AVS Forum banner

5901 - 5920 of 6400 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a Shield TV 2019 and an LG 65" B7 Oled. Whenever I switch to the Shield, I have no sound UNTIL I power cycle the TV. It does not do this when I switch to my PS3 or to the cable box, only with the Shield.

I have the shield connected via HDMI certified cables directly to the TV, with CEC turned off. I ARC back to my Yamaha RX2080 receiver for sound.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what the solution might be. I would rather not power cycle the TV this often 1. Increased wear and tear. 2. It's simply annoying.

Any help from the bottomless fountain of knowledge that is the AVS Forum would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a Shield TV 2019 and an LG 65" B7 Oled. Whenever I switch to the Shield, I have no sound UNTIL I power cycle the TV. It does not do this when I switch to my PS3 or to the cable box, only with the Shield.

I have the shield connected via HDMI certified cables directly to the TV, with CEC turned off. I ARC back to my Yamaha RX2080 receiver for sound.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what the solution might be. I would rather not power cycle the TV this often 1. Increased wear and tear. 2. It's simply annoying.

Any help from the bottomless fountain of knowledge that is the AVS Forum would be greatly appreciated.
Have you considered connecting your Shield directly to the AVR rather than to the TV?

·
Registered
26,980 Posts

What about power cycling the Shield instead of the TV? Does that also work? If not, try unplugging the Shield's power cable for a hard shutdown.

Do you wake the Shield from sleep before or after you turn the TV to that HDMI input? I have a different issue (wrong color space sync leaving the entire picture awash in bright green) and have found it best to leave the Shield sleeping until after I've turned on the display and selected the appropriate HDMI input. If the Shield is the last thing I turn on, everything seems to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about power cycling the Shield instead of the TV? Does that also work? If not, try unplugging the Shield's power cable for a hard shutdown.

Do you wake the Shield from sleep before or after you turn the TV to that HDMI input? I have a different issue (wrong color space sync leaving the entire picture awash in bright green) and have found it best to leave the Shield sleeping until after I've turned on the display and selected the appropriate HDMI input. If the Shield is the last thing I turn on, everything seems to work.
When I hit the power button on the Shield the Shield and the TV turns on at the same time and I frequently get the green screen too. Or at least I did on my 2014 Sony. I recently replaced this TV with a 2020 Sony model and haven’t experienced the green screen since.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Judging from the responses, the HDHR Prime 3 seems the one and only choice if I want to go with the Shield. Will check out ebay. Thanks for all the input.
It works well though, paired with Emby or Plex it makes a sweet DVR (I have never messed with SD's DVR stuff).

I had all my recordings dumped to emby after they were ran through mcebuddy to strip commercials and then convert to x265.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Have you considered connecting your Shield directly to the AVR rather than to the TV?
Even though the2080 is SUPPOSED to allow the signal from the Shield to flow through without any video processing, that is not the case when I turn video processing off. The picture is decidedly darker when I connect through the Yammy. I think it may have to do with passing the video with Nvidia AI scaling engaged, and I much prefer the PQ in that mode,

·
Registered
888 Posts

I'm running with a Harmony Elite remote and the turn on sequence turns the Shield on before the TV.

What I really need to be able to do is reinitialize the HDMI handshake without power cycling any component. If anyone knows how to do this, I would be most appreciative.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
For reasons that are unclear to me I get intermittent stuttering from my 2019 Shield pro when viewing 23.978 FPS sources sent as 59.94 Hz. This was on my C7 and now CX LG OLED which should handle 24fps in a 60fps signal without issue but for some reason on the Shield it does not. This is with motion processing off and using "real cinema" which is 5:5 pulldown. I use my Shield mostly for 1080p and 4K blu-ray rips via Plex so not usually an issue with Plex's auto frame rate switching. I typically use my ATV 4K for everything else but I would like to take advantage of the AI upscaling for some 1008p streaming content from the major players - Netflix, Amazon, Hulu. I have found Nvidia's beta frame matching and the refresh rate app both to be glitchy (especially with HDR/DV) and prefer not to use them. It seems to me that almost all movies and newer shows are 23.978 but don't really know as I haven't always paid attention. I know some are 24fps but not sure how many. If the vast majority are truly 23.978 then I can just leave my Shield in 23.978. The slower GUI motion doesn't bother me much. So I guess my main question is my assumption that most content is 23.978 correct? Of course if someone has a different solution I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm running with a Harmony Elite remote and the turn on sequence turns the Shield on before the TV.

What I really need to be able to do is reinitialize the HDMI handshake without power cycling any component. If anyone knows how to do this, I would be most appreciative.
This is the most brilliant idea I've read on any forum in ages! With all the headaches associated with HDMI handshake issues, one would think that being able to manually force the handshake sequence would have become a universal feature ages ago. To anyone who can make it happen: Here, take my money!!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Are you putting the Shield into Sleep/Standby mode or is the device literally turning off.

I use a Harmony Remote to control my devices as well, and the Shield and TV only go into sleep mode when I turn the devices off? The only components that actually turn off are my AVR and Amp.

When I press the command "Turn on Shield" on my Harmony Remote, both the TV and Shield are awaken and I'm presented with the main screen on the Shield.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you tried changing the order, such that the AVR turns on first (if there’s one in your setup), then the TV, then the Shield? I use that order with my Harmony for all of my source devices, and have not had any handshake issues.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
This is the most brilliant idea I've read on any forum in ages! With all the headaches associated with HDMI handshake issues, one would think that being able to manually force the handshake sequence would have become a universal feature ages ago. To anyone who can make it happen: Here, take my money!!!
The low tech, inexpensive way to force an HDMI handshake (if it's physically possible in a given setup) is to momentarily disconnect and reconnect the HDMI connection from the source at either end.

Other than that (or powering down, of course) I know of one other way to do it - on my setup, when something similar happens on occasion, it can be fixed/reset by changing the source's resolution (if that's possible).

For example, I have an HD TiVo Roamio on Spectrum Cable going through a Denon 4300 AVR and feeding an LG E6 OLED, and occasionally as I change channels on the TiVo between one sending 1080i to one sending 720p or 480i, the handshake will fail and I'll get a full screen of green or very fine digital 'snow'. If I change channels to a different resolution and then change back, the problem clears up 99% of the time. Occasionally, I have to do it twice. I suspect the issue is between the TiVo and the Denon, but haven't bothered to track it down, since the fix will not be affected. Also note that everything in the chain is at least four years old, and things have improved since they were bought.

While this happens a lot less often than it used to when HDMI was first introduced, it's astonishing that after all these years it's still as fragile as it is.

·
Registered
26,980 Posts
Harmony will let you reprogram the turn-on sequence to start the Shield last. It may also make sense to insert a small delay before Shield, in order to give the other equipment time to power on and sync.

Are you putting the Shield into Sleep/Standby mode or is the device literally turning off.

I use a Harmony Remote to control my devices as well, and the Shield and TV only go into sleep mode when I turn the devices off? The only components that actually turn off are my AVR and Amp.
I have the Shield 2019 tube, and it automatically goes into sleep mode after 20 minutes of no activity. I don't believe there's a way to turn this off.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Harmony will let you reprogram the turn-on sequence to start the Shield last. It may also make sense to insert a small delay before Shield, in order to give the other equipment time to power on and sync.

I have the Shield 2019 tube, and it automatically goes into sleep mode after 20 minutes of no activity. I don't believe there's a way to turn this off.
Settings, Device Preferences, Screen Saver.

You can adjust the time of the screen saver as well as power management in this section.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: NotShorty

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The easiest and quickest way I know to force an HDMI handshake is simply to pick up the AVR remote, press the button for a different input, and then press the button for the input you want to make do a new handshake.

I do this, for example, with a handful of badly-authored UHD disks that come up looking very dark whenever they're first read, even if I've fixed the playback, simply ejected the disk and then had the player pull the disk back in, it comes back up dark.

So I simply hit the button to change my AVR's input to the Shield and then back to the disk player. Viola!

Before I came up with this trick I was going over to my player and unplugging and re-seating its HDMI cable whenever a disk started up dark, to get the disk playing properly.

The same trick should work with the Shield or any other source device - switch away and then back, forcing a new HDMI handshake. Quick and easy. No need to get up and fiddle with the cables (shortening the life of the connectors in the process).

Reactions: beerhunt and rlb

·
Registered
34 Posts
For reasons that are unclear to me I get intermittent stuttering from my 2019 Shield pro when viewing 23.978 FPS sources sent as 59.94 Hz. This was on my C7 and now CX LG OLED which should handle 24fps in a 60fps signal without issue but for some reason on the Shield it does not. This is with motion processing off and using "real cinema" which is 5:5 pulldown. I use my Shield mostly for 1080p and 4K blu-ray rips via Plex so not usually an issue with Plex's auto frame rate switching. I typically use my ATV 4K for everything else but I would like to take advantage of the AI upscaling for some 1008p streaming content from the major players - Netflix, Amazon, Hulu. I have found Nvidia's beta frame matching and the refresh rate app both to be glitchy (especially with HDR/DV) and prefer not to use them. It seems to me that almost all movies and newer shows are 23.978 but don't really know as I haven't always paid attention. I know some are 24fps but not sure how many. If the vast majority are truly 23.978 then I can just leave my Shield in 23.978. The slower GUI motion doesn't bother me much. So I guess my main question is my assumption that most content is 23.978 correct? Of course if someone has a different solution I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
I have the exact same problem of stuttering, but it happens only in DV. SDR and HDR10 contents are fine. Really weird...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nvidia shield 4k. Issues
2 x 8tb usb WD external hd

It seems I have to reboot the unit regularly as it gets frozen regarding the external hard drives...

Not sure it can be traced specifically to the hard drives for USB connection..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Anyone use the HBO Max app for Shield Pro? Does it have 5.1 or stereo audio? Succession seasons 1 & 2 is what I want to inquire about. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi.. I am new to the AV game here and planning to buy nvidia shield to go with my lg cx and samsung q900r TVs.. both the TVs donot support dts.. I majorly watch downloaded content through external hard drive.. is nvidia shield good choice to play 1080 and 4k HDR content.. pros and cons.. any help would be appreciated..

5901 - 5920 of 6400 Posts