AVS Forum banner

5801 - 5820 of 5842 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
How does the shield handle 4K UHD Remuxes? I am trying to use PLEX to play an 87 Mbps bitrate rip on an X900H via a relatively high end HTPC media and am getting frequent buffering.
I watched Gemini Man (89.9 Mbps) last night on my Shield Pro 2019 with the Plex Android beta client. No problem or buffering and got both Dolby Vision & True HD Atmos. All my devices are hard wired.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I watched Gemini Man (89.9 Mbps) last night on my Shield Pro 2019 with the Plex Android beta client. No problem or buffering and got both Dolby Vision & True HD Atmos. All my devices are hard wired.
I've found that my 4k HDR local titles work better with a wired connection. Every time I try watching with a wifi only connection, it starts to buffer. I don't know how to get the beta client to test .mkv DV files and I don't have a Plex Pass.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've found that my 4k HDR local titles work better with a wired connection. Every time I try watching with a wifi only connection, it starts to buffer. I don't know how to get the beta client to test .mkv DV files and I don't have a Plex Pass.
You only need Plex Pass for the beta versions of the server. There is now a public release of the server that supports DV. The beta client can be downloaded from the Plex forums. You then need to side load it on to the Shield.

Reactions: lujan

·
Registered
10,006 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Reactions: lujan

·
Registered
357 Posts
For those who have updated to the recently released version of Plex Server, are there any issues with it?
Not that I have encountered but then I haven't done any specific testing other than just using it normally to watch ripped media.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wasn't looking for a thorough review, just wanted to know if anyone's Shield, y'know, caught on fire after installing it. 😁
I run Plex Server on my ReadyNAS anyway with just the client on the Shield.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
For those who have updated to the recently released version of Plex Server, are there any issues with it?
No issues after 2 days. I’ve scanned in some movies, and watched a few. I always backup my PMS Plex Media Server directory every week just to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DougDingle

·
Registered
256 Posts
How does the shield handle 4K UHD Remuxes? I am trying to use PLEX to play an 87 Mbps bitrate rip on an X900H via a relatively high end HTPC media and am getting frequent buffering.
You're looking to get a Shield to replace your HTPC? My 2019 Shield Pro is handling every remux I've thrown at it from an attached USB 3.0 external HDD. I highly recommend it.

If you haven't seen this thread, it's good to make sure you're "playing by the rules" of playing 4K on Plex.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You should follow this site and make your own settings:
Hi.

Thanks for all the replies.
I followed the guide and I am still unable to get pass through working.
  • Audio output device = IEC
  • Enable audio DSP processing = off
  • Enable passthrough = on
  • Passthrough output device = IEC
The above settings aren't even available, nor are any of the codec selections.
And just so you don't think I'm smoking crack here are some photos..

On the Player settings there is a passthrough but doesn't do diddly.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hi.

Thanks for all the replies.
I followed the guide and I am still unable to get pass through working.
  • Audio output device = IEC
  • Enable audio DSP processing = off
  • Enable passthrough = on
  • Passthrough output device = IEC
The above settings aren't even available, nor are any of the codec selections.
And just so you don't think I'm smoking crack here are some photos..

On the Player settings there is a passthrough but doesn't do diddly.
Download Kodi or MrMC. There are some options missing in the Audio Section that you posted. You are in "Expert" mode, however you should also have options such as Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTSMA Capable Receiver. Those options should be enabled, thus allowing you to stream Lossless Audio formats such as the ones above, including Dolby Atmos, and DTS-X.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Prime on my 2019 Shield (tube model) is sending stereo for everything. (Vudu and Disney + are sending Atmos over DD+.)

Is there a workaround to get Atmos or at least 5.1? I only need it for 1080p material - to get the AI Upscaling.

My 2019 Roku Ultra and 2019 4K Fire Stick are both getting 5.1 DD + from Prime. No Atmos from Prime on any Device.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Prime on my 2019 Shield (tube model) is sending stereo for everything. (Vudu and Disney + are sending Atmos over DD+.)

Is there a workaround to get Atmos or at least 5.1? I only need it for 1080p material - to get the AI Upscaling.

My 2019 Roku Ultra and 2019 4K Fire Stick are both getting 5.1 DD + from Prime. No Atmos from Prime on any Device.
Which firmware version are you on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay I have been having an issue for quite a while, it went away recently and came back, Plex app has absurd audio delay from the video, can get to 4-6 seconds, but when I play through Kodi's Plex Plugin, things are fine.. Is there a reason or a fix for this?

5801 - 5820 of 5842 Posts