AVS Forum banner

9641 - 9660 of 9925 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
For the last week or so, the timeline doesn't disappear when I play something on HBO Max. Need to hit the back button to get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
HBO has terrible programmers. Problems on all platforms, not just Android.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
For the last week or so, the timeline doesn't disappear when I play something on HBO Max. Need to hit the back button to get rid of it.
Same here. Had the issue with YouTubeTV too, after watching HBOMax. Had to reboot the shield.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Besides seeing if the AI Upcaling is working, is there an app or some other way to tell what is coming in to the shield in terms of resolution, as well as frame rate and color space?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Besides seeing if the AI Upcaling is working, is there an app or some other way to tell what is coming in to the shield in terms of resolution, as well as frame rate and color space?
The only thing I’ve seen is that MrMC has a “Media Info” setting that lets you see that info while your local media is being played.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The only thing I’ve seen is that MrMC has a “Media Info” setting that lets you see that info while your local media is being played.
Thanks.

I already know about my local media, I'm interested in seeing what Netflix/HBOMAX/Disney+ is sending me since both my Shield and ATV4K upscale everything all the time.

Also, MrMC has some scathingly awful reviews on Google Play. It has as many one star reviews as five star reviews - not a good sign.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks.

I already know about my local media, I'm interested in seeing what Netflix/HBOMAX/Disney+ is sending me since both my Shield and ATV4K upscale everything all the time.

Also, MrMC has some scathingly awful reviews on Google Play. It has as many one star reviews as five star reviews - not a good sign.
Sorry if I missed that you were interested only in internet streaming. Apple has something for their platform but AFAIK the Shield doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks.

NetFlix has internal stream info that will let you see the video bitrate/resolution (use the "info" button/function for most devices, including Shield via CEC).

As for Disney+/HBOMax, they have no known functionality, so we're SOL.

Every service's apps should include at least basic stream quality info, but they dont (probably because they dont want to deal with the support requests).

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
HBO Max was a hot mess for me last night. I've been binge watching the Sopranos and catching up on parts of the show where I may not focused on during previous viewings. So I would rewind a few seconds back to hear some dialogue, and the video would just freeze. I would have to get out of the app entirely, but when I went back into HBO Max, I would see only a black screen. My only alternative was to reboot the Shield. I did this about 5 times last night.

Outside of Kodi and MrMC regarding Media Info, I also use my AVR's Status Information to report what type of audio, video resolution and colorspace is being played on the Shield, but it's rather limited in some cases. If you have a Shield connected to a device like an Oppo 203, the info from the 203 can give you some good info as well.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Outside of Kodi and MrMC regarding Media Info, I also use my AVR's Status Information to report what type of audio, video resolution and colorspace is being played on the Shield, but it's rather limited in some cases.
I have all video processing on my Denon AVR turned off, so Status only gives audio info.

And if the source is encoded with DV, it won't display anything at all - no overlays allowed whatsoever on my model (4300) with DV going through it. I understand newer models will do overlays with DV, but mine won't and it's not worth it to me to spend $1,500 (or more) on a newer AVR for just that feature.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Aggregation is one of the strong points of the Google TV Interface. The Chromecast with Google TV does such a good job with showcasing the content that I want to view, that it really cuts down on searching for content.
Of course you will need to tell the OS what you prefer to view, and not, by simply giving Thumbs Up and Down to the content they suggest.

After a while, the Google TV interface will display content to your liking, and not stuff you have no interest in.

So I can imagine in the coming months a Major OS overhaul will come to the Shield with a full Google TV OS interface.
I just don't believe that it will display content to MY liking. How long is a while? Fine, aggregate content selection on the UI, but let me select which 'services' I want to include. The main screen UI is supposed to be a content selector, not a content offer. There is a difference between a launcher app and a store app (IMO).

If the Shield is updated to the next vers. of Android TV, I think Google will force Nvidia into having the GTV UI.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I hate these new UIs
I just want a row of my apps, in my order, and that is it. I dont want pretty pictures, shows I might like, recommendations for every app I downloaded. That is why I like the shield , what I want is in my face, and I dont have to deal with all the junk. Computers and phones have UI apps. Has anyone tried one on a Shield?

Reactions: ncted and atc98092

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
The way things are going, the new Interface for the Shield will inevitably be the Google TV interface, unless Nvidia has a say regarding their product (Ads weren't added to the Shield, for example). Nvidia delayed the current interface to allow more time for Shield features to work smoothly. This may be the case this time around also.

Sony TVs and other (certified) Platforms are running Google TV as well.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
Thanks.

It’s Kodi, the developers abandonedd the Android platform. Just download whatever the most recent version of Kodi is from the Play store.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
The developers never abandoned the Android Platform, or there wouldn't be any Nightly's and Pre-release Builds to download from the Kodi.tv website.

The Developer "Koying" of SPMC abandoned the Android TV Build and moved onto MrMC.

9641 - 9660 of 9925 Posts