AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great news for us Guitar Hero freaks!

http://ps3.qj.net/Nyko-PS3-Play-Adap...g/49/aid/79101

It's hard to break out a crowd-roaring riff, or shred your PS2 Guitar Hero controller on your PS3 when, in the first place, it can't. The lack of a PS3 "Home" button on the guitar means that a PS2 Guitar Hero won't load into the game, because pressing the PS button is part of the process of getting an old title to run. Which leaves one of two options:

Our shining ray of hope now lies in two notes: either someone creates some form of adapter that can activate the SG signals into the PS3 or they (meaning RedOctane, any other third-party manufacturer, or Sony themselves) come out with a PS3-specific guitar-controller.

Well, (lilting voice) Nyko comes to save the day! It's Mighty - er... with the PS3 Play Adapter. Because they wanted to be sure the CES 2007 press kit they got from Nyko was dang right, a Kotaku writer passed by the Nyko booth to make doubly - nay, triply sure. And the reps insisted: Nyko's. PS3 Play Adapter. Can. Be. Used. With. Guitar Hero. Controllers. There's a little toggle in the Adapter, they tell Kotaku, that "solves the current hardware and software issues" between the PS3 and PS2 hardware, such as the guitar controller. Presumably this also includes the PS button issue.

Only catch to this story: Nyko didn't have a demo unit to test out. So for now, all there is to go on is the word of Nyko representatives.

· Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM /forum/post/0

Whoo hoo. This can't come out soon enough.

Damn right!

Quote:
And hopefully by some miracle this will allow me to use the two guitars I already have with future Guitar Hero releases on the PS3.

I don't know why it wouldn't, as long as the new PS3 controller doesn't have more extra buttons than just the PS button.

· Registered
2,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeslam /forum/post/0

I don't know why it wouldn't, as long as the new PS3 controller doesn't have more extra buttons than just the PS button.

Didn't they do something with Guitar Hero 2 that prevented some 3rd party guitars from working without an adapter? I would hope they don't do anything similar with future versions on the PS3 but you never know.

If they do require a hardware upgrade hopefully there would be some new functionality added to any future guitars. I think just adding an open note would add enough extra difficulty for the super experts though. I can only get through about level 5 on expert myself.

· Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileypanda /forum/post/12899044

Does anyone know if this (or the previously released pelican adapter) will work with the 80gb PS3?

It really should. Maybe./

No adapter is currently fully functional with the PS3. Trust me. I've tried them all. If I remember correctly, the pelican does the best job, but you can't use the whammy bar. Other adapters have all kinds of weird issues.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this Nyko adapter. I've been through so many of these adapters that I'm not willing to count on this one yet. But there's no reason (other than licensing issues) why an adapter couldn't work. This would truly be life-changing. The next obstacle is seeing if this would in turn work with the PS3 version of GH3.

· Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileypanda /forum/post/12899044

Does anyone know if this (or the previously released pelican adapter) will work with the 80gb PS3?

It really should. Maybe./

The Pelican is garbage and I actually have it hooked up right now. It's not even a great adaptor if you're NOT playing GHI or II let alone trying to play one of the games.... It's sad that they even claim that their adapter is compatible with any version of guitar hero.

· Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/12901992

Remeber guys even with the adapters the ps3 adds significant lag to GH 1 and 2 GH2 has it's mostly adequate lag calibration but GH1 is likely going to be unplayable.

Ah, but so far no one's been able to do a good comparison yet since we haven't gotten any controllers working well enough.

On my set-up, GH1 has no measurable lag on the PS2 through my AVR (onkyo 605) and LCD TV (32" Aquos). Fully playable that way. GH2 has very minimal lag (~10ms). The PS2 version of GH3 also doesn't have any measurable lag through my equipment.

If we can ever get a reliable adapter, we can see if the same holds true for PS3 (with upscaling turned off, of course).

· Registered
5 Posts
I have read that it is not very good for Guitar Hero, but since I don't play Guitar Hero, I don't mind. It should, however, work perfectly with DDR dance pads and that is why I'm looking for it. At least I hope so. If you have one and don't want it, PM me.

· Registered
5,131 Posts
this all reminds me of how silly it is considering all we want to do is make a button do something in a game. I mean with ddr there's really only 4 buttons to play the game with and even then there's trouble on an advanced gaming system like PS3.

· Registered
2,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/12901992

Remeber guys even with the adapters the ps3 adds significant lag to GH 1 and 2 GH2 has it's mostly adequate lag calibration but GH1 is likely going to be unplayable.

Just fyi in the fighting arena the Pelican is the only adapter with no perceivable lag.

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/conver...verter-review/

But according to Jerz it doesn't seem to work well with GH's special functions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.