Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I tried searching for the answer to my question but was not able to find anything useful. I was hoping you guys can help out.

I picked up my Sharp Aquos LC-37GB5U this weekend. To my surprise the box fits perfectly in the back seat of my 2002 Altima with maybe 1 inch to spare woo hoo :D

Yesterday, I had time warner come and install cable tv with their Pioneer High-def box. They installed it using their component cables. I saw that it had a DVI output and I had a spare cable lying around. So I unplugged the component cables and inserted the DVI cable. Switched inputs and no picture no sound.

I have heard that the DVI output ports on these boxes are not active. Is this correct? If not is there anyway to utilize this port?

Thanks everyone,

Eric

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric05
I tried searching for the answer to my question but was not able to find anything useful. I was hoping you guys can help out.

Yesterday, I had time warner come and install cable tv with their Pioneer High-def box. They installed it using their component cables. I saw that it had a DVI output and I had a spare cable lying around. So I unplugged the component cables and inserted the DVI cable. Switched inputs and no picture no sound.

I have heard that the DVI output ports on these boxes are not active. Is this correct? If not is there anyway to utilize this port?
DVI is active on some boxes and not others, and in some areas and not others.

You'll have to at least identify exactly which TWC NYC HD box you have then go to one of the cable or DVR forums and ask the guys there. Or you could call your local TWC office and ask if your particular box has DVI activated in that particular area.

However tons of people complain that their DVI equipped cable boxes are having a hard time recognizing the HDMI input on the newer TVs and causing problems.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Isn't there some kind of workaround where you have the monitor on first, then turn on the cable box and it will work (after a few moments)?

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster
Isn't there some kind of workaround where you have the monitor on first, then turn on the cable box and it will work (after a few moments)?
Yes, but for some people even this method does not work. TWC blames the TV, and the TV maker blames TWC. It's almost always the TWC box though.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Eric,

The Pioneer that TWCNYC distributes (it's the 3510HD) should have DVI activated. It's an older box that they stopped distributing in favor of the Sci. Atlanta 3250 about six to nine months ago but now they appear to be back to the Pioneers for some reason. Are you connecting to the Sharp's DVI or to the Sharp's HDMI input? I know if you use the Sharp's DVI input, there are some settings you need to tweak to tell it you are using Video RGB.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
I'm having one of those "Twilight Zone" moments... I remember being in the "Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays" Forum but woke up and discovered it had become the "HDTV Recorders & Players" Forum!!! :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops apologies on my part for posting in the wrong forum guys. I think EricScott provide a lead that I am going to try and follow. Maybe there is some type of setting I need to use. I'll e-mail Sharp and see if they have a work around.

Thanks again guys have a good one,

-Eric

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
I'm having one of those "Twilight Zone" moments... I remember being in the "Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays" Forum but woke up and discovered it had become the "HDTV Recorders & Players" Forum!!! :eek:
At least he doesn't turn every thread he participates in into a CableCard thread like some of our plasma friends do :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You might be more pleased with the HDMI output??

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
What am I missing here? Or was this thread moved to this forum? Certainly seems to apply to this forum.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric05
Oops apologies on my part for posting in the wrong forum guys. I think EricScott provide a lead that I am going to try and follow. Maybe there is some type of setting I need to use. I'll e-mail Sharp and see if they have a work around.

Thanks again guys have a good one,

-Eric
So much for being facetious... but you will probably receive a lot more (and detailed) responses if you post this question in the "HDTV Recorders & Players" Forum.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
So much for being facetious... but you will probably receive a lot more (and detailed) responses if you post this question in the "HDTV Recorders & Players" Forum.
Uh, he's asking why his cable box doesn't work. I don't see anything about a Recorder or Player here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.