AVS Forum banner

9621 - 9640 of 9925 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Personally I just want good streaming services at this point. I'm over the satellite and cable thing. I'm just waiting. SHIELD would be ideal for a service that's all encompassing with hella quality. So depressing we're not there yet.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Personally I just want good streaming services at this point.
Call me lazy, but I hate turning on the shield, watching some DVR recordings, getting a text that the Nascar race is on, having to switch over to the Roku Ultra Fox Sports app to get the 4K HDR race, then when that is over, switch to another app to watch HBOMax, then go back to the Shield to catch the news. It was all really easy when everything was on one box until they screwed things up.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I was with DirecTV for a while (before they were bought by the AT&T Borg), but decided that between the insane amount of compression and the fact I like to have my feed working when it's raining, I moved to cable.
We had DirecTV from 1999 to 2004. Spent $4,000 over a 5-year period. I was absolutely shocked when I thought about it after the fact. I kept thinking how much hardware I could have purchased for $4,000. Its about $5,500 today after you factor in inflation.

Cut the cord soon thereafter and have been happy ever since :). In fact we cut the cord before they even called it cutting the cord.

Not Shield related but I figured I would share :)

-T

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Call me lazy, but I hate turning on the shield, watching some DVR recordings, getting a text that the Nascar race is on, having to switch over to the Roku Ultra Fox Sports app to get the 4K HDR race, then when that is over, switch to another app to watch HBOMax, then go back to the Shield to catch the news. It was all really easy when everything was on one box until they screwed things up.
App aggregation is what they're all working on. Apple did alright with it on the ATV. Shield somewhat does a good job with that on the home page but it could be better. The voice features of both the ATV and SHIELD do make it easier. But those aren't the first thing people think of. I have it on the TiVo, too, and while it works fairly well it's not the first thing I think of on any of these platforms.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Gotta be careful of streaming too. Lots of them use 30 fps, which is just as bad. Satellite needs to go back to their roots. Just carry the 25 most popular channels, high bitrate, 4K where available, with a backup internet stream the DVR can switch to during rain fade events. Charge $50 a month, use equipment you can purchase yourself like they do in Europe. I remember when you could buy a $800 DirecTv kit, and have it up and running in an hour. They need to go back to that same method. Self install, own your own stuff, picture quality better than ANY competitor.
That would be a reasonable approach to winning back customers (who are shedding satellite TV in massive droves).

Because it is a reasonably good plan, there's no chance it hell the fools at AT&T or that Charlie guy at DISH (whose sole ambition is to buy DTV and have a monopoly on satellite delivery) will ever do anything like that.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
App aggregation is what they're all working on. Apple did alright with it on the ATV. Shield somewhat does a good job with that on the home page but it could be better. The voice features of both the ATV and SHIELD do make it easier. But those aren't the first thing people think of. I have it on the TiVo, too, and while it works fairly well it's not the first thing I think of on any of these platforms.
I have to say as a family that watches at least half a dozen series, it becomes increasingly difficult to remember what service what show is on. My first guess is almost always wrong.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
We have HBOMax (free with internet), YouTubeTV ($10 off), Netflix (free from phone co), MLBTV (free from phone co), Disney+ (actually pay for this for the kid), Paramount+ (Family member subscribes), YouTube Premium (another family member subscribes), Amazon Prime (free with membership). Out of all that, I watch 4 channels on YouTubeTV, and two shows on HBOMax, and The Mandalorian if it ever comes out with new episodes. Every time I try to use Amazon Prime, I choose free to me, and end up selecting something that tells me if I want to watch it in HD or 4K I need to pony up. I turn it off or order the 4K bluray. Deleted the app. Amazing how much it costs to watch 6 channels.

Reactions: T-Bone

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have to say as a family that watches at least half a dozen series, it becomes increasingly difficult to remember what service what show is on. My first guess is almost always wrong.
That's why I like the aggregation idea. Apple TV (the app, at least on the ATV devices...haven't had time to play with it on the SHIELD much yet) knows what services you have and what shows you watch so you can see content by show and not worry about where it is. This is the future of aggregation. I suspect it'll get better over time.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
I have a
That's why I like the aggregation idea. Apple TV (the app, at least on the ATV devices...haven't had time to play with it on the SHIELD much yet) knows what services you have and what shows you watch so you can see content by show and not worry about where it is. This is the future of aggregation. I suspect it'll get better over time.
AppleTV app has channels just like on an AppleTV device but streaming services (like HBO) are starting to remove their channels because they want you to use their dedicated apps.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Aggregation is one of the strong points of the Google TV Interface. The Chromecast with Google TV does such a good job with showcasing the content that I want to view, that it really cuts down on searching for content.
Of course you will need to tell the OS what you prefer to view, and not, by simply giving Thumbs Up and Down to the content they suggest.

After a while, the Google TV interface will display content to your liking, and not stuff you have no interest in.

So I can imagine in the coming months a Major OS overhaul will come to the Shield with a full Google TV OS interface.

Reactions: SamuriHL

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I believe aggregation is the future. It'll take time to get there. As for streaming companies not wanting to play ball, sucks to be them. There's not a lot they can really do about it if it's done right.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I believe aggregation is the future. It'll take time to get there. As for streaming companies not wanting to play ball, sucks to be them. There's not a lot they can really do about it if it's done right.
Totally disagree. The streaming companies control their content and access to it; if they want to fight aggregation, I'd bet on them.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Then their content will get marginalized. Ask the cable companies how well serial "appointment time" shows are doing these days. If they don't make it easy to find their content, people are not going to consume it. That would be why Apple finally gave in and unleased their content service on competing platforms. So you may disagree, but, the reality is they aren't going to have a choice if they want to stay relevant for long.

EDIT: Maybe you don't know what I mean by aggregation...you still need those apps and subscriptions to WATCH the content. This is about making it easy to find and consume. Which is why I say that if they want to hide everything in their own app and not make it easy to find, they're screwed.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Agree to disagree. The cable companies are a terrible analogy, because they're the aggregators, not the content owners.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Apparently you've not paid enough attention. Who does Xfinity own? Who does AT&T own?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Apparently you've not paid enough attention. Who does Xfinity own? Who does AT&T own?
A single streaming service each, and AFAIK they are doing just fine. And neither is limited to each's own carrier. So I guess I don't understand your point.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If they don't make it easy to find their content, people are going sail the high seas to consume it.
Yarr, where's me eyepatch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
38,400 Posts
Think that might be planned between the streaming companies? You break this app, and Fox Sports, you only put 4KHDR on this platform, whatever you do, dont add it to Shield. HBOMax, make your 4K convert to 1080p on this app.
I was going to watch the new Conjuring MOvie from the HBO MAx app this weekend. But every streaming device I tried on Friday and Saturday had issues. Either it had Atmos and no DV like my ATV 4K boxes. Or it had DV but at 1080P and no Atmos, like my Shield TVs. CHromecast Fire TV sticks, Rokus.. they all had issues with the HBO MAx app in both my UHD setups. Every streamer I tried, including built in TV apps were messed up. The last time I watched some movies from HBO max I had no issues with anything. A couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully the HBO MAx app will be working properly next weekend.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'm not holding my breath on that. There's been a lot of discussion about the HBO app in the atv thread, as well. I used the shield to watch it but you're correct that it was completely screwed up with no atmos and lower res dv video. Disney plus is still like that, as well. A few weeks ago both of them were working flawlessly. It doesn't seem like anyone's in a hurry to fix the problems.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The Max app seems to work best on my Roku, but even there it has issues at times. HBO has terrible app developers.

Reactions: aaronwt
9621 - 9640 of 9925 Posts