AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting really bad. Must be nearly 20 minutes of commercials in a one hour show. And the networks wonder why ratings go down year after year...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I must admit that I had the same thought. I anxiously awaited the new season of NYPD Blue and watched it last night. I thought the picture, as usual, was great, and I enjoyed the story line. But the commercials! And why does ABC always show the same, lame public service announcements during Blue?

SMK

·
Registered
814 Posts
How can you guys watch this show with "Zack" as one of the main police characters. I'm sorry, every time i see him I see this goofy kid that's full of himself with his cheesy lines and keep waiting for screetch to show up. If i had spent considerable time trying to come up with the worst possible next role for Zack, i would have chosen the lead role for NYPD Blue. What are the odds?

Find a real police show like law and order.

Azanon

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hey I think John-Paul has done a good job in his role.

I did read that most networks were pushing the 20 minute per hour mark this year. I did notice that there was no commercial break after the opening credits as there ususlaly is on Blue so it is possible that they just shifted those commercials to later in the hour, making it seem worse than it really was.

As far as the show goes, I really liked the angle they took, skipping over the will he live or not drama and taking things up months later at the trial.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I commented at the time I thought there were more commercials. The networks wonder why PVRs are starting to dominate, even though we all lack a clean, simple way to record HD - the shows are being butchered and viewers will respond. With an HD-PVR the commercial issues will become moot and "they" have no one to blame but themselves.

I thought the season opener was right back at the same energy/chaos level. The audio was also, again, superb and maybe the best regular show making use of 5:1.

Staggering bass notes,

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
17,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RoyGBiv
And why does ABC always show the same, lame public service announcements during Blue?
There are probably only so many available that aren't intended for Saturday morning cartoons, and the FCC requires a certain amount of time be given up for PSA's. They may not have a large enough rotation to show more of a variety and still meet the requirements. I haven't really seen too many of them (I don't have an antenna for HD locals, so I get mine in SD and I use the 30 second skip on my PVR to get rid of them).

But, as noted above, I also noticed no commercial break after the opening credits, so the "extra" commercial time may not have been extra, so much as moved. As a matter of fact, I almost hit the skip foward after the credits, until I realized the show was starting up (I like the opening credit sequence, so I usually let it run up until the 1st break).

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the PSAs are put into local ad space. My ABC affiliate never inserts local ads during network HDTV programming on their digital channel.

Regardless, this has really gotten me thinking about PVRs. The solid 5 minute stretch of commercials between 10:40 and 10:45 is too much. Never really wanted one before, but this is making TV unwatchable. This didn't bother me last season, so something has changed (and I don't think it's me).

It's like the radio now, where at times there are 15 minute stretches with only one song played.

The networks really need to treat their primetime shows more like premium content, which is what it's supposed to be (fewer ads, higher dollars per). Premuim content should not have as many commercials as MTV.

It makes me sad that one of the few network shows that I truly enjoy is being hacked up in such a brutal manner.

:(

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
For a long time it's been like that. Usually 9 to 10 minutes of comercial time per a 30 minute show and ~20 per a 1 hour show. I can record a 1 hour show, let my vcr mark the comercials to auto fastforward through them and I always get through the in 40 to 41 minutes. I've been using an RCA's auto fastforward feature for at least 5 years and it's had that time span ever since.

·
Registered
17,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
I think the PSAs are put into local ad space. My ABC affiliate never inserts local ads during network HDTV programming on their digital channel.
They'd have to put something in there at the half hour mark or you'd see ABC's color bars on the air. Unless they've changed things since I used to do the local ABC thing, they slap them up during the local break time at half-hour. The break at :45 does, indeed have promos and PSAs playing under the local break for those stations that do not cover it. Techically, at least :30 seconds of that 1:30 local break at :45 is supposed to be for local news promotion. At the :30 minute mark, you usually hjave roughly 2 minutes national commercials and 2 ABC promos followed by about 2 minutes of local ads (I *think* the actual number is 2:10). Stations also get a 1:04 end break on shows that do not go seamless to the next show. NYPD Blue and other 10PM shows provide a :04 end break for station ID (as well as a credit squash for a local on-camera news lead-in promo) prior to hitting the local news at 11PM flat. Some stations don't bother and hit the news right off the end credits to avoid losing viewers to the "quick-draw" remote controls.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
My wife and I no longer watch any drama or comedy on TV live. We record and watch it later, scanning passed the commercials. They are so frequent and so long that we find ourselves losing interest in the show if we watch it live.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Matt,

I agree, and almost always we don't watch live. But, there is no way for me to record HD at this time (I don't want to do it by computer or expensive videotape), and we really like this one show.

SMK

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Actually the weirdest thing about this weeks NYPD Blue was that it started in September. I dont remember a year where theshow didnt start in October. Because Tuesday at 10 is such a prized time slot for ABC (courtsey of NYPD Blue) ABC has as far as I can remember always premeire some new one hour drama series in this time slot. They eventually move the new show to its permenant time slot and then NYPD Blues starts up in Mid October. Irconically enough I dont think any of the shows they did this with have survived once they left the Tuesday 10 pm time slot

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Oh, on the issue of Zack, come on give the guy a break. If every actor was typecast once he has a sucessful show, no one would ever have a long term career.

·
Registered
17,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Oh, on the issue of Zack, come on give the guy a break. If every actor was typecast once he has a sucessful show, no one would ever have a long term career.
Yeah, what about "the fat kid from Stand By Me?" :D

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
We don't watch any network TV live. However,

fast forwarding a D-VHS VCR to skip commercials is an art rather than a science. How ironic that the MITS VCR features up to a 3 minute "skip" fast forward which is useless already.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I even taped the Browns/San Fran NFL game in HD last Sunday for later viewing. As a long suffering Brown's fan I am keeping the tape as a great PQ "demo" reference tape.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Actually the weirdest thing about this weeks NYPD Blue was that it started in September. I dont remember a year where theshow didnt start in October. Because Tuesday at 10 is such a prized time slot for ABC (courtsey of NYPD Blue)
I was actually disappointed to see that Blue was premiering in September this season. The last couple of years, as you mentioned, it hasn't been coming on until late October and what was so great about that was there were hardly any re-runs for the entire season. In fact two years ago I don't think they showed a single re-run for the entire season.

John-Paul (Zach) has blossomed greatly since joining NYPD Blue. I actually couldn't believe it was the same actor. I've enjoyed his stay much more than that of Silver Spoons boy, although Zach is still third behind Caruso and Smits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.