AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NVIDIA's 3DTV Play finally solves the HDMI 1.4 gap for 3D Vision

Quote:
SANTA CLARA, CaliforniaMarch 15, 2010NVIDIA today announced NVIDIA® 3DTV Play, its latest software solution that allows consumers to connect their GeForce® GPU-powered desktop or notebook computer to new 3D TVs, for the ultimate in big screen 3D gaming action. For the launch of 3DTV Play, NVIDIA is teaming up with Panasonic on its coast-to-coast 2010 Panasonic Touch the Future Tour, where consumers can test drive 3DTV Play-based PCs running on the new Panasonic® VIERA® Full HD 3D TVs, that just launched this month.

3DTV Play software lets you connect any compatible NVIDIA GeForce GPU-powered PC or notebook to 3D TVs for the ultimate, high-definition, big-screen, 3D entertainment experience. By leveraging the processing power of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs, 3DTV Play software delivers the best the PC has to offer: play hundreds of standard PC games in stunning 3D environments such as World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and James Cameron's Avatar: The Game. You can also watch upcoming Blu-ray 3D Hollywood blockbusters, view digital 3D photographs, and even watch streaming 3D movies for the ultimate viewing party. The active-shutter glasses bundled with each VIERA full HD 3D TV sold work seamlessly with NVIDIA GPUs and off-the-shelf PC gaming titles and other 3D entertainment content.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1268635315649.html

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dean /forum/post/18360767

Wow, this sounds neat Lee. Thank for posting the link!

All the 3D news that's fit to post!
My pleasure. Glad you are looking forward to it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
OK, I see one can purchase a ASUS G51J3D 15 inch laptop equipped with NVIDA GeForce GTX 260 M GPU. If I just add NVIDA 3DTVPlay software am I going to be able to view in 3D the photos taken by the Fuji Finepix W1 3D Digital camera on the Panasonic 3D Plasma TVs currently being marketed? (The camera captures 3D still photos in MPO 3D File format [multiple picture format]) It also takes up to 15 minutes of video [which is in 3D_AV1 format) and I'm curious if that too can be seen in 3D on the 3D TV through this routing?

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18416862

I dont think it will be able to output 3D to another display.

I thought that was the whole purpose of adding the 3DTVPlay software. Is there something about this particular configuration that is limiting, i.e. absence of an HDMI port or other connectivity output on the laptop itself?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK the sole objective of this verson is to be able to use a 3D Full HD BR player program such as PowerDVD 10 ultra and send the contents using the 2 frame packed buffer format to a 3D HDTV's HDMI 1.4 receiver chip. In other words this verson acts like a 3D BR player.

The standard version of Nvidia 3D is to be used for all other purposes just as it is used today.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18416862

I dont think it will be able to output 3D to another display.

I would think the exact oppsite since in the press release paragraph 2 states "veiw digital photographs."

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18417994

I was replying to the laptop question, not about the software.

I kind of think that is the whole point.

3DTV Play-based PCs running on the new Panasonic® VIERA® Full HD 3D TVs

How can it run on the TV without sending the info to it?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Well the laptop will play the 3D content as its 3D ready but who knows if it will be able to output to a second display 3D as well.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/18414942

OK, I see one can purchase a ASUS G51J3D 15 inch laptop equipped with NVIDA GeForce GTX 260 M GPU. If I just add NVIDA 3DTVPlay software am I going to be able to view in 3D the photos taken by the Fuji Finepix W1 3D Digital camera on the Panasonic 3D Plasma TVs currently being marketed? (The camera captures 3D still photos in MPO 3D File format [multiple picture format]) It also takes up to 15 minutes of video [which is in 3D_AV1 format) and I'm curious if that too can be seen in 3D on the 3D TV through this routing?

Since previously posting this I have confirmed that the Asus G51J3D has a 120 Hz display which itself is limited to 1,366 x 768 and measures 15.6 inches. It comes equipped with NIVIDIA's 3D Vision, glasses and IR emitter. Apparently the GeForce GTX is 160M, not 260M on the 3-D version of this laptop. Importantly it does have HDMI output which I would assume is used to connect to one of the new 3D TVS. Per the specs, this laptop "Connects to TVs if have 120 Hz or 240 Hz LCD TV." [I assume would also connect to Plasma as well.]

Question. The drive is specified as Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Drive, but no reference made to Blu-ray. Again, I am assuming that with a software upgrade this drive will be able to play 3d Blu-ray discs and their content will be visible in 3D both on the laptops monitor as well as on the screen of a connected 3D TV???

In summary, if one were to acquire this laptop would there be any need to purchase a 3D Blu-ray player to get full use out of one's 3D TV?

(By the way price is $1,569 on Amazon.)

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/18450033

Since previously posting this I have confirmed that the Asus G51J3D has a 120 Hz display which itself is limited to 1,366 x 768 and measures 15.6 inches. It comes equipped with NIVIDIA's 3D Vision, glasses and IR emitter. Apparently the GeForce GTX is 160M, not 260M on the 3-D version of this laptop. Importantly it does have HDMI output which I would assume is used to connect to one of the new 3D TVS. Per the specs, this laptop "Connects to TVs if have 120 Hz or 240 Hz LCD TV." [I assume would also connect to Plasma as well.]

Question. The drive is specified as Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Drive, but no reference made to Blu-ray. Again, I am assuming that with a software upgrade this drive will be able to play 3d Blu-ray discs and their content will be visible in 3D both on the laptops monitor as well as on the screen of a connected 3D TV???

In summary, if one were to acquire this laptop would there be any need to purchase a 3D Blu-ray player to get full use out of one's 3D TV?

(By the way price is $1,569 on Amazon.)

I forgot to add an additional question. Will getting this laptop easily facilitate being able to add the 2D to 3D feature that otherwise only comes with the Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba 3D TVs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a question, a lot actually, but I'll ask one for now. Say I go out and buy a new Samsung c8000 series TV today, and upgrade my PC to one that is capable of Nvidia 3D vision as well then with this software (assuming I understand correctly) could I use the 3D glasses Samsung offers in their starter kit to benefit from the Nvidia 3D vision?

I intended to get a 3DTV this summer and upgrade my PC to one that will let me play games in 3D but as of this moment I have a lot questions I need answers to so I can then establish a budget and whether or not my plans will be plausible.

EDIT - I knew there was something I was forgetting. I read the following on the Nvidia page linked in the first post, which says "Enables 1080p24, 720p60, and 720p50 3D formats" Does this mean then that no matter what I do on my PC in terms of 3D I am strictly limited to those resolutions? Or am I wrong, I mean if I want to play a game like Batman: Arkham Asylum say in 1080p60 or possibly even 1080p120 could I? I mean what exactly is meant by that quote? Maybe I am slightly confused, I know the number 24 in 1080p24 refers to hertz or the refresh rate of the screen, right? That isn't the same as in game FPS (frames per second), right? Would that 24 hertz refresh rate have any impact on performance?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seems that at the moment the mandatory 3D specifications from HDMI1.4a are:

-For movie content:

o Frame Packing

1080p @ 23.98/24Hz

-For game content:

o Frame Packing

720p @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz

-For broadcast content: (NEW IN HDMI 1.4a)

o Side-by-Side Horizontal

1080i @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz

o Top-and-Bottom

720p @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz

1080p @ 23.97/24Hz

One of the OPTIONAL specifications is:

1080p @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz !!! most important for S3D PC gaming, how can this not be mandatory !!!

So it will depend on the 3D TV and the nvidia 3DPlay software if they support that format and if you have an AVR that must support it too. So basically every device in the HDMI chain.

If not you will need to play @ 720p or 1080i, so your TV has to upscale or de-interlace.

Ofcourse you will still be able to play monoscopic at 1080p @ 50/60Hz, but S3D remains a question.

To answer your question, the output Hz is in fact the fps you send out to your TV. You can have 85fps in game that is rendered by your PC, but you will only send 60 or 50 frames out for a one second footage. This is also what is causing screentearing, because timing of the rendered frames is not in sync with the timing your PC needs to send a frame to your TV.

However gaming at 24Hz is actually seeing 24fps on your TV and is impossible to play.

·
Registered
116 Posts
arg! no 1080p 3d gaming on nvidia cards -only 720p!! looks like ill skip this generation of tv's. what were they thinking...

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJoy /forum/post/18469163

arg! no 1080p 3d gaming on nvidia cards -only 720p!! looks like ill skip this generation of tv's. what were they thinking...

Limitation of the TVs not Nvidia's limitation. 3dTVPlay is for gaming and movies on HDMI TVs. 3dVision if for gaming on the smaller LCD monitors and on the supported projectors and DLPS. 3dTVPlay will not work on the checkerboard DLPs.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/18414942

The samsung 3D tvs play video from usb devices and can do them in 3D. The TVs have a media player built in. Much better choice for watching 3D than a laptop.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJoy /forum/post/18469163

It's heartbreaking isn't it..

Painfully obvious: We want [email protected] capabilities on 40"+ screen sizes to play 3D games on for an incredible gaming experience..

What do we get? Everyone involved in the industry pissing in our face.. as usual.

Edit - Oh of course you can spend a crazy amount of money on a 22" LCD monitor that supports 120hz input (Every panel made in the last 2-3 years is capable of this - only the inputs aren't)..

22"... Yay mediocrity!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts