AVS Forum banner

7241 - 7260 of 7554 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Can anyone recommend a player that will access my USB HDD with some ripped DVDs. The HDD is attached to a hardwired LAN router that is configured as an access point. I have apps VLC and Kodi installed but I don't like the VLC interface and the Kodi is so complex I don't even know if it has the player function built into it. So far, the only complete success I have had is using Windows Media Player when the USB HDD is attached to my W10 laptop directly.
Have you tried Plex? If you connect the USB HDD to the Shield you can run Plex Server on the Shield. Nice interface and easy to install and use.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I have just added a 950 remote to my Hub to replace the standard remote that comes with the Hub. I wanted the backlit keys is why I want to add the 950. I'm having a problem getting the 950 to sync/operate with the Shield TV. It works with my other two devices but not with the Shield. I've looked at the special instructions to do this but they are not clear. I'm hoping that there are some Harmony Hub users here that sorted through the problem and could talk me through it?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have just added a 950 remote to my Hub to replace the standard remote that comes with the Hub. I wanted the backlit keys is why I want to add the 950. I'm having a problem getting the 950 to sync/operate with the Shield TV. It works with my other two devices but not with the Shield. I've looked at the special instructions to do this but they are not clear. I'm hoping that there are some Harmony Hub users here that sorted through the problem and could talk me through it?
It is the Hub, not the remote, that controls the Shield via Bluetooth.

I would check that the Shield is set up to be controlled by the Hub in either the desktop software or app.

·
Registered
653 Posts
can you describe the "issues"?
didnt I do that?
it seems like a handshake issue for some reason. It works sometimes but most the time there is problems.
it doesn’t seem like the shield will change resolution and switch to the new receive/tv even though they both are 4K tv’s. The cable is an active hdmi. It works fine for Dolby vision and works all the time on my appletv. But the shield seems to have issues with handshake or a different display. I never used to have this problem when my bedroom tv was 1080p. It would switch from the living room 4K tv and change it to 1080p on its own.
since owning a 4K tv in my room it’s been having problems. Not sure what else to try. It could just be display settings causing issues I have no idea.
This is zone 2 into another receiver in the bedroom then into a tv.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
didnt I do that?
it seems like a handshake issue for some reason. It works sometimes but most the time there is problems.
it doesn’t seem like the shield will change resolution and switch to the new receive/tv even though they both are 4K tv’s. The cable is an active hdmi. It works fine for Dolby vision and works all the time on my appletv. But the shield seems to have issues with handshake or a different display. I never used to have this problem when my bedroom tv was 1080p. It would switch from the living room 4K tv and change it to 1080p on its own.
since owning a 4K tv in my room it’s been having problems. Not sure what else to try. It could just be display settings causing issues I have no idea.

By Chance is CEC enabled on the Shield, AVR, and TV?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
didnt I do that?

well, you didn't exactly state what was happening that you had to restart the shield. Does the display flicker on/off? can you see anything at all when it doesn't work?

I asked for more detail because I JUST had an issue when upgrading to the 2019 Pro from a 2017 model. I enabled DV, and the HDMI cables (monoprice certified DV/4k) I was using between the Shield/AVR/tv didn't pass the DV signal properly/cause handshake issues. I tried 3 new cables. only one worked.

If you turn off DV on the shield, do you get a stable connection with the new tv?

the jump from 1080 to 4k w/ DV, to me, makes your issue look a lot like a cable problem. a few pages back I posted up a cable on amazon (ibirdie) that fixed my issue. Of course, it could be something else.

since it's zone 2 into a second receiver.... you could be having all kinds of HDCP issues. what receiver models do you have? some receivers won't pass DV/HDR out the secondary HDMI outputs. Have you connected the shield directly to this second receiver/tv?

·
Registered
653 Posts
well, you didn't exactly state what was happening that you had to restart the shield. Does the display flicker on/off? can you see anything at all when it doesn't work?

I asked for more detail because I JUST had an issue when upgrading to the 2019 Pro from a 2017 model. I enabled DV, and the HDMI cables (monoprice certified DV/4k) I was using between the Shield/AVR/tv didn't pass the DV signal properly/cause handshake issues. I tried 3 new cables. only one worked.

If you turn off DV on the shield, do you get a stable connection with the new tv?

the jump from 1080 to 4k w/ DV, to me, makes your issue look a lot like a cable problem. a few pages back I posted up a cable on amazon (ibirdie) that fixed my issue. Of course, it could be something else.

since it's zone 2 into a second receiver.... you could be having all kinds of HDCP issues. what receiver models do you have? some receivers won't pass DV/HDR out the secondary HDMI outputs. Have you connected the shield directly to this second receiver/tv?
I don’t have problems in my main room receiver it’s only when I output it from my front receiver to my bedroom receiver it has issues. Only thing that always opens is kodi.
no I just get a black screen or no signal. If I hit info my bedroom receiver it says unknown Signal.
i really didn’t want to have to get another device for my bedroom as my main room appletv 4K works and passes 4:4:4. Plays Dolby vision and atmos and has no issues. Same with my ps5. Everything works besides the stupid shield.
I guess I can turn it into an only kodi device in the bedroom.
even in kodi it will play 4K hdr stuff fine being passed from the front room to the bedroom.
moment I back out of kodi it goes black and says no signal. It’s not my hdmi cable because my other devices don’t seem to have issues.
If I remember correctly it will show up if I set the main display on the shield to 1080p but nothing gets up scaled that way I tested it. Shows 1080p in my receiver.
The tv’s are a Sony 900f and a Sony a8h. marantz 6013 and 6014 receivers.

The cable is a monoprice active cable. It’s not the issue because the other devices pass the signal completely fine.

im assuming is some weird hdcp issue with the shield and it’s funky non 4K resolution interface causing issues.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
It is the Hub, not the remote, that controls the Shield via Bluetooth.

I would check that the Shield is set up to be controlled by the Hub in either the desktop software or app.
I will check that but the remote that came with the hub works at controlling the Shield via the Hub. So there is something wrong with the bridge between the 950, the Hub, and the Shield.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
OK, I saw that you were using the other HDMI Out Ports on your Marantz AVRs and I ran into a somewhat similar issue which was resolved by turning off CEC in my AVR. I initially thought it was turned off on my AVR.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don’t have problems in my main room receiver it’s only when I output it from my front receiver to my bedroom receiver it has issues. Only thing that always opens is kodi.
no I just get a black screen or no signal. If I hit info my bedroom receiver it says unknown Signal.
i really didn’t want to have to get another device for my bedroom as my main room appletv 4K works and passes 4:4:4. Plays Dolby vision and atmos and has no issues. Same with my ps5. Everything works besides the stupid shield.
I guess I can turn it into an only kodi device in the bedroom.
even in kodi it will play 4K hdr stuff fine being passed from the front room to the bedroom.
moment I back out of kodi it goes black and says no signal. It’s not my hdmi cable because my other devices don’t seem to have issues.
If I remember correctly it will show up if I set the main display on the shield to 1080p but nothing gets up scaled that way I tested it. Shows 1080p in my receiver.
The tv’s are a Sony 900f and a Sony a8h. marantz 6013 and 6014 receivers.

The cable is a monoprice active cable. It’s not the issue because the other devices pass the signal completely fine.

im assuming is some weird hdcp issue with the shield and it’s funky non 4K resolution interface causing issues.
none of my other devices had problems with my previous cable doing DV 4k either... until I got the pro.

the marantz won't show if the tv has upscaled the content. it will only show what the input signal is. The tv will still upscale the content. upscaling doesn't turn 1080p content into 4k content, though. It just makes it work on a 4k tv. the sony's do a really good job of this, though. (i have a 900f).

I still suggest turning off DV on the shield, but keep it at 4k. Try the different resolutions and colorspaces that are available in the shield: 4k 24hz, 4k 60hz 422, etc... all without DV enabled.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I will check that but the remote that came with the hub works at controlling the Shield via the Hub. So there is something wrong with the bridge between the 950, the Hub, and the Shield.
you might have to delete the shield and re-add it. I had some issues when updating to the 2019 pro with my elite recently. deleting and re-adding fixed it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
none of my other devices had problems with my previous cable doing DV 4k either... until I got the pro.

the marantz won't show if the tv has upscaled the content. it will only show what the input signal is. The tv will still upscale the content. upscaling doesn't turn 1080p content into 4k content, though. It just makes it work on a 4k tv. the sony's do a really good job of this, though. (i have a 900f).

I still suggest turning off DV on the shield, but keep it at 4k. Try the different resolutions and colorspaces that are available in the shield: 4k 24hz, 4k 60hz 422, etc... all without DV enabled.
Yea I never turn on Dolby vision on the shield anyway I have it set to the default 4K 59.97 hdr capable and auto switch 709/2020.
ive tried different display settings but nothing seems to be working. yea I’d rather have to Sony’s doing the upscaling anyway but I can’t set it to 1080p it won’t show anything in 4K that way besides upscale 1080p like you said.
but kodi does switch from 1080p if I set it that way to playing a 4K movie on its own and back to 1080p when its over.
i just started having problems with this when I got the second 4K tv. My other tv never had issues. But it seems to be only the shield as my other things work. It’s weird.

·
Registered
653 Posts
OK, I saw that you were using the other HDMI Out Ports on your Marantz AVRs and I ran into a somewhat similar issue which was resolved by turning off CEC in my AVR. I initially thought it was turned off on my AVR.
Yup, hdmi control is off. I’m only using arc in the bedroom. That might be what’s causing issues maybe. Not sure why it would though

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Yup, hdmi control is off. I’m only using arc in the bedroom. That might be what’s causing issues maybe. Not sure why it would though
In my situation, I wanted to use different Video and Input modes between my Shield and Xbox One X using my Harmony Remote.

For the Xbox, I wanted to Switch to HDMI3/Arc/Game Mode on my Display.
For the Shield, I wanted to Switch to HDMI 2/Cinema Home on my Display.

HDMI 3 on my Display is connected to Monitor 1/Arc on my Marantz for use with the Xbox One
HDMI 2 on my Display is connected to Monitor 2 on my Marantz for use with the Shield.

For some strange reason when I switch back to the Shield with my remote, the display would suddenly switch back to HDMI3, and I would have to manually adjust the Input on my TV. If I wanted to use the Xbox, the switch was normal. Assuming I had CEC turned off on all of my components, I had to dig into the settings for my Marantz and discovered that CEC (or HDMI Control) was enabled. When I disabled it, my Harmony Activities worked fine.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
At the risk of reactivating the Prime Video hate here, I made an interesting discovery last night.

I get CBS All Access as a channel through Prime Video, and have usually watched it through my 2019 Shield tube, but last night, after seeing all the complaints that it's only in stereo through the Shield, I decided to check the display of the input and output audio formats in my Yamaha AVR while re-watching the season finale of season 3 of Star Trek Discovery.

When I saw that I was only getting stereo from the Shield, I switched over to my 2019 Roku Ultra - and I got DD+ 5.1 there on the same episode.

Yet one more reason to run multiple streamers. I now have a second reason to use my old Ultra, in addition to watching Apple TV+, which isn't on the Shield at all. I use the Shield for everything else I stream, however.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
595 Posts
At the risk of reactivating the Prime Video hate here, I made an interesting discovery last night.

I get CBS All Access as a channel through Prime Video, and have usually watched it through my 2019 Shield tube, but last night, after seeing all the complaints that it's only in stereo through the Shield, I decided to check the display of the input and output audio formats in my Yamaha AVR while re-watching the season finale of season 3 of Star Trek Discovery.

When I saw that I was only getting stereo from the Shield, I switched over to my 2019 Roku Ultra - and I got DD+ 5.1 there on the same episode.

Yet one more reason to run multiple streamers. So now I have a second reason to use my old Ultra, in addition to watching Apple TV+, which isn't on the Shield at all. I use the Shield for everything else I stream, however.
Yeah, 5.1 (and DD+ it says) have been available on the Roku since the start, I believe. You had to select it from the * button dropdown for every episode you watched because the default was for stereo.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yet one more reason to run multiple streamers. So now I have a second reason to use my old Ultra, in addition to watching Apple TV+, which isn't on the Shield at all. I use the Shield for everything else I stream, however.
I agree. Roku for everything streaming outside of netflix and a fire stick for kodi and local content. I have to use the Netflix app on my TVs to get proper outputs but that isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah, 5.1 (and DD+ it says) have been available on the Roku since the start, I believe. You had to select it from the * button dropdown for every episode you watched because the default was for stereo.
Maybe that was the case in the past, but I didn't have to do that - and I wouldn't have known about that procedure if I had needed it!

7241 - 7260 of 7554 Posts