AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to an 8200 based motherboard, and loaded up the latest nvidia driver.

Well with the latest driver I'm getting expanded black levels in VMC, and completely crushed black levels in cyberlink.

Anybody know a good solution?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Sotti,

you're not the only one with this problem. I've had this since I change my card to a 9600 and consequently, had to change forceware drivers (went from 163.75 where everything was correct with my old video card to 175.xx with the 9600). Since I can't go back to 163.75, I've had to play with contrast and brightness settings in video level part of the forceware control panel and it did fix things in powerdvd. But Vista media center video levels are expanded doing that (can't get black). Don't really care about VMC since I mostly watch HI-def movies in powerdvd.

But even with that fix, I have the impressions that the image is darker than before (8600 on 163.75) or not totally corect. I just can't figure why this is so freaking hard for Nvidia to get something as basic as that feature to work, Damn it. This is on vista 32 with sp1.

Really thinking about changing to a 4850 from ATI and will probably do that in the end!

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
This problem seems to affect a small group of people. Unfortunately, Nvidia can't fix this problem until they can actually reproduce it. I can't reproduce this problem either; at least under Vista32.

Both my 8500GT and 8800GT with the latest drivers look exactly correct. I cant really tell the difference between my Sony Playstation and PowerDVD 8 when playing blu-ray discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/14236054

I just switched to an 8200 based motherboard, and loaded up the latest nvidia driver.

Well with the latest driver I'm getting expanded black levels in VMC, and completely crushed black levels in cyberlink.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/14236054

What version PowerDVD and are you playing HDDVD discs?

For HDDVD in PowerDVD7, you need to import this registry setting.

Code:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\CyberLink\\PowerDVD\\HDDVD]
"COLORSPACE_OPTION"=dword:00000001
I have had no problems with colorspace issues with 2 Nvidia cards in XPMCE. 8800GTX and 8500GT with 175.80 drivers.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mulder /forum/post/14238026

Hi Sotti,

you're not the only one with this problem. I've had this since I change my card to a 9600 and consequently, had to change forceware drivers (went from 163.75 where everything was correct with my old video card to 175.xx with the 9600). Since I can't go back to 163.75, I've had to play with contrast and brightness settings in video level part of the forceware control panel and it did fix things in powerdvd. But Vista media center video levels are expanded doing that (can't get black). Don't really care about VMC since I mostly watch HI-def movies in powerdvd.

But even with that fix, I have the impressions that the image is darker than before (8600 on 163.75) or not totally corect. I just can't figure why this is so freaking hard for Nvidia to get something as basic as that feature to work, Damn it. This is on vista 32 with sp1.

Really thinking about changing to a 4850 from ATI and will probably do that in the end!

The same thing happens on my desktop (8800GTS 512MB) and laptop (8400GS). I primarily use VMC, and when I calibrate video settings in the Nvidia control panel for VMC (for my desktop, Brightness 43%, Contrast 57%, Saturation 59%), Windows Media Player is totally crushed.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/14238134

This problem seems to affect a small group of people. Unfortunately, Nvidia can't fix this problem until they can actually reproduce it. I can't reproduce this problem either; at least under Vista32.

In fact the problem is general with VMC/Vista 32 SP1, and every driver version above 163.75. You get compressed levesl in VMC and expanded otherwise. With last version I tried (175.19) I get correct video levels for every video application except VMC (double compression!
) It's definitely a bug with Nvidia drivers and VMC in Vista SP1 that needs to be fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts