AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 5890 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,398 Posts
I've been searching all weekend and never found anything, other than the 2017 model at $170. I can't remember if it was Amazon or Best Buy. But the new 2019 model I haven't seen anything at all.
I think it was Best Buy, they were marked as a clearance item.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I couldn't find any sales either. Got my dad the non-pro for Xmas for when he travels and I ended up paying full price. If I see it on sale I'll grab myself one for the same reason.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I read the description for cpu-z and it doesn’t test everything. That’s like comparing two cars and disputing one is faster by only measuring horsepower or aerodynamics. What I’m trying to tell you is that it’s faster by every meaningful measure. If it wasn’t I would have returned it if DoVi or the remote (which I don’t use anyway) were the only improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, when you say noticeably faster, in what way? Gaming, transcoding plex videos, menu navigation?

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I just had to put my 10 cents in here-I have the original 2015 Shield TV and was looking for something a bit newer and with more horse power under the hood. I use my Shield for local playback of video files off an external portable hdd, no streaming, nas or other such stuff. When I found out Nvidia was going to sell a "new" Shield which turned out to be a slightly warmed over version of the older model I looked around and got an Odroid N2 running Coreelec. Best investment I ever made, it plays video that made the Shield stutter. I have to admit I watch mostly downloaded anime-especially the infamous hi10 L5.1 h.264 format with 16 reference frames. The N2 basically blows the Shield out of the water at less than 1/2 the price of the Pro model. Admittedly the H2 is an sbc-but still......!! :cool::D

Agreed the N2 is a great device. It can't replace the shield for me because I use a lot of apps.

I ended up putting in the bedroom with a Roku tv, which imo does streaming fine but local content wars a bit lacking.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Out of curiosity, when you say noticeably faster, in what way? Gaming, transcoding plex videos, menu navigation?

See post #1411 for the stats but apps open faster, navigating around the UI and within apps is faster. Even updating or installing apps is a little faster.
As far a Plex goes I’ve always direct played so no transcoding and it feels about the same. No buffering or lag. I’m not a gamer so I can’t answer that one. Overall it’s about 25% faster which matches Nvidia’s claims plus you have added features like Dolby Vision and AI upscaling.

·
Registered
167 Posts
See post #1411 for the stats but apps open faster, navigating around the UI and within apps is faster. Even updating or installing apps is a little faster.
As far a Plex goes I’ve always direct played so no transcoding and it feels about the same. No buffering or lag. I’m not a gamer so I can’t answer that one. Overall it’s about 25% faster which matches Nvidia’s claims plus you have added features like Dolby Vision and AI upscaling.

I think it is a definite improvement over my 2015 Shield. It's not a day and night difference but it is faster. And I love the AI upscaling. I even have a few VHS rips :D from back in the 90's that haven't yet made it to digital that the AI improved, not dramatically but noticeable. Well worth the $200. Having said that I still love my 2015 Shield. The build quality is much better IMO. Very solid and hefty. It will always have a place in my home.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm considering giving the Shield Pro a try and am wondering if it would be a fit for my needs. I am looking for the best video and audio quality possible over all streaming apps, but primarily Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime. I understand that YouTube HDR is an issue at present, but I can live with that for now. All other features are secondary.

I'm currently running everything through:

LG C8 (professionally calibrated)
Denon x3300w
5.2 speaker configuration (non-Atmos)

As of now I typically stream from my Xbox One X (everything except Netflix, as the Xbox forces *all* content into Dolby Vision, which is irritating).

I took delivery of an Apple TV 4K box last week. The visuals are great - everything seems to display properly, it auto-switches in and out of Dolby Vision as it should, colors, gamma, etc, look accurate from a purely visual perspective.

However, audio quality has been an issue. I've tried every setting combination possible, factory reset and updated, etc, to no avail. The issue is that the sound coming from the Xbox is superior, particularly in heavy LFE situations. It's not simply an issue of volume-matching, either. I can crank the AVR up to 15dB+ higher than the Xbox, and it still sounds, well, anemic in comparison. Short of a quick resolution, I'll be sending it back. In that case I will need a replacement.

Has anyone compared audio performance between this and an Xbox One and / or an ATV4K? How about from the video front? Will I be losing any video quality to the Apple in making a switch?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
But, really, can you make all of us the favor to post the CPUZ results since you own both???
I am pretty certain it also has a faster memory controller.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I'm considering giving the Shield Pro a try and am wondering if it would be a fit for my needs. I am looking for the best video and audio quality possible over all streaming apps, but primarily Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime. I understand that YouTube HDR is an issue at present, but I can live with that for now. All other features are secondary.

Denon x3300w

As of now I typically stream from my Xbox One X (everything except Netflix, as the Xbox forces *all* content into Dolby Vision, which is irritating).

I took delivery of an Apple TV 4K box last week. The visuals are great - everything seems to display properly, it auto-switches in and out of Dolby Vision as it should, colors, gamma, etc, look accurate from a purely visual perspective.

However, audio quality has been an issue. I've tried every setting combination possible, factory reset and updated, etc, to no avail. The issue is that the sound coming from the Xbox is superior, particularly in heavy LFE situations. It's not simply an issue of volume-matching, either. I can crank the AVR up to 15dB+ higher than the Xbox, and it still sounds, well, anemic in comparison. Short of a quick resolution, I'll be sending it back. In that case I will need a replacement.

Has anyone compared audio performance between this and an Xbox One and / or an ATV4K? How about from the video front? Will I be losing any video quality to the Apple in making a switch?

Thanks in advance.

I have the new Shield, 2017 Shield and 3 ATV4K’s. I also don’t have Atmos so not bitstreaming Atmos is not an issue for me. Now that I am familiar with the new Shield I have gone back to my ATV4K for 99% of my viewing. It’s just better in many ways.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I am pretty certain it also has a faster memory controller.

See post #1411 for the screenshots of the data differences. I didn’t see “memory controller” as a measurable category but if I missed it I can check again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No idea why nvidia says that using a 2017 power supply can cause issues. If they wanted to make the power supply different so people wouldn’t use it they should of changed it in some way.

I simply unattached my 2017 version and attached the 2019 version and have had absolutely no problems at all for the last three weeks or so of using it almost every night.

Why on earth would the power supplies be any different whatsoever? I don't believe they are.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Denon x3300w

Thanks in advance.
I don't think ATV4K can passthrough DTS-MA and TrueHD. This is why I went with the Shield Pro.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: stikle and aaronwt

·
Registered
532 Posts
I simply unattached my 2017 version and attached the 2019 version and have had absolutely no problems at all for the last three weeks or so of using it almost every night.

Why on earth would the power supplies be any different whatsoever? I don't believe they are.
That’s what I originally did to because it’s a pain to get to all the cords in my tv stand attached to the wall. Just reading a few pages back and someone said nvidia says not to use the 2017 power supply as it could cause issues. Eventually just swapped it in but really think it doesn’t matter. They look the exact same and same writing on them both.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
See post #1411 for the screenshots of the data differences. I didn’t see “memory controller” as a measurable category but if I missed it I can check again.

Sorry, I meant as in it has faster ram type eg ddr4x with increased speed.

Probably uses a better memory controller for that like Samsung or micron etc.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts

To be fair you did the opposite of what the OP and Nvidia supposedly said.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To be fair you did the opposite of what the OP and Nvidia supposedly said.

To clarify: I'm using the 2017 power supply with the 2019 Shield Box and have had no problems at all.

Have Nvidia even said what the 'differences' are, or just that they're somehow different?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
To clarify: I'm using the 2017 power supply with the 2019 Shield Box and have had no problems at all.

Have Nvidia even said what the 'differences' are, or just that they're somehow different?

I don’t know what Nvidia said other that what someone here said they said. I do know the internals changed.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

They didn't say what the differences are. They simply stated that they were getting reports of bootloops after a firmware update when people were using the old power supply with the 2019 Shield.

They also said you could use the 2019 power supply with an older Shield without issue.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I don't think ATV4K can passthrough DTS-MA and TrueHD. This is why I went with the Shield Pro.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This is correct. Except for some inexpensive Android boxes, or some other, more expensive players (Popcorn I believe) the Shield is alone in bitstreaming lossless audio. And those inexpensive boxes have other limitations in some areas as well, such as app support.

·
UHD Addict
37,461 Posts
I have both the 2017 16 gig model and the new Pro 2019 model. This is strictly an opinion here - my takeaway is that the non pro 2019 was about marketing. They want it to compete directly with items such as Amazon's offering and the lesser Roku etc. The Pro is more of a "bump" up from the 2017 models. Slight speed increase and better 4k and audio handling.

There is always talk about up scaling but I can say this device does very well with down scaling UHD level media to 1080 limited screens. To me, the remote is a welcome change but not a deal maker as there are 3rd party options that are not very expensive that are more like a standard remote than the 2017's minimal style remote.

My only real negative is that the repositioning of the two models might overall make sense but the missing game hand controller is a bit questionable. There are other hand controls which people prefer and Nvidia is giving them a good reason to go get those instead of their own by not including them at a reasonable price as a "kit" as they have done before. Fortunately for me, I am not really a gamer and found Nvidia TV Shield "Pro" with Kodi great for my media file play back and for watching streaming content. My 2017 model remains with the game handset controller for my friend's grand kids.

Final - not a significant reason to upgrade unless you want a second device or one of the mild "bump" upgrades is specific to your needs over the 2017 model.
I think the new models should have been priced $50 lower. So $100 for the cylinder and $150 for the Pro model would have made more sense to me.

I'm still considering picking up the Pro model for a Christmas present to me. But then I would also need to sell one of my 2017 models. If the 2019 Pro model went on sale for $150, then i would have picked one up already.

1421 - 1440 of 5890 Posts