AVS Forum banner

8721 - 8740 of 8965 Posts

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
You have to go to advanced display settings and pick a custom resolution to be able to do what t-bone is suggesting. Otherwise when you select HDR/DV it'll default to bt.2020 and the colors will look oversaturated on rec.709 content.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
You have to go to advanced display settings and pick a custom resolution to be able to do what t-bone is suggesting. Otherwise when you select HDR/DV it'll default to bt.2020 and the colors will look oversaturated on rec.709 content.
I was thinking of changing the settings but then I thought, "how much time do I spend at the menu"? Hardly no time at all. Not worth changing these settings for the few seconds I'm on the menu screen.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I took a different approach personally. But it's not for everyone. I calibrated my ISF Bright mode on my LG C8 to bt.2020 DCI-P3 and then force all my devices, including the SHIELD, to send a bt.2020 container. My TiVo, SHIELD, and even my HTPC with madvr all send a bt.2020 container and everything looks as it should without having to monkey around with shifting containers everywhere.

Reactions: T-Bone

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I was thinking of changing the settings but then I thought, "how much time do I spend at the menu"? Hardly no time at all. Not worth changing these settings for the few seconds I'm on the menu screen.
It's not just the menus. It's YouTube, netflix, prime, hulu, etc videos that are Rec 709, any Blu-ray that you happen to be watching, any streaming content that does not have HDR. So it's quite a bit of content and it only takes you 30 seconds to do the change.

Unless you do like @SamuriHL did and calibrate for rec 2020. Then everything will look pretty good.

I use Rec 709 for Rec 709 content because my display is not calibrated. It was really good out of the box. I know it can be better if I calibrate it. I just know that when I put Rec 709 in a Rec 2020 container, the colors are oversaturated. so I took the path of least resistance... in other words, the cheapest :)

-T

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
It's not just the menus. It's YouTube, netflix, prime, hulu, etc videos that are Rec 709, any Blu-ray that you happen to be watching, any streaming content that does not have HDR. So it's quite a bit of content and it only takes you 30 seconds to do the change.

Unless you do like @SamuriHL did and calibrate for rec 2020. Then everything will look pretty good.

I use Rec 709 for Rec 709 content because my display is not calibrated. It was really good out of the box. I know it can be better if I calibrate it. I just know that when I put Rec 709 in a Rec 2020 container, the colors are oversaturated. so I took the path of least resistance... in other words, the cheapest :)

-T
I did calibrate with Calman Home for LG but I didn't know if the calibration would have fixed issues such as this?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I can't says that I blame you one bit! LOL If I hadn't invested in the hardware and software to calibrate this monster, I'd be doing the same. I had my SHIELD set up for rec.709 until last week when I made this change after learning I could calibrate the rec.2020 3D LUT slot. Given that I can force ALL my devices to bt.2020 I saw no downside in my environment. But you either have to have it calibrated to handle it or keep it in the correct colorspace for sure.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I did calibrate with Calman Home for LG but I didn't know if the calibration would have fixed issues such as this?
Uhhh, I fear I may have opened a can of worms here. Calibrating one of the SDR modes (bright, dark, whatever) will by default be for rec.709. I'm pretty sure Calman COULD calibrate one of them for rec.2020 (though I've never tried with Calman, I'm pretty sure it's possible) that mode would then be limited to bt.2020 container content. I am lucky in that I was helped by an awesome and generous ColourSpace user and have both a rec.2020 LUT and rec.709 LUT loaded into the corresponding LUT slots for my ISF Bright mode. That's not a simple thing to do and I'm not entirely sure that Calman can do that. It might, I just don't know how with Calman.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Uhhh, I fear I may have opened a can of worms here. Calibrating one of the SDR modes (bright, dark, whatever) will by default be for rec.709. I'm pretty sure Calman COULD calibrate one of them for rec.2020 (though I've never tried with Calman, I'm pretty sure it's possible) that mode would then be limited to bt.2020 container content. I am lucky in that I was helped by an awesome and generous ColourSpace user and have both a rec.2020 LUT and rec.709 LUT loaded into the corresponding LUT slots for my ISF Bright mode. That's not a simple thing to do and I'm not entirely sure that Calman can do that. It might, I just don't know how with Calman.
There are actually 3 calibration modes and I did all 3 of them for dark room environment:

SDR
HDR and
Dolby Vision

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
There are actually 3 calibration modes and I did all 3 of them for dark room environment:

SDR
HDR and
Dolby Vision
No. That's not what I'm referring to. Each of those is a separate picture mode. However, the SDR picture modes have 2 LUT slots available, one for rec.709 and one for rec.2020. ColourSpace has the ability to calibrate both slots at the same time for one picture mode. I don't bother calibrating HDR and DV on my C8 other than white point balance in the service menu. No LUTS are harmed in the calibration of my C8. :D LOL

EDIT: I don't want to take this thread further off topic. My original reason for mentioning this is related to my SHIELD usage but in case anyone is interested:

ColourSpace CMS - Next Generation Calibration... Thread | Page 50 | AVS Forum

That is the process that's involved.

Reactions: Andy112

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
Normal operation: The Match Content Color Space sends REC 709 to display if the source has REC 709. Send REC 2020 to the display if the source has REC 2020 (also called BT2020).

This setting works IF you set out Shield to output REC 709 and HDR/DV. example: mine is set to 3840x2161 23.976 Hz YUV 422 12-bit Rec. 709 HDR10 Ready. When I get BT2020 content, it sends BT2020 to display.

If I set shield to REC 2020, then the shield always sends REC 2020 even if the source is REC 709. Example: 3840x2161 23.976 Hz YUV 422 12-bit Rec. 2020 HDR10 Ready. In this case, the shield menus, and all source content that is REC 709 gets placed in a REC 2020 wrapper and sent to display. The colors will seem a little off if you do it this way. So no switching occurs. I think it is a bug in the software.

My suggestion: send REC 709 and HDR/DV so that the shield menu colors look right... AND turn on Match Content Color Space

-T
That depends on the display being used. I've never had any issues with colors being weird on my Sony and TCL UHD TVs. If REC709 is sent inside an REC2020 wrapper.
They will look the same with both methods on my Sony and TCL UHD TVs.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
That depends on the display being used. I've never had any issues with colors being weird on my Sony and TCL UHD TVs. If REC709 is sent inside an REC2020 wrapper.
Yes, fair enough, but, I believe they have an LG and we do have to deal with this issue.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Well if they look the same to you, then it must be a device dependent thing. Because on my JVC projector, they definitely weird.

Then again, I have not tried sending BT 2020 since I think the early part of december? so if there wasn't update that did fix that, I would not have known about it. Not saying there was an update that fixed it. It could very well be just hardware dependency. Or My BT 2020 profile on my projector screwed up :)

-T

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Normal operation: The Match Content Color Space sends REC 709 to display if the source has REC 709. Send REC 2020 to the display if the source has REC 2020 (also called BT2020).

This setting works IF you set out Shield to output REC 709 and HDR/DV. example: mine is set to 3840x2161 23.976 Hz YUV 422 12-bit Rec. 709 HDR10 Ready. When I get BT2020 content, it sends BT2020 to display.

If I set shield to REC 2020, then the shield always sends REC 2020 even if the source is REC 709. Example: 3840x2161 23.976 Hz YUV 422 12-bit Rec. 2020 HDR10 Ready. In this case, the shield menus, and all source content that is REC 709 gets placed in a REC 2020 wrapper and sent to display. The colors will seem a little off if you do it this way. So no switching occurs. I think it is a bug in the software.

My suggestion: send REC 709 and HDR/DV so that the shield menu colors look right... AND turn on Match Content Color Space

-T
So are you saying there’s a bug in Match content color space (Automatically switches display between Rec. 2020 and Rec. 709). Because it’s supposed to do what you’re saying automatically just like the ATV4K does. BTW, I’m not seeing any color weirdness on my Sony 930E either on the GUI, YT, Netflix, Plex, Kodi or anything else including DV, HDR or SDR. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I think the difference is your Sony's can handle rec.709 being sent in a bt.2020 container. The LG can't, at least not natively without being calibrated for it. I'm not sure I'd call it a "bug" exactly. I suspect nVidia expects that TV's should respond correctly to having rec.709 within a bt.2020 container. They are hardly the only device to expect that (see Comcast X1 cable boxes, TiVo, etc). But in the case of our LG's it doesn't apparently understand the rec.709 inside a bt.2020 flagged container. Maybe we can call it an LG bug or something. LOL

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I think the difference is your Sony's can handle rec.709 being sent in a bt.2020 container. The LG can't, at least not natively without being calibrated for it. I'm not sure I'd call it a "bug" exactly. I suspect nVidia expects that TV's should respond correctly to having rec.709 within a bt.2020 container. They are hardly the only device to expect that (see Comcast X1 cable boxes, TiVo, etc). But in the case of our LG's it doesn't apparently understand the rec.709 inside a bt.2020 flagged container. Maybe we can call it an LG bug or something. LOL
Got it, thanks!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Anyone noticing the ShieldTV Pro 2019 being sluggish at times using Plex? I'm just using it as a playback device and all the sudden I notice two problems:
1) When I press the voice button to tell it "skip to 1 hour and 15 min" (or whatever spot I want), it sometimes lags or doesn't response
2) When I skip around in movies sometimes the lip syncing gets off and I have to restart the movie.

Anything I should check?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Anyone noticing the ShieldTV Pro 2019 being sluggish at times using Plex? I'm just using it as a playback device and all the sudden I notice two problems:
1) When I press the voice button to tell it "skip to 1 hour and 15 min" (or whatever spot I want), it sometimes lags or doesn't response
2) When I skip around in movies sometimes the lip syncing gets off and I have to restart the movie.

Anything I should check?
I've seen the lip sync issue that you mentioned the number two with Plex. And for me the only way to correct it is to stop playback and then resume. Others hear suggested I just wait a few seconds for it to clear up on its own but it never cleaned up even after waiting 30 seconds.

On a side note, I did notice it happened on my fire stick 4K attached to a different display. Although it would happen much more frequently on the shield than fire TV 4K stick.

-T

Edit:. the solution on the fire stick 4K was the same. Stop playback and then resume.

Reactions: anjunadeep

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
So are you saying there’s a bug in Match content color space (Automatically switches display between Rec. 2020 and Rec. 709). Because it’s supposed to do what you’re saying automatically just like the ATV4K does. BTW, I’m not seeing any color weirdness on my Sony 930E either on the GUI, YT, Netflix, Plex, Kodi or anything else including DV, HDR or SDR. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

@aaronwt and @SamuriHL addressed how sometimes sending Rec 709 inside of a rec2020 container works well... But appears to be display dependent.

When I said there was a bug, I was indicating that the Nvidia developers should disable the option to match content when configuring The Shield to output color space rec2020. Because as folks have said here, when you set the output to rec 2020, the shield never sends REC 709. So that match content setting doesn't even do anything. Hence the bug.

It really should be disabled under those circumstances.

-T

Reactions: galonzo and Andy112

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
@aaronwt and @SamuriHL addressed how sometimes sending Rec 709 inside of a rec2020 container works well... But appears to be display dependent.

When I said there was a bug, I was indicating that the Nvidia developers should disable the option to match content when configuring The Shield to output color space rec2020. Because as folks have said here, when you set the output to rec 2020, the shield never sends REC 709. So that match content setting doesn't even do anything. Hence the bug.

It really should be disabled under those circumstances.

-T
For LG displays yeah. For the rest of us it sounds like it’s not an issue. Hope they are aware of it. Like I said I haven’t heard of this happening in the ATV4K thread so it should be fixable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I've seen the lip sync issue that you mentioned the number two with Plex. And for me the only way to correct it is to stop playback and then resume. Others hear suggested I just wait a few seconds for it to clear up on its own but it never cleaned up even after waiting 30 seconds.

On a side note, I did notice it happened on my fire stick 4K attached to a different display. Although it would happen much more frequently on the shield than fire TV 4K stick.

-T

Edit:. the solution on the fire stick 4K was the same. Stop playback and then resume.
Frusturating thing is it never used to do this and now it does. Is it something software related?

8721 - 8740 of 8965 Posts