AVS Forum banner

5581 - 5600 of 5845 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
This is not quite correct. Most movies are photographed at 24 fps and most television shows at either 24 or 30 fps. Even if the app outputs them at 60 Hz, they are streamed from the provider at the original frame rate to save bandwidth. The AI Upscaling feature takes place early in the signal chain before the frame rate conversion. I have the Shield tube, and its AI Upscaling has worked on pretty much anything I've watched, which is easily apparent from the edge haloes it creates at the higher settings.

The 30 fps limit is more of an issue for gaming than for watching TV shows and movies.
Before the recent update to my SHield Pro, there was a bunch of streaming content that did not work with the AI upscaling. Now it works with most of it on my 2019 SHield TV pro boxes.

Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This is all really good information. I was leaning towards the pro but figured I would ask if it is really worth the extra $50. I know it isn't much but it is still something if it can be saved. But it sounds like there are too many limitations with the tube that the pro remedies.
The built-in Plex server likely consumes far less power than the computer you run for that purpose (if that's all it's doing much of the time). And it seems more stable than either the version I ran on a standalone computer, or the version I ran on a TerraMaster NAS.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for the link.
So you really do not need the remote for this IR Receiver.
How would you program harmony to use this receiver with Shield Pro? You connect the receiver to the Shield through a USB 3 port.
Then on Harmony, what do you enter under "Device"?
You still choose the Nvidia Shield device. The USB IR receiver is purely that. It takes the IR signal from the Harmony and squirts it into the Shield via its USB port.

Reactions: ppasteur

·
Registered
61 Posts
The built-in Plex server likely consumes far less power than the computer you run for that purpose (if that's all it's doing much of the time). And it seems more stable than either the version I ran on a standalone computer, or the version I ran on a TerraMaster NAS.
I do use the PC for more than just Plex so I will keep it running there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks for the link.
So you really do not need the remote for this IR Receiver.
How would you program harmony to use this receiver with Shield Pro? You connect the receiver to the Shield through a USB 3 port.
Then on Harmony, what do you enter under "Device"?
As a user already pointed out, you use the Nvidia Shield as the device in Harmony. Harmony setup found it when I set mine up.
I find that the Harmony does everything that I need it to do when using the Shield for every day activities.
I have a 4 port USB 3 Hub connected to one of the Shield 2019 Pro USB ports. This allows me to plug the IR device and a 4 TB drive in at the same time.
The second USB port on the Shield is used for an SSD to increase internal storage . If you don't need multiple USB devices connected to the Shield, you can just plug the IR receiver directly into a free USB ports on the Shield.

The receiver just takes the IR codes from the Harmony and transfers them to the Shield.... I guess SQUIRTS is as good a term as any.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You still choose the Nvidia Shield device. The USB IR receiver is purely that. It takes the IR signal from the Harmony and squirts it into the Shield via its USB port.
As a user already pointed out, you use the Nvidia Shield as the device in Harmony. Harmony setup found it when I set mine up.
I find that the Harmony does everything that I need it to do when using the Shield for every day activities.
I have a 4 port USB 3 Hub connected to one of the Shield 2019 Pro USB ports. This allows me to plug the IR device and a 4 TB drive in at the same time.
The second USB port on the Shield is used for an SSD to increase internal storage . If you don't need multiple USB devices connected to the Shield, you can just plug the IR receiver directly into a free USB ports on the Shield.

The receiver just takes the IR codes from the Harmony and transfers them to the Shield.... I guess SQUIRTS is as good a term as any.
Many thanks for your help and directions.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
If you don't need multiple USB devices connected to the Shield, you can just plug the IR receiver directly into a free USB ports on the Shield.
What is the IR receiver that you use to plug into the USB port on the shield so that it works with harmony remote? Thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
What is the IR receiver that you use to plug into the USB port on the shield so that it works with harmony remote? Thanks
I posted the link a few posts above (previous page).

And @k2dak mentioned one as well.

Then there is the FLIRC that is mentioned many times in this thread. Linked directly above.

The one I got from Amazon was plug and play. I set up an activity with the Shield as the device and it just works. The receiver does not have a wide field of view though. I have to be careful to point the Harmony 1 directly at it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a USB flash drive with some mp3 and mk4 files that I play via Kodi on a 2019 Shield Pro. I also have a Shield tube in another room, and both Shields are on the same wireless network. Is there any way that the Tube can play the media files off the flash drive that is inserted into the Pro? I don't think so, but wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I have a USB flash drive with some mp3 and mk4 files that I play via Kodi on a 2019 Shield Pro. I also have a Shield tube in another room, and both Shields are on the same wireless network. Is there any way that the Tube can play the media files off the flash drive that is inserted into the Pro? I don't think so, but wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do this. Thanks.
The Pro has Plex Media Server Built-in and therefore can be used to House and Manage your local content. You can use the Shield Pro to distribute your local content to your Shield "Tube", as well as other mobile devices in and out of your home.

Plex.TV

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
92 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered, but my searching hasn't produced any clear answers so...

A bit of a long shot, but I'm about to upgrade from a "Tube" to a 2019 Pro and would really like to not have to configure the new device from scratch. Is there any way to save and transfer any of the settings or app configurations from the old device to the new one? I'm guessing not, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Pro has Plex Media Server Built-in and therefore can be used to House and Manage your local content. You can use the Shield Pro to distribute your local content to your Shield "Tube", as well as other mobile devices in and out of your home.

Plex.TV
Thanks. Could I still use Kodi to play content and just use Plex to distribute the local content?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You can enable sharing from the Shield across your network, and allow for the "Tube" to access content from the USB Drive connected to the Shield Pro.

Or you can add the Plex Addon for Kodi on theTube to stream your content from the Shield Pro. The interface will look like Plex, but Playback will all run through Kodi.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thanks. Could I still use Kodi to play content and just use Plex to distribute the local content?
That's basically what I do, except I use Serviio as my media server and not Plex. Since I have a computer running full time anyway, it's easier for me to use it as my media server, especially since I have some devices that require video transcoding for an occasional unsupported codec.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I tried Audioquest Cobalt with my Nvidia Shield TV Pro that has USB audio output. There is very loud pop/click sound when i play content. I sent email to Audioquest and got this concerning reply, below. HAS ANYONE TRIED USB DAC WITH SHIELD TV PRO AND NOT ENCOUNTERED THIS LOUD CLICK WHEN CHANGING PROGRAMS?
From Audioquest;
“The Android operating system does not fully support the USB Audio Class profile correctly. We have sent them a bunch of data but they still won't correct the operation.
They are probably turning the power off to the DF until content is going there then turning it on and so forth the pop.

When it plays is the volume really low?

You should be sending support questions to them so they are aware of the problem. Some Android companies like Sony and LG have fixed the USB Audio Class problems and are more compliant. Companies like Samsung have broken the parts of it that work. The big problem for us is being compliant with all these companies that are not. It's like the wild west in Android land there is no oversight or regulations to what you can do with the OS.”

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am probably just completely overlooking something. I have the pro version, and I have movies stored on a shared hard drive. I have been able to access and play these movies fine but there is no movie cover art/descriptions. Can someone point me to how to get cover art/descriptions working hopefully in an automated manner? Do I need to use plex for this?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I am probably just completely overlooking something. I have the pro version, and I have movies stored on a shared hard drive. I have been able to access and play these movies fine but there is no movie cover art/descriptions. Can someone point me to how to get cover art/descriptions working hopefully in an automated manner? Do I need to use plex for this?
What app are you using to access your content from the hard drive? You would need an app such as Kodi, Emby, or Plex in order for metadata from the content you view to populate and create Cover Art and descriptions.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What app are you using to access your content from the hard drive? You would need an app such as Kodi, Emby, or Plex in order for metadata from the content you view to populate and create Cover Art and descriptions.
Using Kodi. I can see the file list just fine, just no artwork or descriptions. I didn't know if I should expect it to show up or not. Should Kodi be showing it automatically?

5581 - 5600 of 5845 Posts