AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 5880 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Will the new Shield do ATMOS in Netflix and Movies Anywhere with 1080p displays like the ATV 4K?

I have a 1080p projector with no need to upgrade just yet.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just had to put my 10 cents in here-I have the original 2015 Shield TV and was looking for something a bit newer and with more horse power under the hood. I use my Shield for local playback of video files off an external portable hdd, no streaming, nas or other such stuff. When I found out Nvidia was going to sell a "new" Shield which turned out to be a slightly warmed over version of the older model I looked around and got an Odroid N2 running Coreelec. Best investment I ever made, it plays video that made the Shield stutter. I have to admit I watch mostly downloaded anime-especially the infamous hi10 L5.1 h.264 format with 16 reference frames. The N2 basically blows the Shield out of the water at less than 1/2 the price of the Pro model. Admittedly the H2 is an sbc-but still......!! :cool::D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Anybody that’s curious about the power supply in the 2017 vs 2019 here’s a picture of them both. They have literally the same text and everything the same. No idea why nvidia says that using a 2017 power supply can cause issues. If they wanted to make the power supply different so people wouldn’t use it they should of changed it in some way.

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Anybody that’s curious about the power supply in the 2017 vs 2019 here’s a picture of them both. They have literally the same text and everything the same. No idea why nvidia says that using a 2017 power supply can cause issues. If they wanted to make the power supply different so people wouldn’t use it they should of changed it in some way.
Its all the same machine! The only thing they upgraded was the remote!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Its all the same machine! The only thing they upgraded was the remote!

That’s not correct. Do you have one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Run CPUZ and post your results, you'll see them exactly the same as 2017 version.

I have both and the 2019 is noticeably faster. You don’t so you can’t see that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have both and the 2019 is noticeably faster. You don’t so you can’t see that.

Ohh, great If you have both! Please make all of us a favor, and post the results of BOTH CPUZ tests.
We will really appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Ohh, great If you have both! Please make all of us a favor, and post the results of BOTH CPUZ tests.
We will really appreciate your efforts.

I read the description for cpu-z and it doesn’t test everything. That’s like comparing two cars and disputing one is faster by only measuring horsepower or aerodynamics. What I’m trying to tell you is that it’s faster by every meaningful measure. If it wasn’t I would have returned it if DoVi or the remote (which I don’t use anyway) were the only improvements.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I read the description for cpu-z and it doesn’t test everything. That’s like comparing two cars and disputing one is faster by only measuring horsepower or aerodynamics. What I’m trying to tell you is that it’s faster by every meaningful measure. If it wasn’t I would have returned it if DoVi or the remote (which I don’t use anyway) were the only improvements.

But, really, can you make all of us the favor to post the CPUZ results since you own both???

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
But, really, can you make all of us the favor to post the CPUZ results since you own both???
Here you go...
Architecture
2017 - 4x ARM Cortex-A57 @ 1.73. GHz
Pro. - 4x ARM Cortex-A57 @ 2.01 GHz

Clock Speed
2017 - 102 MHz - 1.73 GHz
Pro. - 102 MHz - 2.01 GHz

Model
2017 - foster_e_hdd
Pro. - mdarcy

Storage
Different because my 2017 is the Pro version with 500 Go 🐻’s! available.

Bootloader
2017 and Pro are different
Build ID different
Kernal Versions are different between Tegra and Tegra +

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Here you go...
Architecture
2017 - 4x ARM Cortex-A57 @ 1.73. GHz
Pro. - 4x ARM Cortex-A57 @ 2.01 GHz

Clock Speed
2017 - 102 MHz - 1.73 GHz
Pro. - 102 MHz - 2.01 GHz

Model
2017 - foster_e_hdd
Pro. - mdarcy

Storage
Different because my 2017 is the Pro version with 500 Go ’s! available.

Bootloader
2017 and Pro are different
Build ID different
Kernal Versions are different between Tegra and Tegra +
The 2019 is a die shrink of the 2017 Tegra chipset that runs at faster clock speed, it also has Atmos decoding instead of passthrough and Dolby vision support. AI upscaling as well which is very nice.
Thanks for sharing the captures. Sorry then. I trusted this guy:

·
Registered
17 Posts

I think they are just referring to the fact your old PSU could have aged and not be functioning as well as a brand-new unit.

The only other possibility IMO is if the PSU manufacturer has improved their quality control so newer PSUs are less likely to have issues. eg my 2017 PSU had coil whine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think they are just referring to the fact your old PSU could have aged and not be functioning as well as a brand-new unit.

The only other possibility IMO is if the PSU manufacturer has improved their quality control so newer PSUs are less likely to have issues. eg my 2017 PSU had coil whine.
power supplies age and can cause issues over years? I guess that's news to me. I have everything running through a line conditioner anyway.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have both the 2017 16 gig model and the new Pro 2019 model. This is strictly an opinion here - my takeaway is that the non pro 2019 was about marketing. They want it to compete directly with items such as Amazon's offering and the lesser Roku etc. The Pro is more of a "bump" up from the 2017 models. Slight speed increase and better 4k and audio handling.

There is always talk about up scaling but I can say this device does very well with down scaling UHD level media to 1080 limited screens. To me, the remote is a welcome change but not a deal maker as there are 3rd party options that are not very expensive that are more like a standard remote than the 2017's minimal style remote.

My only real negative is that the repositioning of the two models might overall make sense but the missing game hand controller is a bit questionable. There are other hand controls which people prefer and Nvidia is giving them a good reason to go get those instead of their own by not including them at a reasonable price as a "kit" as they have done before. Fortunately for me, I am not really a gamer and found Nvidia TV Shield "Pro" with Kodi great for my media file play back and for watching streaming content. My 2017 model remains with the game handset controller for my friend's grand kids.

Final - not a significant reason to upgrade unless you want a second device or one of the mild "bump" upgrades is specific to your needs over the 2017 model.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Anyone aware of any black Friday/cyber Monday deals on the pro? I've been holding out hoping to see something but I can't find anything.
I've been searching all weekend and never found anything, other than the 2017 model at $170. I can't remember if it was Amazon or Best Buy. But the new 2019 model I haven't seen anything at all.

1401 - 1420 of 5880 Posts