AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in Brooklyn this weekend and wanted to know if there were any good stores with nice setups to scout LCDs with different viewing modes (regular DVD's, high-end DVD's, digital cable, satellite, etc). Mostly interested in the Sony LCD and DLP models. If the places that sell in NYC are just the same CC and BB setups I see in the suburbs, forget it. I'm talking nice lighting, good digital feeds, audio, etc. I can get the regular experience from the mall so I don't want to waste my time in NYC traffic going to see the same thing I can see everyday in Joisey.

I'll be in Brooklyn near Metropolitan Ave. I guess I could scoot over into Manhattan if there are no decent stores in Brooklyn. Let me know; the only place I know of is 6th Avenue and I'm not sure they're open on Saturday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Metropolitan and what?

In downtown brooklyn (atlantic mall area) you have a CC and a PC Richards to view.

The CC there has a nice group of RPLCD's and DLP's when i was last there shopping and the PC Richards is a little small but its something.

If you head into Manhattan there is a good CC and PC Richards at 14th street Union Square (again across the street from each other) and these are some of the better non high end stores for viewing.

On 23rd there is a big Best Buy and downtown is JandR.

Also i would be remiss if i did not mention the Gateway store at Union Square on 18th Street and Park Ave South, and the various Bang and Olafsons throughout the City including a one close to the flatiron district.

I went shopping New Years did some Pricematching and bought my 50' GWIII from PC Richards at 14th street. It is supposedly arriving on the 25th.

FYI i live in Bushwick on Dekalb and Bushwick so i took the B39 bus to head to the Atlantic shopping area then took the train to JandR and finally went to 14th street to conclude the purchasing, and wheeling and dealing tour de force.

Wound up paying SIGNIFICANTLY less than MSRP.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks!

Are there any high-end independent stores worth checking out?

And among the chains, who do you find has the best prices -- BB, CC, or PCR? I am leaning against BB since they don't carry the Sony LCD's anymore and their return policy and cust. svce on this board has been sorely lacking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out Harvey and Bang and Olafsun in Manhattan

I think Harveys is especially nice.

2 West 45th Street

Between 5th and 6th Avenues

Oh and sorry for the rehash of the standard spots i didnt read your post thoroughly Harvey is definately worth the look and Bang and Olafson is an interesting spot but wont have the standard eq you are looking at where harveys will.

The Bang & Olufsen Store Manhattan

927 Broadway at 21st Street

New York, NY 10003

(212)388-9792

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Relampago
Check out Harvey and Bang and Olafsun in Manhattan

I think Harveys is especially nice.

2 West 45th Street

Between 5th and 6th Avenues

Oh and sorry for the rehash of the standard spots i didnt read your post thoroughly Harvey is definately worth the look and Bang and Olafson is an interesting spot but wont have the standard eq you are looking at where harveys will.

The Bang & Olufsen Store Manhattan

927 Broadway at 21st Street

New York, NY 10003

(212)388-9792
The Harvey store is right near where I work.

I didn't see any GWIIIs there last time I went.

Another thing about the place I didn't like was the TVs were all poorly setup. The pictures on practically all of them were out of focus and horrible. If I went in there cold without knowing anything about HDTV, I would wonder what the big deal was.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I personally have never been remotely impressed with the setup of the TVs in the Sony Style store. PCR is a complete joke.

My personal opinion is that Harvey is the best of a weak lot. You really need to get lucky there and find a knowledgable sales associate there. They are few and far between. But I was in there last week and thought the sets (other than the DLPs) were set up pretty well.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Maybe it's a false impression but I get the sense that there are more "expert" stores and professionally set-up displays out West/California than over here. I know the techies and Silicon Valley types are a stronger market out there though the price drops are stimulating demand everywhere, including the NYC metro area.

I'll try and check out some places tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Lord, our stores suck too. Not as bad as PC Richards -- the Union Square store being the most offensive TV-buying "exercise" I've ever experienced; not as arrogant as Harvey's -- what could be?... But our Fry's still have horrid setups. Our Good Guys' are still Misinformation Central...

We have a few gems (Magnolia Hi-fi in Palo Alto, for example), but even they are hardly approaching perfect

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.