AVS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 5455 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Doesn't the 19 Shield Pro now have it's own refresh rate feature built-in from a hotfix or something? If so, is the 3rd party refresh rate app still work better? Thanks.
The app works better but on my 2016 E6 OLED, I still have to manually select DV at 23.976 to get DV. For some weird reason, if I don't, the beta refresh rate and the refresh rate app will switch it only to HDR10 @23.976hz/24hz if I don't force it to DV @23.976.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dolby Vision over HDMI not working on Vizio M558-G1?

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and I can only get HDR10 to work when connecting via HDMI to the TV. I’ve tried connecting directly to all the TV's HDMI ports and multiple new high speed 18 Gpbs HDMI cables. I still cannot get Dolby Vision to work over HDMI. It does not show as a supported picture output to the TV within the Shield settings. UHD color is enabled on the TV input. Dolby Vision on the TV does work casting Netflix to the TV from my phone, but not over HDMI to the TV. Am I missing something or do I need to try one of the 8K 48 Gpbs cables to get it to work? RTINGs does say my TV supports Dolby Vision on all HDMI inputs but I'm having no luck.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Dolby Vision over HDMI not working on Vizio M558-G1?

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and I can only get HDR10 to work when connecting via HDMI to the TV. I’ve tried connecting directly to all the TV's HDMI ports and multiple new high speed 18 Gpbs HDMI cables. I still cannot get Dolby Vision to work over HDMI. It does not show as a supported picture output to the TV within the Shield settings. UHD color is enabled on the TV input. Dolby Vision on the TV does work casting Netflix to the TV from my phone, but not over HDMI to the TV. Am I missing something or do I need to try one of the 8K 48 Gpbs cables to get it to work? RTINGs does say my TV supports Dolby Vision on all HDMI inputs but I'm having no luck.
Have you tried forcing the Shield to play [email protected]? See my post above yours.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Is there anyway to disable the Netflix button on the remote? I have accidentally pressed it a few times now.

DV worked fine for me when I test a few DV demos via plex.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is there anyway to disable the Netflix button on the remote? I have accidentally pressed it a few times now.

Thanks

That button has a hair trigger. Just hit the back button, and it will go back to whatever you were doing.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

Thanks

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.homebutton
https://www.xda-developers.com/shield-tv-remote-netflix-button-remapped/

I have not used it myself so not sure the option is there to just disable it, you'll have to give it a go.

Reactions: ynnek63

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'll wait and look for reviews of the new one before making a decision. The last released Shield had "soft" PQ compared to the ATV4K and ROKU Ultra in my visual testing. Sold it but always on the outlook for a great streamer that checks all my needs.
Gerry
Agreed, my current Shield has very soft looking 4K images compared to WebOS / Apple TV

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Agreed, I have an original shield TV myslef and i would really like to see side-by-side stills frames before I pull the trigger to make the upgrade.
As I was quoted two posts above, I did purchase the 2019 Shield Pro.. In my opinion it is significantly better than the 2017 that I sold.. I have been using it everyday as my main streamer even to the point that I removed my ATV4K out of my setup. The AI upscaling seems to work very well. However, every once in a while it seems to stutter on some panning shots like it can't keep up or something. Don't take this as gospel as I have just started looking into it to determine whether it's the AI scaling, The show, or something else. I do still have my Roku Ultra in my setup so I have something that I will be comparing against.
Gerry

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a 2019 Shield Pro, an LG C8, and an AVR4300X. When I switch to the Shield it offers to enable Dolby Vision HDR. Upon doing so the screen goes blank and does not return after several minutes. When I first saw this behavior I unplugged the Shield power supply and eventually the unit returned to the home screen. Everything works normally until I enable DV. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad unit?
It's probably the cables. kabeldirekt on Amazon 6-12 ft I have confirmed as a cheap 18gb600 MHz cable. Older monoprice premiums failed the test in my system at 20'. Monoprice replacement passed

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried forcing the Shield to play [email protected]? See my post above yours.
After a ton of digging I finally stumbled upon a post in the Shield forums that states an issue with Vizio's latest firmware update (believe it was the one that turned on HDR10+) breaking Dolby Vision support from the Shield. What a nightmare since I've already spent a bunch of time messing with this and bought 2 different HDMI cables to get it to work. Waiting on a hotfix from either Nvidia or Vizio. For anyone who would like to know, here is the post in question.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/328238/shield-2019-owners-with-vizio-p-tvs-do-not-take-l/

·
Registered
41 Posts
After a ton of digging I finally stumbled upon a post in the Shield forums that states an issue with Vizio's latest firmware update (believe it was the one that turned on HDR10+) breaking Dolby Vision support from the Shield. What a nightmare since I've already spent a bunch of time messing with this and bought 2 different HDMI cables to get it to work. Waiting on a hotfix from either Nvidia or Vizio. For anyone who would like to know, here is the post in question.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/328238/shield-2019-owners-with-vizio-p-tvs-do-not-take-l/
Update from Nvidia: It looks like this might affect all TVs with HDR10+. Fix coming.

[email protected]
We had a bug in the detection logic on TV's which support HDR10+ as well as DV. We've fixed it, tested the fix with a few users and are working on a new HotFix which should come in the next week or two.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thx. A reboot of my shield fixed it.

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2 mit Tapatalk
I took about an hour today and replaced my 2015 shield with 2019.

What issues are people having with the Shield again. I haven't run across anything major. It did 1 update then updated all the apps. Running Kodi 18.5 right now.

I tried

Kodi
Netflix
Amazon
Disney+

So far, I dont see anything that is broken.

I enabled AI Enhanced. Have Demo mode active as an option
Display and Sound set to DV and HDR10 Ready ( Oled G6P)
Advanced Display Settings: Match Content Color Space - Automatically switches display between Rec. 2020 and 709
All CEC Off ( Use AVR 3300W Denon)
Set Option Key to Match Frame Rate Beta. (after playing with demo)

It does not seem full of bugs. Just a first run opinion. Is it faster, probably not due to the microsd internal storage on the shield 2015 being heavily fragmented and cycled with usage. Perhaps not, Either way, I did the 20% off at best buy Samsung Pay promotion and it seems to be a logical move forward supporting DV and Atmos Netflix special sauce. The AI scaler is nice, but its not night and day, and I dont have that much content that works with it. I see it being a big help if they squeeze 60fps out of the tech . I feel that will come.

Maybe a bug: press option key 5 times when DV is playing in netflix and get a shield 2019 reboot :)
I repeated this a few times to test.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting testing of DV files on both Emby and MrMC

I have been testing MrMC on the 2019 Shield and their latest beta that attempts to support DV on the Shield.
All my testing resulted in a complete crash of the Shield - reboot and all.
Koying (developer at MrMC) looked at the crash logs and pointed to NVidia.

I recently installed Emby on the new Shield. Did some similar testing.

It does point to an NVidia issue.

With the latest Emby Android client I was able to play numerous DV files fine.
Hmm, I thought that was curious. Anyway, I noticed the default for Emby Adjust display refresh rate was Off. So, I set it as I normally do to On start / stop.
Back to playing a DV file. Crash - exactly like MrMC.
Fired up MrMC and noticed I had set the Adjust display to On start / stop. Set it to Off.
MrMC played a number of DV files fine - refresh rate was always 60 hz but color space switched from BT709 to BT2020 correctly every time I played a DV file. TV also reported DV mode.
As a last test, I changed the default video settings of the Shield to 23.9 Hz refresh rate.
Again, DV files played fine and were at 23.9 refresh rate.

As a side note - NVidia has added a beta Match frame rate to the Shield. It is not automatic - you need to enable it every time a video starts. So, decided to see what happens when I attempt to match frame rate with MrMC.
For SDR and HDR10 files, it correctly changes (if warranted) the frame rate
When playing a DV file - it essentially seems to do nothing. No short screen blank and video continues at 60 hz.

Summary - MrMC will play DV files fine as long as Adjust frame rate is off, same for Emby. Also NVidia's Match frame rate will not do anything when playing DV files.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

I have been testing MrMC on the 2019 Shield and their latest beta that attempts to support DV on the Shield.

Hmm, I thought that was curious. Anyway, I noticed the default for Emby Adjust display refresh rate was Off. So, I set it as I normally do to On start / stop.
Fired up MrMC and noticed I had set the Adjust display to On start / stop. Set it to Off.
MrMC played a number of DV files fine - refresh rate was always 60 hz but color space switched from BT709 to BT2020 correctly every time I played a DV file. TV also reported DV mode.
As a last test, I changed the default video settings of the Shield to 23.9 Hz refresh rate.

As a side note - NVidia has added a beta Match frame rate to the Shield. It is not automatic - you need to enable it every time a video starts. So, decided to see what happens when I attempt to match frame rate with MrMC.
When playing a DV file - it essentially seems to do nothing. No short screen blank and video continues at 60 hz.

Summary - MrMC will play DV files fine as long as Adjust frame rate is off, same for Emby. Also NVidia's Match frame rate will not do anything when playing DV files.
I didn't know Emby was playing DV stuff, we are still talking only single layer right?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Hello All,

I have 2017 Nvidia shield pro 500 gb model, I would like to upgrade to latest model, what are the options do i have? Can you use old base which is 500 GB and connect to new model? Or I need to throw old one and buy new device?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

My emby cannot playback DV but this is probably due to my TV Sony A1 oled only being able to do "player led DV"

It worked fine in plex using the same lg dolby vision test demo but would not work on another mp4 demo.

Thanks

1501 - 1520 of 5455 Posts