AVS Forum banner

Nvidia Shield TV 2019

2M views 20K replies 956 participants last post by  KingNothing81 
#1 · (Edited)
NVIDIA Shield Android TV set-top box Tegra X1+ (2019)

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield.../dp/B07YP9FBMM

Ships end of the month. Hopefully the dongle comes next!

• The Best of the Best. Up to 25% faster than the previous generation thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3.0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, SmartThings hub-ready, AAA Android gaming, Twitch broadcasting, 3GB RAM, and 16GB storage.
  • Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.
  • Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, Plex Media Server, and premium Android gaming. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
  • Unlimited Entertainment. Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix,YouTube, Prime Video and Hulu. Listen from the most comprehensive collection of music services, including Amazon Music and Spotify. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today’s most popular games like Fortnite. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.
  • Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using only your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Amazon Echo.

edit: Amazon pulled the listing. Some screens here https://www.androidcentral.com/nvid...nounced-shield-refresh-goes-live-early-amazon

edit2: New dongle just leaked on newegg. https://www.newegg.ca/black-nvidia-...ld&cm_re=nvidia_shield-_-15-351-018-_-Product

Pro Model:

Smaller dongle model:

See less See more
#5,461 ·
In my experience, it's always a Prime Video App problem. Always. Every 'update' (sometimes a few daily) fixes one issue and generates four others. Their apps don't even work all that well on their own hardware - some days you get Atmos, other days you don't. Some days you get DolbyVision, other days you don't, all from the same content.

The incompetence of those coding that app is world-class. And it's not any better on other hardware.

I think Amazon considers it a throwaway freebie once you've paid for Prime and its free shipping, and treats it accordingly.
Thanks for letting me know. Sucks that I can get it to work on a HTPC but my latest build with a 1660 ti on a PCIe 2.0 did not work very well so I kept the shield. When it works it looks pretty good but I wish I had the ability to use a browser to access the content through the shield.

#5,462 ·
Guys I need help. This device is driving me crazy. When I try to watch Prime Video half of the content tells me "Something went wrong. Please try again later. For more help, go to amazon.com/videohelp shield." I can't find any answers there.

This problem is very intermittent but it has been consistent over the past 2 days. I am not sure if it is a shield or a Prime Video problem

Also, I have exeriencing some drop-offs where the TV goes blank for a second or two. This happens very infrequently but enough to be troubling. I really wish I could get this to work more consistently so I would stop thinking about assembling a HTPC.
Your drop offs are a HDMI handshake issue. You have a weak link in the HDMI chain. It could be as simple as reseating the HDMI cables to either an AVR w/weak HDMI ports or a not up to standard HDMI cable.

#5,463 ·
CEC is trash. ...

I expect HDMI 2.1, where every manufacturer is free to implement as much or as little of the spec as they feel like doing, to become more or less the same sort of debacle.
I couldn't agree more. Marketing groups in consumer AV products companies gone wild.
The Harmony remote people lovit though ;-)
If you are someone that has your AV system working with CEC, don't change a thing. You have been warned!

I was hoping HDMI 2.1 would be better, at least more tightly defined. I guess we hope for 2.2...

#5,464 ·
I think Amazon considers it a throwaway freebie once you've paid for Prime and its free shipping, and treats it accordingly.
I had the opposite experience when I upgraded to Amazon Music HD: had all kinds of issues especially with favorites and playlists: when I cancelled the HD service and went back to the free Prime offering, it worked perfectly
go figure...

#5,465 ·
Guys I need help. This device is driving me crazy. When I try to watch Prime Video half of the content tells me "Something went wrong. Please try again later. For more help, go to amazon.com/videohelp shield." I can't find any answers there.

This problem is very intermittent but it has been consistent over the past 2 days. I am not sure if it is a shield or a Prime Video problem

Also, I have exeriencing some drop-offs where the TV goes blank for a second or two. This happens very infrequently but enough to be troubling. I really wish I could get this to work more consistently so I would stop thinking about assembling a HTPC.
It's NOT the Shield and you aren't alone. Amazon Prime app developers are just bad at their job.
Go to Settings/Apps. Delete the cache and data for the Amazon Prime app. then uninstall and reinstall. It usually cures it for me until the next update.
As for drop outs it's either your network or you need a new HDMI cable, the best to get is Monoprice Premium Certified cables which are also some of the cheapest (which shows what a rip off the whole cable business is - don't get me started on hi-fi cables!).

#5,466 ·
That's a 1080p video with a bitrate of about 13mb/s so yeah...not even super compressed. nVidia assures me it's the video's fault, even though it happens with other videos and the noise goes away when turning off upscaling. My last resort is a factory reset but I really don't want to lose everything on something that may or may not fix it.
What detail level do you have set with AI upscaling? I've found even the (recommended) medium setting does way more harm than good adding too much edge enhancement and softening fine detail. The low detail setting seems to work VERY well in my system. Occasionally I'll switch to 1080p output and have my TV upscale the picture. But AI with Low detail is my default sweet spot.

Have you updated to the latest version. An update was released a few days ago.

#5,467 ·
It's NOT the Shield and you aren't alone. Amazon Prime app developers are just bad at their job.
Go to Settings/Apps. Delete the cache and data for the Amazon Prime app. then uninstall and reinstall. It usually cures it for me until the next update.
As for drop outs it's either your network or you need a new HDMI cable, the best to get is Monoprice Premium Certified cables which are also some of the cheapest (which shows what a rip off the whole cable business is - don't get me started on hi-fi cables!).
Thanks for your suggestion m-a-r-k. I will try that. I actually do use the monoprice premium cables, I will check if they are seated correctly.
Have you updated to the latest version. An update was released a few days ago.
As far as the amazon app, I have not uninstalled it because this is the second shield I have and the first one would not let me reinstall the app. I could not find it on the app store. So I just want to make sure I do it correctly. I will do as m-a-r-k suggests but do I have to sideload the prime app or will it show in the Play Store?

Lastly, I asked about it in the AV distro forum but got no response. Does anyone have a suggestion for an HDMI splitter so I can run audio to the receiver and video to the tv? I am considering these:

#5,468 ·
As far as the amazon app, I have not uninstalled it because this is the second shield I have and the first one would not let me reinstall the app. I could not find it on the app store. So I just want to make sure I do it correctly. I will do as m-a-r-k suggests but do I have to sideload the prime app or will it show in the Play Store?

Lastly, I asked about it in the AV distro forum but got no response. Does anyone have a suggestion for an HDMI splitter so I can run audio to the receiver and video to the tv? I am considering these:
The app is called "Prime Video". They removed 'Amazon' from the name probably a year ago or so. It is available in Google Play, no need to side load. When I asked if you had updated it previously I was referring to the Prime Video app, not your Shield. They released an updated version of the 'Prime Video' app late last week. You may want to install that to see if it resolves your issues.

I don't have experience with any HDMI splitters. However I do offer one suggestion. Figure out what is causing your audio dropouts before introducing an HDMI splitter into the mix.

Why do you want to split the audio and video signals? Does your receiver not support HDR?

#5,469 ·
The app is called "Prime Video". They removed 'Amazon' from the name probably a year ago or so. It is available in Google Play, no need to side load. When I asked if you had updated it previously I was referring to the Prime Video app, not your Shield. They released an updated version of the 'Prime Video' app late last week. You may want to install that to see if it resolves your issues.

I don't have experience with any HDMI splitters. However I do offer one suggestion. Figure out what is causing your audio dropouts before introducing an HDMI splitter into the mix.

Why do you want to split the audio and video signals? Does your receiver not support HDR?
Understood. I will try this out and report back. I am using splitters because I want to be able to run the video direct from the source and split off the audio to the receiver. The Denon x4400h does support HDR but i have read of issues causing drop outs, including the handshake. So if I go direct I can resolve that problem. I can then also use the AVR signal through the arc connection, so I can have the best of both worlds.

Also by separating the avr from the video signal, I can adjust the audio without seeing a display in the image. I can't figure how to have the denon not display graphics when I change things like channel levels. I can also route different things to different places and play varying visual and audio sources more easily.

BUT that is assuming that the splitters will work well and are reliable without introducing problems. I don;'t know if that is realistic to expect these days.

#5,470 ·
CEC is such an ad-hoc control mechanism! Harmony does everything I need and CEC is disabled on all my gear.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Isn't HDMI ARC a subset of HDMI CEC? So if I have CEC disabled, wouldn't it also disable ARC?
Do you use ARC for TV apps, or OTA TV tuners?
I connect all my HDMI inputs to the TV first and ARC to the sound bar.
I have CEC enabled because it insures any remote I pick up will control the other devices.
The Harmony remotes have an ugly hub thing that has a wired power connection. Why didn't they make the harmony remotes with the bluetooth and IR (and Wifi) all in the actual remote, and forget the hub?

#5,471 ·
The only time I use ARC is for my Xbox One X, but CEC controls are all disabled on all of my devices because I have a Harmony Remote.

#5,472 ·
Thanks for your suggestion m-a-r-k. I will try that. I actually do use the monoprice premium cables, I will check if they are seated correctly.
Actually last night Prime video app was only outputting in stereo even though I knew it should be DD+.
Force Stopping the app and deleting the cache was sufficient to get it to send the correct audio again, so you could try that (and deleting the data) first without uninstalling the app and see how you go.

#5,475 ·
I think it is the other way round. On my TV I enable ARC separate from CEC. I have CEC off on my TV & peripherals.
Some devices won't process the ARC signal unless CEC is enabled. My old AV processor worked this way.

#5,477 ·
  • 1-Touch Play (Roku)
  • Anynet+ (Samsung)
  • Aquos Link (Sharp)
  • BRAVIA Link, BRAVIA Sync, Control for HDMI (Sony)
  • CE-Link, Regza Link (Toshiba)
  • E-link (AOC)
  • EasyLink (Philips)
  • Fun-Link (Funai, Sylvania, Emerson, Magnavox, Philips)

#5,478 ·
After this last update I lost access to both my Shields over my local network. I have spent hours troubleshooting with no luck. I can still access my PC plex server and from within the Shield with the Plex app but the Shield is inaccessible on my local network. And I do have the Plex server running on the Shield even though I don't use it. I have the original 2015 Shield and the new Pro. I even tried a factory reset on the Pro to no avail.
I had the same issue with my Dune Media server. My PC with windows 10 wouldn't find it after I had to reinstall windows. I searched can't see Dune on PC with no results. I then figured the Dune is basically a NAS so I searched connect NAS to Windows 10 and found these directions which worked.

Apparently Windows made some updates in latest version that messes up connecting to NAS's

1. open (run) command prompt as admin then copy past the following commands in order.

2. netsh winsock reset

3. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

4. sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

5. Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP

6. Edit your Hosts file located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, add the IP address of your NAS Drive (Shield) and its name
This entry would look something like this:

192.168.1.107 Nvidia Shield

#5,479 ·
Must be something magic with my systems. CEC has almost always worked perfectly for me. My only issue was several years ago with a Samsung BD player that would turn my bedroom TV on in the middle of the night. And it was a Samsung TV, so there's shouldn't have been issues between them. Put a Sony BD player in its place and never had a problem since. CEC has worked just fine with my two Shields, multiple Roku players and Yamaha AVRs. TVs are Samsung and LG.

#5,480 ·
I had the same issue with my Dune Media server. My PC with windows 10 wouldn't find it after I had to reinstall windows. I searched can't see Dune on PC with no results. I then figured the Dune is basically a NAS so I searched connect NAS to Windows 10 and found these directions which worked.

Apparently Windows made some updates in latest version that messes up connecting to NAS's

1. open (run) command prompt as admin then copy past the following commands in order.

2. netsh winsock reset

3. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

4. sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

5. Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP

6. Edit your Hosts file located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, add the IP address of your NAS Drive (Shield) and its name
This entry would look something like this:

192.168.1.107 Nvidia Shield
Don’t do **** like this ... you are enabling SMBv1 which makes you vulnerable to so much ransomware out there.
There is a reason it is disabled by default.

Get yourself some proper hardware which uses SMBv2 or 3