AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan for the entire run, but now that NYPD Blue is HD, I think it's wonderful. I caught last night's season-ender, and while I'm sure it's shot on film, it looked great. And the Dolby 5.1 surround was awesome, too. I've always liked Blue's score anyhow.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Yes, this is probably the best 720p show out there. It does look great.

Mike

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
yes it is outstanding looking and not bad content wise either not that we really care here ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I agree. It amazes me how some network HD shows look so much better than other HD shows. NYPD looks good and is still a great show.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Actually, my not being able to see 'Blue' at its' 10 pm slot (work) is one of the main reasons I've purchased a Samsung T 165. I recorded a few episodes from my Tosh stb to my JVC deck but had to downconvert to 480i to do so. The visual quality of this show warrants true hi-def recordings. I'm psyched for the new season. Now if only I could take delivery on the 165 before Oct. ...

·
Banned
539 Posts
This show would be great if we could get rid of the stupid camera work that looks like they were standing on the deck of a rocking boat. The guy who decided it looks real to have jerky camerawork should be taken out and shot.

·
Registered
19,016 Posts
Quote:
This show would be great if we could get rid of the stupid camera work that looks like they were standing on the deck of a rocking boat. The guy who decided it looks real to have jerky camerawork should be taken out and shot.
Nice post- 10yrs too late.:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've heard this complaint about the 'pre scene camera scan' a few times. I would hope that people are not avoiding watching Blue because of this. While there may be 4 or 5 per episode the duration of each is no longer than a few seconds. It is not part of the storyline unless a live action event is depicted. I equate the scan to being somewhere & taking a second to look around. Some things are familiar some are not, nevertheless things are going on everywhere.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I consider the shaky cam bit as the signature of NYPD Blue... I can't imagine watching the same show with steady pans and all that.

And, hell yes --> 11th Season premiere! Too much stuff to watch this fall season (even more tempting with all this HD content), that's for sure.. but NYPD will definitely be one of them. The only conflict though is with Nip/Tuck on FX (luckily they rerun that show plenty times).

·
Registered
362 Posts
IMO NYPD Blue looks better than any HD show out there, including both CSI's, NBC shows and Jay Leno are not even close.

BTW my Mits converts the 720p to 1080i.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
i don't find it a problem at all, now. but had to get use to it , maybe you are more sensitive to the style then most, i know at first i found it hard to watch..

But compared to the first run seasons of homicide nypd blue is rock solid..

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
hmmm Leno not even close? how do you mean looks better then. while nybd blue is great. i find leno to be a sharper picture which makes sense; even tho nypd blue look amazing and especially for a film transfer.

i am just curious because often when people comment on how programming looks in hd, or what looks best they are talking about the detail and sharpness. And in that case, i would not say nypd blue beats leno.

Or even the csi's across the broad. but csi does contain shots that don't fit the streo typical look of hd, and some people don't care for those parts; i love how all three shows look

but nypd blue is my favorite looking ota programing

·
Registered
362 Posts
I dont know how they tape jay leno, but i think it should look like as good as a show on hdnet like the Mark Cuban show as an example, but it doesn't, why doesn't it?

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
It's funny, because the camera used to move a lot more in the early episodes. In comparison, the recent episodes look almost rock solid. Even Law and Order uses a small amount of camera movement, as well.

·
Banned
539 Posts
The jerky camera movement didn't really bother me until I got a projector and watch it with 80" diagonal picture. On smaller TVs is was OK. This got me thinking that very few movies would have this much jumping in their movies because it would be too annoying. So in my opinion this is a "TV" type effect which should be retired.

Movies occasionally use this effect, Saving Private Ryan is a good example, but usually the percentage of screen time allocated to this jerky "real" look is a lot less than NYPD Blue. I just watched Cape Fear, which is a great movie directed by Martin Scorsese. The camera was rock steady for 95% of this movie, which I love because it allows me to explore the screen on my own.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I watched the District for the first time last week and it looked great. Definately better than CSI and Law and Order. I found it to be the best looking film based HD I've seen. I don't watch NYPD blue however (can't stand Denis Franz) so I can't compare.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.