AVS Forum banner

5541 - 5560 of 5840 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a Dune media player that I will want to upgrade sometime in the next few months as it is having trouble playing newer codecs and it is having a few glitches now and then.

Anyway, looking at a nvidia shield since it can play just about any file and has all the streaming services so I can get rid of my fire tv box.

Anyway, I never have used a NAS with the Dune and have always used standalone hard drives connected to the Dune (I know, no hard drive backup system for my media).. What I have is three 2 TB NTFS hard drives with movies and series on them plugged into a multi port USB hub which then plugs into the Dune's USB port.

I am try to guage how much work this project will be. Will I be able to plug the USB hub with the hard drives into the Nvidia and be done or will I need to format each hard drive with the Nvidia so it will see my hard drives? If so, I need to format the drives and re-rip and download everything again to the formatted hard drives. A huge task that I would need to plan for. However if all I need to do is plug my current hard drives into the shield, I'll start the process of switching from my Dune to Nvidia sooner than later.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Last night I was trying to watch a 4k HDR title via Plex on the Shield but it kept buffering. I have never had this happen with my 2017 Shield. I ended up having to watch the disc instead because of all this buffering. Anyone know what might be causing this? I can reboot the Shield but other than that, I'm now sure what else I should do?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
@Mamasboy The Shield Pro is the only model with USB ports, but to my knowledge you should be able to just plug them in and go. I agree that the Shield can play almost anything. I use a DLNA server as my file source, but nothing requires transcoding for video, audio, container or captions. It just works. I use Kodi as my player, but there are several other good ones available as well.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the Shield likely to get updated again next year (2021)?
I'm interested in the Shield solely for streaming video and playing videos.
I'm in no hurry so was wondering if it's worth waiting to see what the next model holds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Actually last night Prime video app was only outputting in stereo even though I knew it should be DD+.
Force Stopping the app and deleting the cache was sufficient to get it to send the correct audio again, so you could try that (and deleting the data) first without uninstalling the app and see how you go.
SO I tried deleting the data and that did not work. So I deleted the app and reinstalled it and everything started working again. THANK YOU m-a-r-k and others for helping. I really appreciate it greatly!😁

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Is the Shield likely to get updated again next year (2021)?
I'm interested in the Shield solely for streaming video and playing videos.
I'm in no hurry so was wondering if it's worth waiting to see what the next model holds.
So far they're released an update every two years, so a 2021 model is certainly possible. I'm not certain what more they can offer with a newer version, though. It already supports all of the lossless audio codecs, now supports Dolby Vision. It's lacking YouTube HDR support, although that's going to be a moot point since YT is moving to a different video codec for that. I suppose for people that use it for gaming would like more powerful graphics and/or CPU. I use mine mainly for watching media, either from my own server or the usual online sources. My 2017 version still does everything I need, and my '19 tube is now on a TV with Dolby Vision, so it too has everything I need.

·
Registered
765 Posts
@Mamasboy The Shield Pro is the only model with USB ports, but to my knowledge you should be able to just plug them in and go. I agree that the Shield can play almost anything. I use a DLNA server as my file source, but nothing requires transcoding for video, audio, container or captions. It just works. I use Kodi as my player, but there are several other good ones available as well.
The reason I ask is in reading about external storage I keep seeing stuff about having to format drives with the Shield. If it as you say, all I need to do is plug my current drives from the Dune, into the shield without re-formatting getting a Shield Pro is a no brainer upgrade that I would do sooner than later.

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
The reason I ask is in reading about external storage I keep seeing stuff about having to format drives with the Shield. If it as you say, all I need to do is plug my current drives from the Dune, into the shield without re-formatting getting a Shield Pro is a no brainer upgrade that I would do sooner than later.
Re-formatting is only needed if you want to use the external storage as internal data storage. This requires certain access speed in order to not slow down the system.

The way you described is just use external storage as media storage and does not (and should not) require re-formatting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last night I was trying to watch a 4k HDR title via Plex on the Shield but it kept buffering. I have never had this happen with my 2017 Shield. I ended up having to watch the disc instead because of all this buffering. Anyone know what might be causing this? I can reboot the Shield but other than that, I'm now sure what else I should do?
Be sure you're getting direct play for video and audio, not transcoding in any way. Transcoding is the enemy.

If it is truly "buffering" that you're experiencing, it sounds like you have a bottleneck somewhere in your network. See rule number eight in the link above.

Reactions: galonzo and lujan

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Before you do anything, simply restart both the Shield and your Switch/Wireless Router. Sometimes, a simple reboot is all it takes.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ok, great. Do I then install plex (or Emby) on the internal storage of the Shield Pro and my PC so that I can manage movies as I move them from the PC to the Shield.

With the Dune I have Zappiti Jukebox app on my computer and Dune internal drive. After adding a movie to one of the hard-drives connected to the Dune, I scan the Dune hard drives with Zappiti on my PC, it scrapes the movie data and photos from the web, then I sink Zappiti with the Zappiti on the Dune. Would managing movies work basically the same or is all the scraping and organizing of movies done on the Shield and the computer is only used to transfer the movies over to it?

Sorry for the newbie questions, trying to get a handle on what I will need to be doing after this move.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Be sure you're getting direct play for video and audio, not transcoding in any way. Transcoding is the enemy. (See the first post of the following thread if the link doesn't take you there)

If it is truly "buffering" that you're experiencing, it sounds like you have a bottleneck somewhere in your network. See rule number eight in the link above.
I'll have to take a look at the Plex settings on the 2017 Shield and compare them with the settings on the 2019 Shield. I've rebooted the router twice but I haven't rebooted the Shield. I will do that next.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Anyway, I never have used a NAS with the Dune and have always used standalone hard drives connected to the Dune (I know, no hard drive backup system for my media).. What I have is three 2 TB NTFS hard drives with movies and series on them plugged into a multi port USB hub which then plugs into the Dune's USB port.

I am try to guage how much work this project will be. Will I be able to plug the USB hub with the hard drives into the Nvidia and be done or will I need to format each hard drive with the Nvidia so it will see my hard drives? If so, I need to format the drives and re-rip and download everything again to the formatted hard drives. A huge task that I would need to plan for. However if all I need to do is plug my current hard drives into the shield, I'll start the process of switching from my Dune to Nvidia sooner than later.
You should be able to just plug the USB hub with the drives into the Shield Pro. I have the Plex Server enabled on mine, and I filled the drive I use with files before I plugged it in, and both Plex and the players that come bundled with the Android TV OS on the Shield have no problem seeing and playing the files. All my material is personal and just stereo HD or SD, so I can't speak to other audio/video formats and support. But the files were instantly visible and available to play.

If you have Atmos or HDR encoded files on your drives, someone else here will have to answer how to get those going in their full majestic glory.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The Shield is capable of bitstream all lossless audio codecs, including Dolby TrueHD/Atmos and DTS Master Audio/DTS:X. Plex is capable of playing them fully lossless (assuming you have a supporting AVR), or you could use Kodi, MrMC, VLC or other players. They all will also do HDR just fine for compatible displays.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The Shield is capable of bitstream all lossless audio codecs, including Dolby TrueHD/Atmos and DTS Master Audio/DTS:X. Plex is capable of playing them fully lossless (assuming you have a supporting AVR), or you could use Kodi, MrMC, VLC or other players. They all will also do HDR just fine for compatible displays.
Speaking of supported formats, I have a bunch of still images dumped onto my Plex drive, and much to my surprise, it seems to only want to show .JPG files. It won't show .PNG files, nor will it show .WEBP files.

Is this normal? Did I miss a setting somewhere? I can almost understand not recognizing the .WEBP format, but not displaying .PNG? I currently use XNVIEW to batch convert those formats into JPG, but it's an annoying pain to have to do so.

EDIT: I clearly spaced out there for some reason. I was just playing with Plex and moved a few .PNG and a few .WEBP files to it, and everything displays correctly.

Is there a setting I missed somewhere for the Plex Photos folder that controls the dwell time on an image when looking at a slide show style display?

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Be sure you're getting direct play for video and audio, not transcoding in any way. Transcoding is the enemy. (See the first post of the following thread if the link doesn't take you there)

:D I like those first four rules. 😁

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
Well, today, Verizon FIOS started broadcast college football games in 4K again. Of course, I can't watch 4K live TVs properly on Shield TV because it does not support HLG. Can't wait to replace it with Google's box next week.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm looking to finally move away from cable.

I live in an 'RF bowl' with ZERO off air channels available, in the hills in the middle of a major metropolitan area. I actually hired someone at one point to come out and do a survey with a 40 foot crank-up tower and large rotatable antenna, and he said he's never seen anything so void of RF in his decades long career. Also, no cell signals from any of the carriers, no FM strong enough to light the 'Stereo' light. If I had proper off-air with an antenna, I would have done this years ago.

I'm looking for a high quality streaming service that will supply local channels plus some basic cable channels for my spouse that will run on the Shield Pro (and the AppleTV4K, if possible). I'm more interested in high quality and reliability than price.

Anyone using anything like that?
@DougDingle what do you have for a TV?

I've had Hulu with live TV for little over a year. Up until a couple months ago all of our streaming was on various Roku Boxes. On 1080p TVs Hulu's live TV looks very good, far better than the HD programming from DirecTV. On my 4K set (Sony 75x940D) with a Roku Ultra Hulu's live TV service was pretty comparable to DTV. This really never bothered me too much, because most of the Live TV shows I watch are available on demand one of the major streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc...) so for normal shows I just streamed on demand. So I really only used Hulu Live TV for NFL Football, and disappointingly was no better quality than DTV. Surprisingly live sports on some streaming apps (ESPN, Fox Sports Go) is much better quality, so I use those apps when they have the game I want to watch. I keep the Hulu Live TV subscription so I don't have to subscribe directly to those apps.

Why did I ask what TV you have? Two months ago I got a new TV (Sony 77A9G) and then a couple weeks later a Shield Pro. After getting the TV I learned Roku didn't support Dolby Vision so I got to looking at other streaming boxes. The Shield caught my eye so I started playing around with my TVs Android OS to see if I'd like it. I installed Hulu and was immediately surprised at the quality of the live TV programming; it was almost as good as their on demand quality.

Then I got the Shield. I got Hulu installed and immediately discovered their live TV programming looks terrible on the Shield, significantly worse than DTV. This did not make sense to me. Both TV and Shield were at the same Android OS level so I figured it is the same app, and provide the same quality. I still don't understand how they could be so different, but just accepted that they are, for now.

Once the NFL season started I discovered something else, quality of my local FOX channel is the same on both my TV and the Shield. It is similar to what I remember from the Roku and DTV. Since then I've done a bunch more testing with Hulu Live TV on both my TV and the Shield. The picture quality I get and see on my TV seems to be dependent on the native resolution of the channel I'm watching, but not how you would think. 1080i/p channels look extremely good (on demand like) using my TV's Hulu app and they look extremely horrible (completely unwatchable) on my Shield. 720p channels however look pretty much the same between my TV and the Shield, and pretty comparable to DTV, maybe a smidge better. Also, quality programs recorded on their cloud DVR is the same quality as if you were watching it live

I assume it's only a matter of time until until Hulu fixes whatever is causing the above problem with the Shield app. Like I said I don't watch a lot of live TV programing so this is "acceptable" to me. NFL games on my local FOX channel are similar to DTV. If the games are on CBS or ESPN, I'll use the Hulu app on my TV and they look great. Most other sports that I watch are available on another streaming service (ESPN, Fox Sports Go) and they are very good quality. The regular Fox Sports app seems to be similar in quality to Fox on Hulu Live TV, so about the same as DTV. Fox Sports Go is the one I can't figure out, baseball and hockey both look incredibly good, very on demand like. One last note, of all the apps I've mentioned here, the live TV programming on Hulu is the only one that varies in quality (without pixel peeping) between my TV and the Shield.

So based on your original post I can't say that I give Hulu Live TV a strong recommendation, but you may want to try it free for a week and see what it looks like on your Shield and on your TV.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
@DougDingle what do you have for a TV?

I've had Hulu with live TV for little over a year. Up until a couple months ago all of our streaming was on various Roku Boxes. On 1080p TVs Hulu's live TV looks very good, far better than the HD programming from DirecTV. On my 4K set (Sony 75x940D) with a Roku Ultra Hulu's live TV service was pretty comparable to DTV. This really never bothered me too much, because most of the Live TV shows I watch are available on demand one of the major streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc...) so for normal shows I just streamed on demand. So I really only used Hulu Live TV for NFL Football, and disappointingly was no better quality than DTV. Surprisingly live sports on some streaming apps (ESPN, Fox Sports Go) is much better quality, so I use those apps when they have the game I want to watch. I keep the Hulu Live TV subscription so I don't have to subscribe directly to those apps.

Why did I ask what TV you have? Two months ago I got a new TV (Sony 77A9G) and then a couple weeks later a Shield Pro. After getting the TV I learned Roku didn't support Dolby Vision so I got to looking at other streaming boxes. The Shield caught my eye so I started playing around with my TVs Android OS to see if I'd like it. I installed Hulu and was immediately surprised at the quality of the live TV programming; it was almost as good as their on demand quality.

Then I got the Shield. I got Hulu installed and immediately discovered their live TV programming looks terrible on the Shield, significantly worse than DTV. This did not make sense to me. Both TV and Shield were at the same Android OS level so I figured it is the same app, and provide the same quality. I still don't understand how they could be so different, but just accepted that they are, for now.

Once the NFL season started I discovered something else, quality of my local FOX channel is the same on both my TV and the Shield. It is similar to what I remember from the Roku and DTV. Since then I've done a bunch more testing with Hulu Live TV on both my TV and the Shield. The picture quality I get and see on my TV seems to be dependent on the native resolution of the channel I'm watching, but not how you would think. 1080i/p channels look extremely good (on demand like) using my TV's Hulu app and they look extremely horrible (completely unwatchable) on my Shield. 720p channels however look pretty much the same between my TV and the Shield, and pretty comparable to DTV, maybe a smidge better. Also, quality programs recorded on their cloud DVR is the same quality as if you were watching it live

I assume it's only a matter of time until until Hulu fixes whatever is causing the above problem with the Shield app. Like I said I don't watch a lot of live TV programing so this is "acceptable" to me. NFL games on my local FOX channel are similar to DTV. If the games are on CBS or ESPN, I'll use the Hulu app on my TV and they look great. Most other sports that I watch are available on another streaming service (ESPN, Fox Sports Go) and they are very good quality. The regular Fox Sports app seems to be similar in quality to Fox on Hulu Live TV, so about the same as DTV. Fox Sports Go is the one I can't figure out, baseball and hockey both look incredibly good, very on demand like. One last note, of all the apps I've mentioned here, the live TV programming on Hulu is the only one that varies in quality (without pixel peeping) between my TV and the Shield.

So based on your original post I can't say that I give Hulu Live TV a strong recommendation, but you may want to try it free for a week and see what it looks like on your Shield and on your TV.
Thanks for your extensive reply, and describing your research.

I have two 'main' TVs here. One is an LG 65E6 OLED, the other a Sony 49X900E. The LG is fed from a TiVo and an AppleTV4K, the Sony from a TiVo Mini and the Shield Pro. I also have several smaller sized Samsung Dumb TVs scattered through the house, fed by TiVo Minis.

Not a big Hulu fan. I don't know about Hulu Live, but their streaming service was extremely disappointing when I tried it. I don't understand how, with the same parent company, Disney+ can be so good and Hulu so awful.

The vast majority of recommendations I've gotten so far have all pointed to the YouTube service as the best quality (and also the highest priced, at $65/month, by far). I'm considering having a look by trying the free look-see they offer. At $65, it has to be all about image and sound quality because I can get a package from Spectrum with more channels for the same money (or less), and can continue to use my five room TiVo system.

When something 'looks terrible on the Shield', I recommend checking the AI Upscaling function, perhaps turning it off to see if things improve. I really don't care for it and have it turned off, but many people really like it. Maybe the AI is having an allergic reaction to Hulu. I do like the Shield quite a bit, but it does seem to suffer from outside influence in the same way everything running Android TV does - the apps are poorly written and sloppy, unlike the same apps for the ATV4K or the LG TV, which seem to be consistently better. After months and many emails (not just from me), CBS AA, for example, still hasn't bothered to fix their audio, which continues to be two channel stereo only.

If I do give the YouTube service a try, I'll report back what I find.

5541 - 5560 of 5840 Posts