AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else in Manhattan noticed that the DTV channel guide now shows the channels in the 700 range? I don't know what date this actually happened since I was away for a week.

It seems to have opened up a couple of new functions as a result. Previously, you could not do channel up/down and had to punch in the channels you wanted. Now you can.

Previously, you could not see what was on these channels in one view unless you viewed those channels (or knew what was on their counterpart channels). Now you can view the guide and select the show, switching you directly to that channel. I haven't tried programming, but it would probably work.

Previously, you could not view the INFO or GUIDE while watching an HD station. Now, you can do both, BUT the minimized image does not show your program but rather some text that says something like "To view HD program, press EXIT button". It's annoying, but it's definitely more acceptable than the alternative methods I was using.

Can't wait to see what TWC does next. :) Hopefully, they'll get FOX, ABC, and WNET back up soon.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Yeah, I noticed. I accidently hit enter rather than exit, and my cable box froze up. Hat to manually power it down. At least they're trying

·
Registered
55 Posts
TWCNYC added the program guide, and channel surfing capability, about a month and a half ago. See this thread .

I talked to Bob Watson's assistant earlier this week. No plans for Discovery HD at this time. She said that the ABC, PBS restoration should be in 'a couple of weeks.'

·
Registered
983 Posts
where is my HD box!!! *rant* :)

any news when they are going to start sending them out? i assume we are still waiting for the new boxes.

(i've been on the list since feb)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Phil,

Is the "a couple of weeks" the same couple of weeks from a couple of weeks ago (meaning the stations will be avail. in the next week or so) or has the estimate been pushed back. There was a posting about 3-4 weeks ago that Bob Watson's assistant said ABC, Fox and PBS would be avail. in a couple of weeks. Just curious if there was a more definitive time frame.

Thanks for the post. I have my fingers crossed. I'd love to see the ABC line-up in HD.

-Brett

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zielin
where my HD box!!! *rant* :)

any news when they are going to start sending them out? i assume we are still waiting for the new boxes.

(i've been on the list since feb)
Apparently it doesn't hurt to be really nice when you call Bob Watson's office. My buddy called and spoke to Bob's assistant about 6 weeks ago, and she said something like "I'm in a good mood today. You're not supposed to get this yet, but we'll send it out next week." He got it on April 24th. He's absolutely psyched! But he got on the list in January, I believe.

Good luck!

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
625 Posts
What would be the prefered method of getting a new TWC account in NYC if I want a HD box? Should I call Bob Watson's office or the regular TWC number? Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I believe you need to be a TWC customer to get the HD boxes. If that is the case (someone, please confirm). Sign up for TWC through normal channels, then immediately call Bob Watson's office to get on the HD box list. If you call the customer service number for an HD box, you will get any number of random responses, but you will not get an HD box (except by dumb luck). You can probably call Bob Watson's office to confirm whether you need to be a customer to get on the HD list. Perhaps you can get this all taken care of in one service call instead of two.

Good luck.

-Brett

·
Registered
983 Posts
argh! new HD units are now being run by custumer care.. NOOOOO! just got off the phone with bob watson (really nice guy). He said that people that have been on the waiting list for ~4 months or longer would be getting a call.

I asked about PBS - it seems they already have a link to them and should be up "soon." Soon means after 13 puts up a low powered transmitter on the ESB.

ABC will be after PSB in the timetable (but still soon).

I wonder if PBS's option to go with a lower power transmitter for now will be a very fast process?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
NYC's TWC, I learned today, has set up a new number for HDTV queries/orders etc.: 718 670 0265. Bob Watson's assistant says they're no longer handling such HDTV matters. I'd set up a service call last week to have my 2000HD replaced with a 3100HD since reboots at times wouldn't fix freezeups. Service guy didn't even bring a HDTV converter and didn't know about 3100HDs. A CS rep at this new number says they're only sending out service folks specializing in HDTV. Also, only 3100HDs are going out now. Got an upgrade slated for next Thursday. Folks at local HDTV forum (Yahoo) say they were told upgrades would cost $20, although no one mentioned that to me. No real reason for an upgrade unless you need one. -- John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called tonight to schedule an upgrade -- my box was beginning to freeze up too often and reboots were no help -- and I was given and song a dance about not being able to upgrade/replace the 2000 with the 3100. Did anyone else have this problem? The rep finally agreed to send someone out to my apt on Tuesday -- when she thought she was scheduling a new HD installation my service date was June 26th, now she was even offering Monday. The tech is supposed to see what is wrong with my old box and replace if necessary. I will not be charged for this or at least that is what I was told. However, when she was booking the new installation she indicated that there was a $30 charge and then mentioned a $4.50 charge per month, anyone know about this? I have not been charged anything extra for my original HD box. Any comments are appreciated from those who have upgraded or dealt with the "new" TWC HD line.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I got the call tonight. 27th?!?! argh! i can't wait that long. I tried to get them just to leave the box for me @ the 23rd st office, but noooooo..... "this isn't a self install." I almost fought with the lady on the phone, but its not worth it. Hell, when the cable guy comes - like i'm going to let him touch my Home threater system :p

as a side note.. scifi sucks ass with thier low quality SG-1 PQ. damn, i have HD coming and no HD sg-1 (even with it being an upconvert - showtime)

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
As mentioned above, I'd already had a service call where I'd requested a 3100HD replacement. Naturally, I couldn't demonstrate the problems while the cable guy was visiting, and he didn't know about 3100HDs. They'd also 'reauthorized' my 2000HD via their computer before the visit.

No doubt others have similar freezeup and blank channels problems to what I've been getting. Often I switch to a HDTV channel and it's blank. Going UP/DOWN one channel, then back, sometimes fixes it. Other times it needs a reboot. But there's a point where hardware replacement--or satisfactory firmware downloads from TWC--becomes necessary for adequate service.

Judging from all the variations mentioned at the Yahoo group (charges, units available) at this new TWC HDTV section they're playing it by ear and setting policies as they go along. Don't think I should be charged for a satisfactory cable converter, but it is somewhat of a gray area.

WNET (PBS) on the air?

Has anyone actually tuned in digital images? As I mentioned in another thread on this supposed low-power test, I couldn't get any signal a week or so back and got nothing yesterday. I'm only ~9 blocks from the supposed transmitter site, so if WNET is broadcasting it must really be low power and/or brief tests. -- John

·
Registered
983 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.