AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 5004 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
[....] The odd thing though, is that some shows not labeled as Atmos in Netflix showed on my receiver as being Atmos. The Irishman is one such example. Thoughts on this?

[/LIST]
hi, i just checked and, with me, The Irishman does have a Dolby Atmos logo on the info page before you play the movie on my dutch Netflix in Shield 19. And plays as Atmos.
So, nothing strange there.

·
Registered
866 Posts
hi, i just checked and, with me, The Irishman does have a Dolby Atmos logo on the info page before you play the movie on my dutch Netflix in Shield 19. And plays as Atmos.
So, nothing strange there.
Maybe just labeled wrong here in the U.S. then? That makes me feel better.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Yes, exactly. Once they figure out the codes they will add them and we will be able to map them. They don't need to be mapped to a current Shield button we are just looking for the command itself. Hopefully they will make them available because the current method is pretty clumsy.

Yes, someone posted that you could enter in Shield Pro for model and Nvidia for manufacturer and get a new profile but I tested it and it was the same old profile with a different name. I tried all the buttons and commands and there wasn't anything new.
I am sure there is a keyboard shortcut for the commands you seek. the flirc is indeed ir and plugs to the USB. if you left the flirc on the shield it could recognize IR commands too from the device or activity. I understand the harmony is BT from the hub to the shield. However make no mistake it the hub can blast it just as well. Remember at this point no difference in the shiled 2019 and 2017 2016 profiles according to harmkny code database. You might have to add the Flirq device as a work around in the harmony devices. All it does is mimicking keyboard combos and commands but it also adds Ir for devices that have been deprived of this. If you find a KB command that does the soft key at the top you are can do it. Whether it's worth it or not not sure. Just pick up the new shield remote ;) maybe until logitech works it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi everyone! I can’t seem to see dolby vision in netflix using my shield pro, I only get hdr 10. How do i enable that? Is there a setting? Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
By the way my TV is a vizio pseries quantum x which supports most HDR formats including both HDR10 and Vision. Cable used is a certified premium hdmi. Hope that helps

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has anyone with a Harmony Elite found an updated 2019 Shield device yet?
I have asked again on the Logitech forum about this.

I'm surprised your having an issue as I had no issues "finding" on local network and adding a NVIDIA Shield (2019) tube with my Harmony Hub a few days ago.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I am sure there is a keyboard shortcut for the commands you seek. the flirc is indeed ir and plugs to the USB. if you left the flirc on the shield it could recognize IR commands too from the device or activity. I understand the harmony is BT from the hub to the shield. However make no mistake it the hub can blast it just as well. Remember at this point no difference in the shiled 2019 and 2017 2016 profiles according to harmkny code database. You might have to add the Flirq device as a work around in the harmony devices. All it does is mimicking keyboard combos and commands but it also adds Ir for devices that have been deprived of this. If you find a KB command that does the soft key at the top you are can do it. Whether it's worth it or not not sure. Just pick up the new shield remote ;) maybe until logitech works it out.

That's not how it works. It's not IR or BT from the device to the hub, it's RF. It's BT from hub to device in my case. We will just have to wait until the code's for the commands are available.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This past weekend I upgraded from a Roku Ultra (2017) to a NVIDIA Shield (2019) tube and am very happy with the improvements.

• AVR: Onkyo TX RZ840 (5.1.2 ATMOS configuration)
  • Optoma UHD65 (HDR10 4K capable), screen 110", self calibrated using HCFR and a ColorMunki Display colorometer
  • Win10 HTPC (GTX1660), Shield, Harmony Hub and 4K STB
  • YouTube, Netflix, Plex and Prime Video

Previous to the Shield I was dissatisfied with the brightness level of HDR content with the projector. Sure YouTube HDR demos looked great but in general Netflix and Prime HDR was simply too dark. I had to jump through some annoying hoops to force my streaming services to 4K only because of that HDR darkness distracting too much from my viewing pleasure. After switching to the NV (2019) tube and applying the latest hotfix:

• HDR brightness was boosted on the UHD65 enough so that I don't force streaming services to 4K only
  • Having ATMOS on all my streaming services simplifies life (as Roku didn't support ATMOS on Netflix)
  • The AI up-scaling, even at a medium setting, is better than the gimmick I had expected
  • The AI implementation is far less intrusive than a 30Hz limit would indicate. It is working well with all my streaming apps. I thought I'd constantly need to see frame rate changes and use various remote toggles to initiate the feature.
  • The speed of playback has taken me by surprise as it seems almost instant compared to a 2017 Roku Ultra
  • In general the Shields picture quality is better. The Roku was not bad but I'm consistently noticing an improvement.

In the summer, before my recent ATMOS AVR/speaker upgrades, I purchased a 2017 Shield but the remote frequently disconnected and a few services were having issues. I ended up returning the unit as the upgrade from the Roku Ultra didn't justify the purchase price. When the 2019 Shields were announced I sat on the sidelines as I wanted to see how many bugs the new units had. They certainly have their share and their still ongoing.

What allowed me to give the Shield another try was reading that the Hotfix firmware successfully addressed the issues that were important to me but the tipping point was reading in this forum that the "no back out" Hotfix policy is a major certified firmware release only stipulation (e.g. 8.1.0). I confirmed that on the NVIDIA forum and jumped right in. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

The new shield remote won't do what he wants to do. He wants special commands for things that don't have buttons. World be nice but seems like for the old shield they didn't have much in this regard. Probably better off getting the button remapping app, and then mapping a couple commands to unused buttons and then setting those buttons on the harmony remote.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The new shield remote won't do what he wants to do. He wants special commands for things that don't have buttons. World be nice but seems like for the old shield they didn't have much in this regard. Probably better off getting the button remapping app, and then mapping a couple commands to unused buttons and then setting those buttons on the harmony remote.

It doesn’t work like that. First of all, we aren’t trying to change the Shield remote, we are trying to add functions to the Harmony remote. You can’t “map” these, they need to be in the Harmony profile database. The mapping app you have been linking is not very good and is intended to link to existing Shield buttons. What we are trying to do is to designate free (unused) buttons to perform these commands. The ATV4K was like this for a while until Logitech added them. Logitech has already stated they are working on support for the 2019 Shield so it’s just a question of time.

Reactions: JGrana and jbalsor

·
Registered
38 Posts
By the way my TV is a vizio pseries quantum x which supports most HDR formats including both HDR10 and Vision. Cable used is a certified premium hdmi. Hope that helps
Yeah you are in the same boat as most of us Vizio P series owners. The HDR10+ update that Vizio put out last month made DV disappear on the new Shield. I posted about it over on the Nvidia forums and a rep messaged me and eventually got a hotfix for it. DV toggle is now back on my Shield.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This past weekend I upgraded from a Roku Ultra (2017) to a NVIDIA Shield (2019) tube and am very happy with the improvements.

• AVR: Onkyo TX RZ840 (5.1.2 ATMOS configuration)
  • Optoma UHD65 (HDR10 4K capable), screen 110", self calibrated using HCFR and a ColorMunki Display colorometer
  • Win10 HTPC (GTX1660), Shield, Harmony Hub and 4K STB
  • YouTube, Netflix, Plex and Prime Video

Previous to the Shield I was dissatisfied with the brightness level of HDR content with the projector. Sure YouTube HDR demos looked great but in general Netflix and Prime HDR was simply too dark. I had to jump through some annoying hoops to force my streaming services to 4K only because of that HDR darkness distracting too much from my viewing pleasure. After switching to the NV (2019) tube and applying the latest hotfix:

• HDR brightness was boosted on the UHD65 enough so that I don't force streaming services to 4K only
  • Having ATMOS on all my streaming services simplifies life (as Roku didn't support ATMOS on Netflix)
  • The AI up-scaling, even at a medium setting, is better than the gimmick I had expected
  • The AI implementation is far less intrusive than a 30Hz limit would indicate. It is working well with all my streaming apps. I thought I'd constantly need to see frame rate changes and use various remote toggles to initiate the feature.
  • The speed of playback has taken me by surprise as it seems almost instant compared to a 2017 Roku Ultra
  • In general the Shields picture quality is better. The Roku was not bad but I'm consistently noticing an improvement.

In the summer, before my recent ATMOS AVR/speaker upgrades, I purchased a 2017 Shield but the remote frequently disconnected and a few services were having issues. I ended up returning the unit as the upgrade from the Roku Ultra didn't justify the purchase price. When the 2019 Shields were announced I sat on the sidelines as I wanted to see how many bugs the new units had. They certainly have their share and their still ongoing.

What allowed me to give the Shield another try was reading that the Hotfix firmware successfully addressed the issues that were important to me but the tipping point was reading in this forum that the "no back out" Hotfix policy is a major certified firmware release only stipulation (e.g. 8.1.0). I confirmed that on the NVIDIA forum and jumped right in. Thanks for the info guys.
Very happy with the RZ840 running 7.1.4 after adding the Shield 2019 last week too!!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
It doesn’t work like that. First of all, we aren’t trying to change the Shield remote, we are trying to add functions to the Harmony remote. You can’t “map” these, they need to be in the Harmony profile database. The mapping app you have been linking is not very good and is intended to link to existing Shield buttons. What we are trying to do is to designate free (unused) buttons to perform these commands. The ATV4K was like this for a while until Logitech added them. Logitech has already stated they are working on support for the 2019 Shield so it’s just a question of time.
I understand the difference, my point was just that you could probably do it now. If you are just looking for a couple of the new commands. Maybe I am just less hopeful that Logitech will add these commands. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I understand the difference, my point was just that you could probably do it now. If you are just looking for a couple of the new commands. Maybe I am just less hopeful that Logitech will add these commands. We'll see.

How would I add multiple new Shield Bluetooth commands on the Harmony Elite? I understand remapping existing Shield buttons but not Harmony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
How would I add multiple new Shield Bluetooth commands on the Harmony Elite? I understand remapping existing Shield buttons but not Harmony.

Sorry man, is there a way to re mapp the buttons ofbthe shield remote without external third party button remap app??

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Sorry man, is there a way to re mapp the buttons ofbthe shield remote without external third party button remap app??

Not that I know of except for that remote customization option in Settings.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

You can set any button on the harmony remote to any command available on the Shield. So in theory if you could remap "1" to "Match Refresh Rate" then you could have "Match Refresh Rate" on whatever button you wanted on the Harmony Remote. I have not messed with the remapping app (third party one) much so I am not sure how much flexibility is there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Still can’t find DV. Whats the hot-fix is it downloadable? Thanks

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
You can set any button on the harmony remote to any command available on the Shield. So in theory if you could remap "1" to "Match Refresh Rate" then you could have "Match Refresh Rate" on whatever button you wanted on the Harmony Remote. I have not messed with the remapping app (third party one) much so I am not sure how much flexibility is there.
I’m not going to debate this much further because you’re not understanding what we are trying to do but your example is just one command. That is there by default (Menu=whatever button is set in Remote/Customized settings). I can’t simultaneously set 2 to Netflix and 3 to AI for example. All those commands are what we are after and they will be available.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I’m not going to debate this much further because you’re not understanding what we are trying to do but your example is just one command. That is there by default (Menu=whatever button is set in Remote/Customized settings). I can’t simultaneously set 2 to Netflix and 3 to AI for example. All those commands are what we are after and they will be available.

Wasn't trying to debate and I understand exactly what your wanting to do. My point was if you can map commands to numbers or other unused buttons then you can add them to the harmony remote.

1581 - 1600 of 5004 Posts