AVS Forum banner

5761 - 5780 of 5842 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
DV=Dolby Vision. Plex can play them on the Shield (which like you i prefer their UI) but i was curious about Kodi and SPMC.
I tried Kodi for a couple of weeks and it seemed harder to use than Plex and I also like the Plex interface better.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I also lost 5.1 from Amazon Prime on the Shield yet again. Some days it works but most days it doesn't. And please don't tell me to turn off Dolby Audio Processing in the Shield's setup menus, because I have never once turned that on.

The Amazon Prime app on Roku seems to be perfectly stable, whereas the Amazon Prime app on Shield is totally borked. Regardless of whether you place the blame for that on Amazon or on NVIDIA, the result is that it makes using the Shield much less desirable for streaming from Amazon.
Prime on Roku devices has plenty of problems, especially with (but definitely not limited to) the Express+ line - every few weeks the Prime app wont load/play/etc, especially with composite output (a repeating/recurring issue).

Then there's the longstanding issue of subtitles not following Roku's global subtitle/CC settings (e.g. it wont follow the fully transparent background setting, making it fully opaque instead).

..or the repeating "have to re-activate Prime every day/few days" issue (not limited to just Prime, but perhaps impacting it the most often)...

The fact is, Prime on any platform is a repeating bit of digital dumpster fire, mostly due to the fact that Amazon treats it as an afterthought for the Prime service itself, even with all the recent changes.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The fact is, Prime on any platform is a repeating bit of digital dumpster fire, mostly due to the fact that Amazon treats it as an afterthought for the Prime service itself, even with all the recent changes.
This has proven to be correct here. Even their own hardware (I have two Firestick4K devices) pukes up on a regular basis when using it for Prime content. It's the perfect platform and app if you enjoy non-stop updates that break stuff and playing whack-a-mole with what is and isn't supported today. And enjoy watching commercials/trailers for their other content before they let you watch what you just selected.

It's my least favorite streaming service due to their massive incompetence.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This has proven to be correct here. Even their own hardware (I have two Firestick4K devices) pukes up on a regular basis when using it for Prime content. It's the perfect platform and app if you enjoy non-stop updates that break stuff and playing whack-a-mole with what is and isn't supported today. And enjoy watching commercials/trailers for their other content before they let you watch what you just selected.

It's my least favorite streaming service due to their massive incompetence.
Thanks, I wondered about their own hardware. Personally I only keep renewing the service for two reasons, Prime free delivery and flickering, 4K content with ATMOS;)

Just yesterday I found another bug in their app. An old TV series "Castle" appeared to have a band of hazy whitish effect on the top part of the screen. I thought my projector bulb was dying. Eventually I found out that it was caused by the information overlay when one episode ends and the next automatically begins that never completely disappears (text is only removed).
It can be fixed by exiting the episode (not the app) and resuming the episode. The overlay will now clear properly removing that hazy white band. For all I know this may be a common issue with overlays and binging but other series don't include a semi-transparent white band so I've not noticed it before.
The word dumpster fire is so very accurate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know nvidia answer for this is: Not in any future plans but i wonder if anyone was able to successfully use ethernet and wifi at the same time. Meaning, using ethernet to connect to your pc shares and using wifi to connect to the internet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DV=Dolby Vision. Plex can play them on the Shield (which like you i prefer their UI) but i was curious about Kodi and SPMC.
Kodi 19 can play p5 DV files (mp4)
Kodi 18 cannot play DV, but there is a workaround to use external player. I use modified exoplayer with Kodi 18 to play DV in mkv

Does the Shield 2019 support Dolby Vision for ripped blu-ray movies ?
Yes, it does. It can play single track double layer rip in ts, mp4 or mkv containers.
Plex and MakeMkv is all you need.
But there is known issue with red colour saturation. - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/346685/wrong-colours-in-dolby-vision/
Until it fixed shield cannot be recommended to play DV rips

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does the Shield 2019 support Dolby Vision for ripped blu-ray movies ?
Yes, but you need the latest beta versions of Plex Media Server and the Plex Client.

I've heard that Emby also has some early/alpha/experimental support.

Just to be clear, DV only comes from 4K UHD discs.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yes, but you need the latest beta versions of Plex Media Server and the Plex Client.

I've heard that Emby also has some early/alpha/experimental support.

Just to be clear, DV only comes from 4K UHD discs.
I am getting DV using a combination of the beta Plex player and the Google Play public version of Plex Media Server (screenshots below). Also, I think you misspoke or I misunderstood your comment that “DV only comes from UHD disks”. Obviously you can download display manufacturers DV demo files and you can stream DV.
EB90BF9B-3D05-4D8E-9957-0E13F9E3FCB8.jpeg A603689F-D93F-4FD7-9289-B4692366C987.jpeg

·
Registered
357 Posts
Also, I think you misspoke or I misunderstood your comment that “DV only comes from UHD disks”. Obviously you can download display manufacturers DV demo files and you can stream DV.
Yes, of course, you are correct. My comment wasn't that clear. I was referring to the OP's comment about DV from Blu Rays whereas it is 4K UHD Blu Rays. I had my pedant hat on :).

Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yes, of course, you are correct. My comment wasn't that clear. I was referring to the OP's comment about DV from Blu Rays whereas it is 4K UHD Blu Rays. I had my pedant hat on :).
Understood. I knew you are familiar with it because I see your comments on the Plex Pass PMS forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have seen mention in this thread of being able to get DV through plex with MKV files but needing to update the server version and player version. I have a plex pass and was wondering does anyone know what server version I need to be on and what player version? I am trying to get this figured out to do some testing but having trouble finding the version numbers that work.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have seen mention in this thread of being able to get DV through plex with MKV files but needing to update the server version and player version. I have a plex pass and was wondering does anyone know what server version I need to be on and what player version? I am trying to get this figured out to do some testing but having trouble finding the version numbers that work.
Scroll up for the server version. For the player I’m using beta version 8.8.0.21074. You can also find betas for both at apkmirror.com.

Edit: Plex Media Server 1.20.3.3437 is now available to everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5761 - 5780 of 5842 Posts