Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

I am watching this for the first time in HD, and I am impressed:)

Was this program in HD last year?

Fred

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
No friggin signal at all in Atlanta!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, NYPD Blue was in HD for about half of last season if I recall correctly. This week's show is looking pretty good - not quite as sharp as CSI on CBS. That may just be local since the Cinti ABC affiliate runs a semi static weather radar SD as as secondary service. NYPD Blue left behind the grainy effect that they employed earlier.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
couldn't tell you because my local affiliate decided it would be fun to not pass the HD to me. he'll be getting another phone call tomorrow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
ADebar,

Have you thought about a UM, guaranteed to cure all know problems with stupid and or lazy ABC affiliates. Has also been known to cure the same problems with local NBC and PBS affiliates. :)

Bob H.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thanks Opus.

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
I thought that lastnights (11-6-01) broadcast was some of the best hd ABC had done with its dramas. The Chicago broadcast was very good. PQ was much better than the sitcoms.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
As Vic said, all of last years episodes were HD. And I also agree with Kipp. Last nights premiere definitely looked good. Better than I remember last years shows bein. Part of it might have been because it just seems there were alot of outdor scenes in sunlight. Regardless, it just appeared to have more punch overall.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I thought the episode was great, and the picture quality was super. It appeared to be a click more sharp than last year's HD efforts.

I have always enjoyed the use of 5:1 in this series and last night was no exception.

Very good image, very good audio and very good acting.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
260 Posts
I hate to say "Me, Too!!" but essentially I agree. Great picture. Frank hasn't weighed in with his opinion yet, though. Did anyone else get a weird period of time, thankfully during commercials when all I got was a black screen but could still hear the audio?:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
It was my plan to watch on WTNH in CT but my son had the gear tied up watching 'Empire of the Sun'.

Can anyone comment on the broadcast quality from WTNH?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very good PQ. Also, while not the best use of the discrete 5:1 surrounds that I have heard, still a very enjoyable use of the surround channels for ambient street and office sounds.

Job well done by ABC!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How would I go about getting 5.1 sound on this? I do not currently get 5.1 sound on ABC:mad: Do any of you think It would be a good idea to call up my local ABC and ask them to start 5.1 broadcasts, or is getting this a really BIG deal, and not worth my time.:(

Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
The picture was very good in Chicago, although continued to have problems with Audio Sync. Even noticed some (slight) sync problems when we switched to the DirecTV feed near the end of the show (because the sync issue had become so annoying over-the-air). There was no apparent problem with the Analog over-the-air signal. Did anyone else experience the Audio Sync issue? Kal Hassan (WLS's engineer) contends it's a result of my Sony Recievers.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Diesel,

I have a client with an HD100 who had the same audio sync problem as you.

BTW. The PQ on analog was also seemed better than last year.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think we corrected the Sony HD-100 audio sync problem months ago in Dallas. It has to do with "B" frames in the HD encoder at the station. I am not sure what WLS uses but at least two stations in Dallas had the problem and after this update the complaints went away. We use the Harris FlexiCoder.

JStigler

WFAA-TV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.