AVS Forum banner

7221 - 7240 of 7554 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Prime video surround sound?
Sorry if this has been discussed but I had to go into shield audio settings to disable Dolby processing in order to get surround sound on Prime app. What if any are the downsides of keeping this setting disabled? Thx!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Prime video surround sound?
Sorry if this has been discussed but I had to go into shield audio settings to disable Dolby processing in order to get surround sound on Prime app. What if any are the downsides of keeping this setting disabled? Thx!
As long as you have an external DD processor (AVR) you want that setting off. That setting is for TV's that don't support DD so no down side to leaving it off. The Shield has it on by default because people who have TV's that don't support DD would get no audio on DD content.

Reactions: leiff

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is there a way to send a source direct signal from the shield. Currently it’s up scaling 1080p content to 4K and I would rather my lumagen do that. Also I don’t want to have to change settings every time I switch between 1080 and4k

thanks

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Is there a way to send a source direct signal from the shield. Currently it’s up scaling 1080p content to 4K and I would rather my lumagen do that. Also I don’t want to have to change settings every time I switch between 1080 and4k

thanks
I haven't found a way so I doubt that it's even possible.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I noticed that some of you are using older JVC projectors (RS500-like) and HDFury devices for HDR. For those of you fitting this description, you might want to check out the HDR mode switch optimization you get with Apex. For me, Apex makes a huge impact when running a Shield / Kodi / Netflix.

Here's a video I created a couple days ago.

More discussion is at the AVS thread in my signature.

·
Premium Member
35,574 Posts
FRAMERATE ISSUES-
Is Netflix out putting everything at 24fps now? I set the auto refresh quickmap to the settings button on the top right of my shield Pro remote. Every time I use this feature while watching a Netflix program it set it to 24 FPS. I know this is the common refresh rate for movies, but it's doing this for everything I try, including TV shows. I like to keep 60 hertz in my shield settings because I watch a lot of YouTube videos and they would look choppy if I kept my shield at 24fps. Can someone who has used the app that makes Netflix Auto refresh rate, let me know if thats still working as support for it seems to have stopped. All I want to use this app for is to make sure all my Netflix shows automatically switch to 24 FPS.
As far as Amazon Prime on Shield, how do I even know what the native refresh rate is for any particular show I'm watching?

EDIT- finally found some content on Netflix that's not 24fps. Some European shows on Netflix are outputting 25 fps I'm guessing because it divides by 2 and 50 FPS is a European frame rate. Can't find any 60fps native content on Netflix though.
A list or Netflix 24.0 fps content, the list is incomplete as there are more titles added all the time.

Apple TV 4K lacks support for 24.000 video

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a really weird issue with my Shield whenever I display DV content (in an MKV) on my LG CX through Plex.

Playing DV content in Plex will repeatedly trigger the "Dolby Vision" notification on the CX. Sometimes this occurs 4-5 times and then stops, and sometime it continues without end, popping up the DV notification every 10-20 seconds. My Shield, my CX, and Plex are all running their respective updated and stable versions. I'm running Monoprice Certified High Speed Cables (Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics). This behaviour occurs whether or not I run my Shield through my AVR or connect it directly to the TV.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm having a really weird issue with my Shield whenever I display DV content (in an MKV) on my LG CX through Plex.

Playing DV content in Plex will repeatedly trigger the "Dolby Vision" notification on the CX. Sometimes this occurs 4-5 times and then stops, and sometime it continues without end, popping up the DV notification every 10-20 seconds. My Shield, my CX, and Plex are all running their respective updated and stable versions. I'm running Monoprice Certified High Speed Cables (Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics). This behaviour occurs whether or not I run my Shield through my AVR or connect it directly to the TV.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Didn't have this problem, but had a blanking issue that sounds similar. I had monoprice certified cables was well.

I replaced the cable with a new one and db is passed fine with no issues.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Just bought the FLIRC for the Nvidia Shield 2019 PRO to use with my Harmony One and am encountering some weird issues. I can't seem to get the Netflix button to work or the Mic button. Is there a way to fix this?
Netflix button is hardcoded and can't be replicated on 3rd party remotes.

Mic/Assistant button requires whole another chain of hardware in the remote, e.g. need to use Bluetooth voice protocol to transfer voice from remote to the Shield. Again, not possible to replicate as no Harmony I know even support this feature even with Bluetooth capable hub.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can't seem to get the Netflix button to work or the Mic button. Is there a way to fix this?
You could try the Button Mapper app.
As long as the button sends a keycode that is recognized from Android OS, you can use this app to remap it, so it will open any app you want. But I don't think that Button Mapper can remap a button to invoke voice search. But I could be wrong, as I don't use voice search, so I haven't looked for that function.

·
Registered
705 Posts
As long as you have an external DD processor (AVR) you want that setting off. That setting is for TV's that don't support DD so no down side to leaving it off. The Shield has it on by default because people who have TV's that don't support DD would get no audio on DD content.
If the TV had no DD support it wouldnt be much of a TV, considering ATSC requires DD (AC3) for audio.

This setting is to enable the Dolby decoder - important when connecting to legacy DD (AC3) equipment that have no DD+ (E-AC3) support, considering that most streaming services use DD+ for 5.1/multichannel and AAC for 2.0 (which is converted either to PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 depending on the version/configuration of the Dolby MS1x codec package).

So the setting is most useful when connecting to equipment (AVR/TV/Soundbar/etc) that only supports DD (not DD+), such that DD+ (from streaming services) is transcoded to DD for output, preserving the 5.1 multichannel.

As to the default=enabled intent, Nvidia probably wanted maximum "plug and play" multichannel output support (legacy DD and newer DD+ systems) at the highest level supported by the connected equipment, as well as "marketing" the functionality and device capabilities itself (nearly all competitive streaming devices with Dolby decoding capability have it enabled by default as well, for the same reasons).

So you want the setting ON when connecting to legacy DD equipment, and OFF when connecting to newer DD+ equipment.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
If the TV had no DD support it wouldnt be much of a TV, considering ATSC requires DD (AC3) for audio.
A little bit OT but a lot of legacy/OLD TVs only support DD from ATSC tuners, not from external HDMI inputs. The old Panasonic Plasma TVs come to my mind.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
For some reason, the Yamaha YAS-207 sound bar on one of my TVs turns on muted with a Shield tube as the input source, but not with other devices. Is there some setting somewhere in the Shield that controls this?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ok guys more issues with my shield with zone2 hdcp handshake issues.
i have two 4K tv’s. Two higher end marantz receivers. One in the main room one in the bedroom.
The shield is set to 4K 59.9
seems like almost every night if I try to use the shield in the room it has issues. I have to power cycle, turn on and off the tv, sometimes turn the main tv on again and then off. Then the bedroom. Then sometimes it works.
I noticed if I just open the kodi app it seems to always work. I have kodi set to 1080p. Does this mean when it starts playing a 4K movie then it will display 4K and the tv does the upscaling?
my appletv 4K in the main room and ps5 both work fine in the room. Both set to 4k. Appletv shows 4K 60 4:4:4.
about ready to just start using the shield as a kodi and plex server only device. So many issues with handshake.
Anybody else have similar issues and what to try? I tried hdcp 1.4 in developer settings if there’s an issue and reset hdmi link if there’s issues and nothing seems to help it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Ok guys more issues with my shield with zone2 hdcp handshake issues.
i have two 4K tv’s. Two higher end marantz receivers. One in the main room one in the bedroom.
The shield is set to 4K 59.9
seems like almost every night if I try to use the shield in the room it has issues. I have to power cycle, turn on and off the tv, sometimes turn the main tv on again and then off. Then the bedroom. Then sometimes it works.
I noticed if I just open the kodi app it seems to always work. I have kodi set to 1080p. Does this mean when it starts playing a 4K movie then it will display 4K and the tv does the upscaling?
my appletv 4K in the main room and ps5 both work fine in the room. Both set to 4k. Appletv shows 4K 60 4:4:4.
about ready to just start using the shield as a kodi and plex server only device. So many issues with handshake.
Anybody else have similar issues and what to try? I tried hdcp 1.4 in developer settings if there’s an issue and reset hdmi link if there’s issues and nothing seems to help it.
can you describe the "issues"?

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Can anyone recommend a player that will access my USB HDD with some ripped DVDs. The HDD is attached to a hardwired LAN router that is configured as an access point. I have apps VLC and Kodi installed but I don't like the VLC interface and the Kodi is so complex I don't even know if it has the player function built into it. So far, the only complete success I have had is using Windows Media Player when the USB HDD is attached to my W10 laptop directly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Can anyone recommend a player that will access my USB HDD with some ripped DVDs. The HDD is attached to a hardwired LAN router that is configured as an access point. I have apps VLC and Kodi installed but I don't like the VLC interface and the Kodi is so complex I don't even know if it has the player function built into it. So far, the only complete success I have had is using Windows Media Player when the USB HDD is attached to my W10 laptop directly.
Maybe you want to have a look at Vimu Media Player. It has many features, including automatic refresh rate switching, if you care about things like that. But the UI isn’t very pretty and it’s not free. But apart from that, I think it’s one of the best media player apps out there.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Kodi works great for that application. the player is built-in.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Can you direct me to where it resides in the app?
It isn't separate within the app. WHen you are in kodi, you navigate to your video files and select it. It will start playing.

7221 - 7240 of 7554 Posts