AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that might have missed it, a group of people in the NYC area has been getting together to check out each other's HT setups. Last night was our 3rd such meeting. The first meeting we saw Peter Kang's out-of-the-box SIM HT200, the next meeting we saw Brian Paulson's tweaked to the hilt 10HT, and last night we saw Stephen Sands' uncallibrated G-11.

The resolution/screen door on the projector was amazing. From a foot away from his (8 ft wide?) screen, I could *still* only see pixels if there was a field of white... I missed the HDTV demo yesterday, but I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty amazing. Overall, the images were extremely bright and vibrant.

On the down side, as people have stated, the G-11 out of the box is clearly sub-optimal. The colors often appeared washed out, and the black level detail did not blow you away. In fact, from our previous meeting, when we went directoy to Stephen's house from Brian's (10HT) house, it was hard to say whose projector had better contrast. (Brian used light filters, among other things, to greatly boost the 10HT's contrast.) Also, we noticed the occasional scaler artificats in Toy Story, usually during fast movement. (I believe he was using a CI scaler.)

Stephen's theater itself, of course, was a whole other story. It was amazing. It was a Dennis Erskine design, and in case you've never seen what one can look like, check out The Escape . Now, no offense to ebr, but Stephen's place was even nicer than the Escape. Both me and Brian brought our wives, in the hopes that we could convince them that eating regularly over the next few months didn't have to be a priority... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Overall, a great time was had by all, *especially* by my little Avatar, who wasn't so interested in the theater, but *loved* their little girl's dollhouse!

Anyone else, feel free to chime in with comments, and hopefully soon, we'll start thinking about our next get together. And as my sig states, anyone else that's interested, send me e-mail!

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too attended the meeting at stephen's home last night, I would like to thank stephen for his hospitality. I really enjoyed getting the chance to see such an amazing theater, absolutely beautiful. As mike f. stated the picture was very good, but with calibration could help the contrast and colors. the hdtv demo was incredible, if only we had dvds in high-def then we could really get our moneys' worth out of our investments. It was also nice to meet the other members of the club, Hi guys, I will look into hosting one at my place, although it's slighty more modest than stephens', alright not even in the ballpark,but none the less enjoyable. I look forward to the next installment. mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
I want to thank Stephen for inviting us all over. His home theater design was great- I don't think I ever want to go to a movie theater again. I haven't seen too many projectors at this point but I was surprised how good an uncalibrated d-ila looked- I can only imagine how great a picture it would be calibrated. His hush box design made the projector noise free. Overall a great set up and thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on my theater. Its been a labor of love to get it to this point. As I keep telling my wife, its cheaper and less (only slightly)emotionally draining than a divorce.

Everyone has convinced me I need to calibrate my projector. The only question is if I wait to see how far the Dilard project goes. One way or another I'll do something my summer's end.

By the way, including spouses was fantastic. My wife actually came to watch a movie with me last night. She's finally getting into the spirit of things.

Brian, how was the racing?

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
61 Posts
The racetrack was incredibly thrilling. Going around turns at 70 MPH with the car in a controlled slide is amazing.

My wife was very impressed with the theater and the whole house. I don't know if I was able to convince her that we need HDTV. Soon, hopefully, she will see the light.

We'll have to see what Dilard can do, because I agree that the tweaked Sony 10HT looks fairly similar to the uncalibrated D-ILA. Given the raves on this board about what calibration can do to the picture, I think we can make the projector look even more incredible than it does now.

As for others that were there... Steve's theater is by far the most well-built of the demos I have been to. However, all of the demos have been very entertaining and informative. So, just because your theater may not be up to the same standards doesn't mean that we don't want to see it.

I think many of us would want to see the different ways that we conquered ambient light troubles and other issues that crop up from not having a perfectly designed theater. Also, we definitely love to see the different projectors and the different tweaks used to extract the best picture from them.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.