn't "Certified". When I got to Monoprice's website and filter on "Dynamic HDR" the Cabernet model is not listed. Could this cable possibly be what is blocking Option 2?

So what am I missing without having option 2 available? I know most movies are still only 24 FPS so I assume #3 will be fine for TV and movie watching; there are a few movies available @60 HZ but the list is pretty small. So is it just gaming that would be impacted by not having option 2?

Is your receiver 30 feet away from the Sony? “Active“ HDMI cables are only needed for long runs, typically people with a projector setup. It’s a bit overkill, but fine.

These are what I have: Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YCbCr 4:4:4, 10ft, Black - Monoprice.com

Have you updated the firmware on your receiver? Are you not also getting an option for 4K with HDR10 & DV @ 59.940 HZ? Check your “advanced display options” as well. While that is a monster of a receiver, it’s edging on the point where it might begin to show its age.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

1. 4K with HDR10 @ 60HZ

4K 59.940 Hz HDR Ready is fine make sure both Dolby Vision and Match content color space is turned on. I would also get the recommended certified Monoprice cables. They are inexpensive as you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is your receiver 30 feet away from the Sony? “Active“ HDMI cables are only needed for long runs, typically people with a projector setup. It’s a bit overkill, but fine.

These are what I have: Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YCbCr 4:4:4, 10ft, Black - Monoprice.com

Have you updated the firmware on your receiver? Are you not also getting an option for 4K with HDR10 & DV @ 59.940 HZ? Check your “advanced display options” as well. While that is a monster of a receiver, it’s edging on the point where it might begin to show its age.
In my home theater my components sit in a room under the stairs so it is a rather long run to the TV. At the time all I could find were 20 and 30 ft lengths. 20 was too short so I got the 30. I may be able to get away with 25ft cables now that they are available. I'll have to remeasure.

4K 59.940 Hz HDR Ready is fine make sure both Dolby Vision and Match content color space is turned on. I would also get the recommended certified Monoprice cables. They are inexpensive as you know.
I don't recall seeing the 4K 59.940 Hz HDR Ready option, but I'll look for it. I know I had the color space match setting disabled so I'll also enable that. I wasn't sure of the purpose of the match color space setting. I mean I understand what it does, just couldn't think of why/when it would be needed.

The only firmware I am missing on the Marantz is the very last one. It is a pretty small one and it shouldn't impact Dolby Vision, at least there's nothing in the info I've found online that would lead me to believe it would impact it at all.

If the above recommendations don't change anything I'll go to the 8802A owners thread and see if anyone there has issues with enabling 60HZ and Dolby Vision at the same time. I'll also get a "Certified" Premium High Speed cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for responses!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
They're all plugged into a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 for 7.2.4 Atmos and DTS:X, and from there into a 4K JVC projector.
HELP...

I too have a JVC 4K projector, Apple TV, and Nvidia Shield. My projector looks great on Apple TV, gamma set to HDR. When I switch to the shield, I have to select a different gamma setting, or the colors look super saturated. What are you doing differently, if anything, when switching between these 2, and do you have any color settings you can share if your Shield acts this way as well?

On the Audio front, I bought the Shield because the Apple TV, even with the new "ATMOS supported" TVOS 14 Beta, does NOT play my Plex/ATMOS titles correctly. The difference between Apple TV and Shield when it comes to discrete 7.1.4 output is dramatic!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I thought some displays only work in DV at 23.976? Or am I misremembering that?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Correct. Some displays and some receivers. It’s not a limitation with anything new, but with equipment a few years old now in most cases. Anything in the video chain not capable of full DV @ 59/60 Hz will limit it to whatever the lowest common denominator is.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
In my home theater my components sit in a room under the stairs so it is a rather long run to the TV. At the time all I could find were 20 and 30 ft lengths. 20 was too short so I got the 30. I may be able to get away with 25ft cables now that they are available. I'll have to remeasure.

I don't recall seeing the 4K 59.940 Hz HDR Ready option, but I'll look for it. I know I had the color space match setting disabled so I'll also enable that. I wasn't sure of the purpose of the match color space setting. I mean I understand what it does, just couldn't think of why/when it would be needed.

The only firmware I am missing on the Marantz is the very last one. It is a pretty small one and it shouldn't impact Dolby Vision, at least there's nothing in the info I've found online that would lead me to believe it would impact it at all.

If the above recommendations don't change anything I'll go to the 8802A owners thread and see if anyone there has issues with enabling 60HZ and Dolby Vision at the same time. I'll also get a "Certified" Premium High Speed cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for responses!!
Match Color Space determines if the content is SDR, HDR or DV and adjust automatically. You need it for your Sony OLED.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Alright, that's what I thought. So, those having trouble with 60hz DV, just be aware of this as a possible cause.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Match Color Space determines if the content is SDR, HDR or DV and adjust automatically. You need it for your Sony OLED.

I knew that's what it did, but I didn't know it was needed for my Sony A9G. I'll flip it on then. Maybe that will fix my problem?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Correct. Some displays and some receivers. It’s not a limitation with anything new, but with equipment a few years old now in most cases. Anything in the video chain not capable of full DV @ 59/60 Hz will limit it to whatever the lowest common denominator is.
The A9G line is from 2019, but is still current and top of the line OLED for Sony in 2020. I'd be kinda pissed if it isn't capable of DV @ 60HZ, but then again if that's it's only shortfall...

I'll post a question in the Marantz thread, perhaps my 8802A is the problem. If so I guess I'll have to live with it. First world problems. :eek:

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I don't honestly know if either of those support it or don't but i just wanted to make you aware of the possibility of an issue there.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The A9G line is from 2019, but is still current and top of the line OLED for Sony in 2020. I'd be kinda pissed if it isn't capable of DV @ 60HZ, but then again if that's it's only shortfall...

I'll post a question in the Marantz thread, perhaps my 8802A is the problem. If so I guess I'll have to live with it. First world problems. :eek:
I’m pretty sure your Sony is capable of DV @ 60 on HDMI 2&3 with Enhanced set to on. My Sony is two years older than yours and it supports it.

And yes, Match should be on to support all color space options automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

I started to look at the 8802A online to see what it did and didn’t support. Then I drank a beer and gave up lol. That thing is like 5 years old and is still a beast!

Right now I’m running a 4 year old Onkyo in my master bedroom while my 6 month old one is being repaired after I accidentally shorted it out with a loose banana plug. The old one isn’t DV capable at all and is only 4K HDR capable up to 23.976 Hz. So right now the receiver is holding back everything in the video chain temporarily. Once my newer one is repaired (tomorrow), I’ll be back to a setting on the Shield of 4K DV and HDR @ 59.940 Hz.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I’m pretty sure your Sony is capable of DV @ 60 on HDMI 2&3 with Enhanced set to on. My Sony is two years older than yours and it supports it.

And yes, Match should be on to support all color space options automatically.
I started to look at the 8802A online to see what it did and didn’t support. Then I drank a beer and gave up lol. That thing is like 5 years old and is still a beast!

Right now I’m running a 4 year old Onkyo in my master bedroom while my 6 month old one is being repaired after I accidentally shorted it out with a loose banana plug. The old one isn’t DV capable at all and is only 4K HDR capable up to 23.976 Hz. So right now the receiver is holding back everything in the video chain temporarily. Once my newer one is repaired (tomorrow), I’ll be back to a setting on the Shield of 4K DV and HDR @ 59.940 Hz.
I kind of figured it wasn't my A9G. I enabled the color space match setting. It still doesn't work but there is a small improvement With color match disabled all I get is a black screen until it times out and switches back to the 23.xxx HZ setting. With color space match enabled, the graphic stating "the resolution has changed, do you want to keep the changes" flashes on the screen every few seconds and there is static in the background. This makes me think the Marantz can support [email protected] 59.94HZ but HDMI cable running from my Marantz to the TV isn't up to the task.

The 8802A is several years old, but it is a "beast" as @HD-Master says. And Marantz does a good job supporting older models with FW updates, especially higher end models. I have a question out in 8802 owners forum to see if the 8802A supports 59.94HZ DV, but I'm pretty sure it does. I am going to get a Premium High Speed HDMI cable that is actually certified, and the shortest length one available that is still long enough.

Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
I don't think they certify any cable longer than 15ft.
Anyway, can't you just bypass the AVR and go directly to TV to test the DV capability.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I don't think they certify any cable longer than 15ft.
Anyway, can't you just bypass the AVR and go directly to TV to test the DV capability.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good idea!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Just bought a film for a bargain price through FandangoNOW. Is there an app for it for the Shield? (I have the 2019 tube.)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Just bought a film for a bargain price through FandangoNOW. Is there an app for it for the Shield? (I have the 2019 tube.)
Even if they do, their apps are terrible. Which movie is it? If it’s MA you might be able to watch it on MA or Vudu.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
HELP...

I too have a JVC 4K projector, Apple TV, and Nvidia Shield. My projector looks great on Apple TV, gamma set to HDR. When I switch to the shield, I have to select a different gamma setting, or the colors look super saturated. What are you doing differently, if anything, when switching between these 2, and do you have any color settings you can share if your Shield acts this way as well?

On the Audio front, I bought the Shield because the Apple TV, even with the new "ATMOS supported" TVOS 14 Beta, does NOT play my Plex/ATMOS titles correctly. The difference between Apple TV and Shield when it comes to discrete 7.1.4 output is dramatic!
You're dealing with setting up your JVC's auto-switching between SDR and HDR. Find the forum here for your model for advice. For their current lamp-based true 4K models, it's a matter of making sure that HDR10 Auto-switching is on, choosing a favorite HDR mode with an HDR source playing, and picking a favorite SDR mode with an SDR source playing - and leaving it alone! It only remembers the last two settings, so if you keep switching between settings in the same color space, it will just switch between the most recent two, not into the other color space.

Reactions: galonzo
4901 - 4920 of 5839 Posts