AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to publicly thank aw_avphile. I don't know who you are but you helped me save over $550.00

In one of the thread regarding AC line conditioner you wrote:

"A good surge protector/noise filter like the $40 ones from Panamax. Anything more is usually snake oil and black magic. Most noise problems in audio systems are caused by ground loops which are NOT solved by any power line conditioners as they all pass the ground straight through.

Some filters may be useful in getting rid of light dimmer buzz and that sort of thing, but again, a $40 Panamax is usually just as effective as a $500 box from Monster Cable. "

I had a persistent noise problem with my speakers. I was so annoyed. My dealer advised me I need a line conditioner. He pushed for of those Monster boxes for $600.00. Price was stiff, but I figured I had invested lots of money in my equipment. Five percent more is not that bad to make my system perfect. I bought it and solved the problem. Happy.

And then I read your post. I couldn't wait a few days to order a Panamax so I went to Radio Shack and bought one - I think a similar one - for $40.00. Guess what? It got the same result as the Monster thing. I did not do a blind test, but I didn't need one to know they are the same in solving my problem (Also, blind tests are for proving one is different than another. When I want to prove two things are the same I need my glasses).

Of course I returned the Monster box, got back my money. Happier.

My appreciation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't get the Panamax. I tried the Radi shack version at $40.00 and it cured my problem. I simply stopped at that.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Riverplace
I didn't get the Panamax. I tried the Radi shack version at $40.00 and it cured my problem. I simply stopped at that.
The last time I looked virtually everything RS sells has a 90 day warranty. The Panamax will have a lifetime warranty, which I think is worth a few extra dollars.

Dsmith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.