AVS Forum banner

5781 - 5800 of 5842 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
So my server is on 1.20.3.3437. I am guessing since that is newer than what was posted I should be ok?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
So my server is on 1.20.3.3437. I am guessing since that is newer than what was posted I should be ok?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Beta player/client may be required too, I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I'm having a problem with Disney+ on my 2019 Shield Pro. When I launch the app I only get a spinning wheel. I just: updated the Shield, did multiple restarts, cleared the cache and uninstalled/reinstalled the app. Nothing has made any change. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Dolby Vision is NOT possible as it seems:

You are showing old posts. MKV standard has since been updated to incorporate DV metadata, MakeMKV has been updated, and Plex has incorporated latest version of exoplayer to support playback. With rips from MakeMKV 1.15.3 and latest beta of Plex client on Shield 2019 Dolby Vison indeed works as many have reported including myself.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I know nvidia answer for this is: Not in any future plans but i wonder if anyone was able to successfully use ethernet and wifi at the same time. Meaning, using ethernet to connect to your pc shares and using wifi to connect to the internet.
I have at least a dozen devices here, including the Shield, that support both wired and wireless, but not one of them allows both to be active at the same time. Not one.

I can't imagine how something like that would be made to work without a great deal of redesign (and endless potential for end user confusion).

Out of curiosity, if the hardware has a hard wire connection available, why on earth would you elect to have it use the far less capable/stable wi-fi to stream content?

·
Premium Member
35,388 Posts
I have at least a dozen devices here, including the Shield, that support both wired and wireless, but not one of them allows both to be active at the same time. Not one.

I can't imagine how something like that would be made to work without a great deal of redesign (and endless potential for end user confusion).

Out of curiosity, if the hardware has a hard wire connection available, why on earth would you elect to have it use the far less capable/stable wi-fi to stream content?
Not only that, you'd have a large latency sync issue to deal with as the wired data stream will be ahead of the wireless stream.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have my shield connected to HTPC through ethernet cable and my HTPC also has a wifi connection so i can connect to the internet. I can easily share that connection with ethernet device (Shield) connected to the HTPC. So i get gigabit ethernet from my HTPC (where my media is stored) plus internet through the same cable. But i wonder if i could use the wifi on shield and then i would have the ethernet free for local playback and all the other stuff like annoying updates and everything shield does on the internet level in the background while im playing a local movie from my HTPC would fall on the Shield wifi connection.

If thats impossible is because android tv or android is limited. You can have as many ethernet cards as you want on HTPC and as many Wi-Fi connections you want on HTPC in windows 10. I use to have 2 ethernet connection on at the same time plus a wifi connection on windows 10. I dont know why android developers didnt think that could be usefull.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have my shield connected to HTPC through ethernet cable and my HTPC also has a wifi connection so i can connect to the internet. I can easily share that connection with ethernet device (Shield) connected to the HTPC. So i get gigabit ethernet from my HTPC (where my media is stored) plus internet through the same cable. But i wonder if i could use the wifi on shield and then i would have the ethernet free for local playback and all the other stuff like annoying updates and everything shield does on the internet level in the background while im playing a local movie from my HTPC would fall on the Shield wifi connection.

If thats impossible is because android tv or android is limited. You can have as many ethernet cards as you want on HTPC and as many Wi-Fi connections you want on HTPC in windows 10. I use to have 2 ethernet connection on at the same time plus a wifi connection on windows 10. I dont know why android developers didnt think that could be usefull.
That seems like a unconventional setup you have. Most folks would add a hub and homerun ethernet. Or use wifi on both the htpc and shield and stream media via smb/nfs. Since you have that setup and working already, shouldn't the shield also pickup the internet connection via ethernet from the htpc?
As for the part in bold, I don't think it makes a difference. Good AC wifi can stream 4k content and audio so whats the point. Seems like a unnecessary complication that you have here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats the point. Shield can connect to 5GHz internet and the wi-fi on my HTPC can`t. thats why i wanted to use Shield Wifi plus ethernet same time. Because i could stream ~120mbps from the internet and use the gigabit ethernet from my HTPC. Right now i can only get 40mbps internet from my HTPC which is plenty but....

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thats the point. Shield can connect to 5GHz internet and the wi-fi on my HTPC can`t. thats why i wanted to use Shield Wifi plus ethernet same time. Because i could stream ~120mbps from the internet and use the gigabit ethernet from my HTPC. Right now i can only get 40mbps internet from my HTPC which is plenty but....
Right, sharing the network connection is always slower on the client device. Have you tried smb/nfs and wifi on the shield? As I mentioned before, you can add a hub/switch and homerun ethernet to it or use smb/nfs and wifi.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
I know nvidia answer for this is: Not in any future plans but i wonder if anyone was able to successfully use ethernet and wifi at the same time. Meaning, using ethernet to connect to your pc shares and using wifi to connect to the internet.
What would be the use case for that? I can connect to both the INternet and PC shares from the same connection and still get very fast speeds.. Why would I need two connections to accomplish the same thing?

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I'm having a problem with Disney+ on my 2019 Shield Pro. When I launch the app I only get a spinning wheel. I just: updated the Shield, did multiple restarts, cleared the cache and uninstalled/reinstalled the app. Nothing has made any change. Any advice?
I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Disney+ to have them tell me everything that I already tried.

Not mentioned in my first post was that I also tried different resolutions on the Shield. I should also mention that D+ was working before.

I'm looking for suggestions before I reset the Shield. It will be very aggravating if I do a reset and it still doesn't work. I'm not looking forward to signing back in to all the streaming services.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Disney+ to have them tell me everything that I already tried.

Not mentioned in my first post was that I also tried different resolutions on the Shield. I should also mention that D+ was working before.

I'm looking for suggestions before I reset the Shield. It will be very aggravating if I do a reset and it still doesn't work. I'm not looking forward to signing back in to all the streaming services.

Thanks
Are other streaming services to which you subscribe working?

I would try deleting the app's cache and data, then deleting the app, waiting a couple of minutes, then unplugging the Shield for a few minutes (a restart isn't always the same as a full power down), then re-downloading and installing the app and see if things improve. You will have to sign in to Disney+ again, and it will have lost info on Disney+ content you've watched, partially or otherwise.

If that doesn't work, I don't see that doing a full reset on the Shield will improve things, especially if you subscribe to other services that are working.

It's also possible that the Disney+ server your app hits is down. I don't know if all the Disney+ apps everywhere go to one server (which would be stupid), but then it is Disney.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How does the shield handle 4K UHD Remuxes? I am trying to use PLEX to play an 87 Mbps bitrate rip on an X900H via a relatively high end HTPC media and am getting frequent buffering.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
319 Posts
How does the shield handle 4K UHD Remuxes? I am trying to use PLEX to play an 87 Mbps bitrate rip on an X900H via a relatively high end HTPC media and am getting frequent buffering.
Should handle it fine. I stream UHD movies from my Plex server to the Plex client on the Shield frequently and don’t have any buffering issues. This is over wi-fi too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5781 - 5800 of 5842 Posts