AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 5456 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have both the ATV4K and the new 2019 Shield.

I compare image quality Kodi vs infuse and for both my blu ray rip and my 4k rip, all 1:1 rip, I prefer the Kodi image. I think the new AI processing on the Shield really is a game changer. The older Shield was a great product but now with AI the new 2019 eat at the same table as other high quality image media player.

Before the Shield, I use ATV4K, a Zappiti player and a FireStick. I also have own a Zidoo, a Dune and many other players. After my test, I sold all my other players and just keep the new Shield.

This new 2019 little box can do all my streaming with top quality Dolby Vision / Atmos and can play my 1:1 rip with great image quality. It’s about time a all-in-one « no compromise » solution exist.

The new Shield still need a firmware or two, but I think it will soon be THE box to have in our ring. And for my part, the price they ask for all that is ridiculously cheap compare to what I pay in all other media box I own.
What display settings do you have set in the shield? I’m getting opposite results. Especially playback of my own hdr content. You have hdr10 files you tested? Ai enhanced doesn’t work with 4k content just 1080p upscale to 4k. Are you leaving your kodi set to 4k then and not having your tv do the upscaling? Setting the kodi settings to 1080p and checking all the options in the white list would have the tv do the upscaling.

·
Registered
375 Posts
After a couple of weeks of usage, I gota say, the 19 pro shield is pretty awesome, when it works right. But with my equipment, whenever it switches the refresh rate, it throws a HDCP error complaining about the cables being used. Cables would seem to be fine since once I get past the stupid error message a couple of times everything works as it should. I used the Refresh Rate app to identify when the error was occurring. The app would show the initial refresh rate and again when it was changed followed immediately by the HDCP error. TV and shield are set to the defaulted 4k 59.940 hz. The Marantz does upscale everything to 4k but lacks the details of what the color space/refresh rates are. While refresh rate matching maybe important to flawless playback, on my system, changing the rate causes its own set of issues. Obviously, not every one that owns the new shield is having this issue but for my Shield ==> Marantz ==> Sony chain something is failing when the refresh is changed. Not sure where the issue is or even if the issue is inherent to HDCP itself. Also not sure what can be done about it....

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Analog audio can still be of some use, running the Shield as a streaming music box right into a pre-amp is great but yes, I agree don't build it in. Any analog output on a cheap streaming device is going to be pretty basic, I'd much rather not have the space and cost overhead of an analog stage I wouldn't use and just plug a USB or Optical DAC in. That way if I want something cheap for basic output then I can plug in a $20 DAC and be done, if I want something higher-end I can choose that too. There really isn't any reason to prefer integrated analog out over an outboard DAC with this.

Add analog jacks, then expect people screaming for an ESS Sabre DAC, and then you'll have a 300 to 400 Dollar Nvidia Shield.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 2019 Shield Pro, an LG C8, and an AVR4300X. When I switch to the Shield it offers to enable Dolby Vision HDR. Upon doing so the screen goes blank and does not return after several minutes. When I first saw this behavior I unplugged the Shield power supply and eventually the unit returned to the home screen. Everything works normally until I enable DV. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad unit?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just learned that the big unwieldy Shield gaming remote comes with an analog 3.5mm audio jack. Another workaround. I don't play games, so I never paid it much attention before.

I don't play games on the Shield either, and I have 2 of those controllers. I got one with the Shield tablet, and one with the Shield 2017.
At least the Shield has 2 USB 3.0 ports, unlike a lot of other boxes.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I have a 2019 Shield Pro, an LG C8, and an AVR4300X. When I switch to the Shield it offers to enable Dolby Vision HDR. Upon doing so the screen goes blank and does not return after several minutes. When I first saw this behavior I unplugged the Shield power supply and eventually the unit returned to the home screen. Everything works normally until I enable DV. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad unit?
I believe the Shield is trying to send [email protected] Can your tv or AVR handle [email protected]? If it can, do you have a premium certified HDMI cable? If not, it may be because your cable cant handle the bandwidth needed for [email protected]

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I had this problem with my setup as well, and my equipment does handle DV @60Hz.

This is how I fixed it:

Enable DV, and when the screen goes black, wait 20 seconds, then press the Enter button on the remote (center button). If the screen still stays black after that, pull the HDMI cable from the Shield, wait about 10 seconds, then plug it back in. The screen should come back saying DV isn't supported.

The Shield told me DV wasn't supported, but it was still enabled. I even rebooted the Shield, and DV was still enabled in the settings. And DV worked in Netflix, Disney+, etc. Haven't had any issues since that.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have essentially the same gear as you. It should work fine. Try a different HDMI cable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe the Shield is trying to send [email protected] Can your tv or AVR handle [email protected]? If it can, do you have a premium certified HDMI cable? If not, it may be because your cable cant handle the bandwidth needed for [email protected]0hz.
I had this problem with my setup as well, and my equipment does handle DV @60Hz.

This is how I fixed it:

Enable DV, and when the screen goes black, wait 20 seconds, then press the Enter button on the remote (center button). If the screen still stays black after that, pull the HDMI cable from the Shield, wait about 10 seconds, then plug it back in. The screen should come back saying DV isn't supported.

The Shield told me DV wasn't supported, but it was still enabled. I even rebooted the Shield, and DV was still enabled in the settings. And DV worked in Netflix, Disney+, etc. Haven't had any issues since that.
I have essentially the same gear as you. It should work fine. Try a different HDMI cable.
Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't paying attention that DV requires a much greater transmission bandwidth than HDR10. I have multiple short HDMI cable runs in the chain including one within the wall and one that is thin and flexible behind the TV. I'll have to further investigate which cable is likely causing the issue. I should add that when I first tried to enable DV I saw snow like you would get with an old analog set tuned to the wrong channel. Gives more weight to this being a cable issue.

·
UHD Addict
37,238 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't paying attention that DV requires a much greater transmission bandwidth than HDR10. I have multiple short HDMI cable runs in the chain including one within the wall and one that is thin and flexible behind the TV. I'll have to further investigate which cable is likely causing the issue. I should add that when I first tried to enable DV I saw snow like you would get with an old analog set tuned to the wrong channel. Gives more weight to this being a cable issue.
Dolby vision doesnt require more. If actually needs less. Assuming you have normal DV and not the borked DV that Sony uses. DV was designed to work with HDMI 1.4. But because of copy protection stuff, of course you actually need HDMi 2.0 or later.

Normal DV uses RGB at 8 bit, and the extra bits are sent along with it. Thereby only needing lower bandwidth. But Sonys cheap implementation sends a 12 bit signal, requiring much more bandwidth.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

Reactions: galonzo and dwaleke

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have both the ATV4K and the new 2019 Shield.

I compare image quality Kodi vs infuse and for both my blu ray rip and my 4k rip, all 1:1 rip, I prefer the Kodi image. I think the new AI processing on the Shield really is a game changer. The older Shield was a great product but now with AI the new 2019 eat at the same table as other high quality image media player.

Before the Shield, I use ATV4K, a Zappiti player and a FireStick. I also have own a Zidoo, a Dune and many other players. After my test, I sold all my other players and just keep the new Shield.

This new 2019 little box can do all my streaming with top quality Dolby Vision / Atmos and can play my 1:1 rip with great image quality. It’s about time a all-in-one « no compromise » solution exist.

The new Shield still need a firmware or two, but I think it will soon be THE box to have in our ring. And for my part, the price they ask for all that is ridiculously cheap compare to what I pay in all other media box I own.

I fully agree, I was using my ATV4K for anything where PQ was more important than audio, and Shield where lossless was more important, now my ATV4K only gets used for iTunes library content.

I do seem to have a bug with Kodi on both my 19 Pro and 17 Shield where certain media files from my NAS die a few seconds in, yet Infuse has no issues nor my PC. I even re-ripped 1 disc to test and Kodi failed in exact same spot. If only Infuse would port to Android TV.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
After a couple of weeks of usage, I gota say, the 19 pro shield is pretty awesome, when it works right. But with my equipment, whenever it switches the refresh rate, it throws a HDCP error complaining about the cables being used. Cables would seem to be fine since once I get past the stupid error message a couple of times everything works as it should. I used the Refresh Rate app to identify when the error was occurring. The app would show the initial refresh rate and again when it was changed followed immediately by the HDCP error. TV and shield are set to the defaulted 4k 59.940 hz. The Marantz does upscale everything to 4k but lacks the details of what the color space/refresh rates are. While refresh rate matching maybe important to flawless playback, on my system, changing the rate causes its own set of issues. Obviously, not every one that owns the new shield is having this issue but for my Shield ==> Marantz ==> Sony chain something is failing when the refresh is changed. Not sure where the issue is or even if the issue is inherent to HDCP itself. Also not sure what can be done about it....
Refresh Rate app was doing same thing for me. Amazon Prime video would show oddly 23.00 initially then when it would switch to 23.97 it would throw a copyright HDCP error. I need to try my 17 Shield to see if this is unique to the 19 Pro.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I just installed Hotfix [URL=https://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] , 32.7.301.52.

Happy to report that on my Sony x930e, all colorspace switching is working correctly.

Main screen at startup shows 422 BT709 12b 593Mhz

Playing an HDR10 file (via Plex) Shield correctly switches to

422 BT2020 12b HDR 297Mhz

Playing a Dolby Vision video Shield correctly switches to

422 BT2020 12b DV 593Mhz

Exit back to Main (Home) screen, back to BT709 12b 593Mhz

Rinse and repeat...

Just to clarify...this is not a hotfix, or more specifically, this is not hotfix #3 . It is a test image pushed to Shield owners who are known to have a Sony display impacted by this issue. If it resolves the issue (which it appears to do) it will be rolled into the next release.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Refresh Rate app was doing same thing for me. Amazon Prime video would show oddly 23.00 initially then when it would switch to 23.97 it would throw a copyright HDCP error. I need to try my 17 Shield to see if this is unique to the 19 Pro.
I have a 17 Shield too. I was able use Refresh Rate app to create the issue using the match the film's refresh rate option on the 17, but without Refresh Rate enabled, the issue does not occur for me. Prime is where I see this the most with same 23.00 getting switched to 23.97. Seems like I have seen it occur with other rates as well but have not documented them. Prime is not the only one with the issue, I have also seen it on Disney+.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Doesn't the 19 Shield Pro now have it's own refresh rate feature built-in from a hotfix or something? If so, is the 3rd party refresh rate app still work better? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Doesn't the 19 Shield Pro now have it's own refresh rate feature built-in from a hotfix or something? If so, is the 3rd party refresh rate app still work better? Thanks.
The internal version is done manually by the user each time when a video starts with the remote. The 3rd party version is automatic, they both seem to have issues with certain apps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The internal version is done manually by the user each time when a video starts with the remote. The 3rd party version is automatic, they both seem to have issues with certain apps.
Great to know. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did anybody notice That the ai-upscaling stopped working with Kodi and the latest hotfix?

It was workin for sure with kodi. Only Change is latest hotfix. Now ist only tells me unsupported fuction in kodi.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can not get AI-scaling to work with any app. Maybe it is just a general problem with the hot fix?

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2 mit Tapatalk

1481 - 1500 of 5456 Posts