AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
The author managed to squeeze pretty darn complicated subj into a brief article w/o distorting the truth too much.

It is funny, that either the author or one of the interviewees actually investigated if Betamax ruling is applicable to HDTV situation. In a word, they say no.

We will have to see about that http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Actually the quote is from an MPAA lawyer. Of course he would say that! What else would you expect him to say? I wouldn't lend any credence to that statement.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
There's one absolutely gross inaccuracy in this article, though, which is the claim that a movie that the studio says can be recorded would go from the set to the TV via 1394, while ones not to be recorded would go via DVI.

Obviously, that's simply wrong. All the programming would go out both ports of the STB. The DVI would never be recordable, of course, since it's a display connection. The 1394 would be recordable or not, depending upon the flags in the content.

This misstatement seems related to an apparent misperception by the writer that televisions would necessarily have both types of inputs (which I doubt strongly).

They did at least manage to get the information in that DirecTV is encouraging both types of ports, as is Cable Labs. I believe that Echostar will follow that path as well, based upon their comments in the media.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.