1461 - 1480 of 5846 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I suppose that's an option, too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
how do I get these hot fixes? its a little confusing. Is Nvidia releasing new updates on software for my Sony tv? When will they be available?

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can pick up a bluetooth receiver from TP-Link at Amazon for less than $15 and connect the shield via bluetooth to any pair of speakers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You can also get a cheap USB to 3.5 audio DAC for 2 ch stereo.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You can pick up a bluetooth receiver from TP-Link at Amazon for less than $15 and connect the shield via bluetooth to any pair of speakers.
Thanks! You know, that may just do the trick. I wasn't aware of this. Another device to plug in and deal with, but it is an inexpensive solution. The $35 Mi box has a 3.5mm audio jack. I only wish the $135 shield came with one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You can also get a cheap USB to 3.5 audio DAC for 2 ch stereo.
True, but that uses up one of the USB ports. Most of my use consists of playing high-bitrate files from local storage (HDD or flash drive), often with external subtitles, so I value having two USB ports free to plug in two HDD's.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Anyone have issues with Plex app connecting to a Plex Media Server lately? I consistently need to restart the Shield to get it to reconnect. However, any other device on the network works fine connected to the same media server.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
True, but that uses up one of the USB ports. Most of my use consists of playing high-bitrate files from local storage (HDD or flash drive), often with external subtitles, so I value having two USB ports free to plug in two HDD's.

I have four 10TB drives connected to this and I’m playing 90-130 Mbps 4K/HDR files through it no problem. That leaves one free on the Shield and room to grow on the hub. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VDVCQ84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just learned that the big unwieldy Shield gaming remote comes with an analog 3.5mm audio jack. Another workaround. I don't play games, so I never paid it much attention before.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Still no analog audio outs? Still no sale.
What's an analog output?;)

Personally I wish they sold all devices with an option for only digital outputs and lowered the price. Since I started weaning myself of analog connections in 2005. When I started using HDMi devices.

Even 25 years ago I was using optical connections with the devices that had them. But now I wouldn't even use an optical connection.

Reactions: Clukyman and JimVR4

·
Registered
401 Posts
Analog audio can still be of some use, running the Shield as a streaming music box right into a pre-amp is great but yes, I agree don't build it in. Any analog output on a cheap streaming device is going to be pretty basic, I'd much rather not have the space and cost overhead of an analog stage I wouldn't use and just plug a USB or Optical DAC in. That way if I want something cheap for basic output then I can plug in a $20 DAC and be done, if I want something higher-end I can choose that too. There really isn't any reason to prefer integrated analog out over an outboard DAC with this.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just installed Hotfix #3 , 32.7.301.52.

Happy to report that on my Sony x930e, all colorspace switching is working correctly.

Main screen at startup shows 422 BT709 12b 593Mhz
Playing an HDR10 file (via Plex) Shield correctly switches to
422 BT2020 12b HDR 297Mhz
Playing a Dolby Vision video Shield correctly switches to
422 BT2020 12b DV 593Mhz
Exit back to Main (Home) screen, back to BT709 12b 593Mhz

Rinse and repeat...

·
Registered
975 Posts
I just installed Hotfix #3 , 32.7.301.52.

Happy to report that on my Sony x930e, all colorspace switching is working correctly.

422 BT2020 12b DV 593Mhz

Rinse and repeat...
Awesome thanks for the update, hopefully they roll out an official update soon.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This is a weird question, so long shot probably.

My old original Shield will do this 4k30, but playback is generally not 100% smooth. Not too surprising. Anyway, does anyone use 4k30 on the Shield? I'm curious if the new model handles 30hz better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
whats the difference in the posted shield....

and this one ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0MKYO8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01M0MKYO8&pd_rd_w=6nWe9&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=d1A1N&pf_rd_r=3MYRMYSMY3J6DVZ26BK9&pd_rd_r=2b7cb412-662d-4a02-9423-77cf96ad4b67&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVNzE1UDFEOUc0MVgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4MjMxNTEzOEdBUjVCVzBEUEEwJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MDg2NTQyR1g0R1dIREJQM1omd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl#customerReviews

i just bought a new i7 ssd laptop to basically stream my wav and flac files from j river etc.
would i be better off going this route instead ?
the laptop was 500 bucks on sale from 800 bucks.
system is onkyo rz 820, running 5.1.2 atmos height speakers
just got a new lg oled b9 to go with it

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just installed Hotfix [URL=https://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] , 32.7.301.52.

422 BT2020 12b DV 593Mhz

Rinse and repeat...
My hotfix #3 is 32.7.301.43
Just received it last night. Not sure the difference in yours. I have a 900f Sony.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It’s extremely fast and rock solid but if it had the Apple TV app (aka iTunes) that might do it for me. I have several hundred movies half of which are 4K on that app and hundreds of TV shows that don’t port to Vudu or Movies Anywhere so that’s important. Maybe they’ll make a version for Android TV since they now have one for Android Fire TV.
Another benefit of Apple is all my devices sync to each other. Same apps, same home screen, etc. That’s a nice feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t forget how good everything looks with the appletv4k. The interface/artwork/apps. All are super high resolution and sharp and bright. The interface on the shield is pretty bad. It’s fuzzy in comparison. Apps don’t feel polished they seem half assed android apps that don’t get the detail Apple puts into things that go a long way for user experience. The flyover screens don’t hurt either. Apple Music is beautiful. There is no music apps on the shield that blow me away in terms of how they look and operate. Just generic apps doing their jobs basically. No attention to detail.
I also just use the appletv4k mostly. I use kodi and the plex server on the shield. That’s about it. I much prefer the infuse player on the appletv even if I lose atmos support for my own files. Everything looks better with the same content from appletv4k to shield. I need both though as I have some uses for the shield.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I have both the ATV4K and the new 2019 Shield.

I compare image quality Kodi vs infuse and for both my blu ray rip and my 4k rip, all 1:1 rip, I prefer the Kodi image. I think the new AI processing on the Shield really is a game changer. The older Shield was a great product but now with AI the new 2019 eat at the same table as other high quality image media player.

Before the Shield, I use ATV4K, a Zappiti player and a FireStick. I also have own a Zidoo, a Dune and many other players. After my test, I sold all my other players and just keep the new Shield.

This new 2019 little box can do all my streaming with top quality Dolby Vision / Atmos and can play my 1:1 rip with great image quality. It’s about time a all-in-one « no compromise » solution exist.

The new Shield still need a firmware or two, but I think it will soon be THE box to have in our ring. And for my part, the price they ask for all that is ridiculously cheap compare to what I pay in all other media box I own.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My hotfix #3 is 32.7.301.43
Just received it last night. Not sure the difference in yours. I have a 900f Sony.
It sound like you just have Hotfix #2 . I apologize, I probably should not have called this a “Hotfix”. It was labeled Engineering Test Build. When I go to Device Preferences->About->SHIELD Android TV SW Version it reports: 8.1.1(32.7.301.52).

BTW, a 900f user in the NVidia forum reports it does fix the color space issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think the new AI processing on the Shield really is a game changer.

Agreed. I watch my projector from a fairly long distance and using the Shield19's AI on the Medium setting makes 1080p content looks the best I've ever seen it - almost indistinguishable from 4K.

However, I found the highest setting introduced far too much edge enhancement on detailed scenes.

1461 - 1480 of 5846 Posts