AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are folks on this forum with sports cars and the likes.

I purchased an '06 Porsche Carrera 4S with Navigation and PCM phone and have been researching an integrated Bluetooth / iPod kit as there is none on this model (only '09). It seems Denison and Mobridge are the better units. I am leaning towards the Mobridge. Anyone install this or have experience with a similar unit?

I'm using an iPhone for my cell.

Also, I am going to add a 3M clear bra to the hood and fenders up to the A pillar. Anyone else like it? Any pealing or other issues? What did you pay to install?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Jeff, check the 911 forums for feedback on the clearbra and bluetooth, I'm trying to remember the website I think it's 6speedonline .com or something like that. You could also check the lamborghini forums, alot of guys there have used the clearbra on their Gallardos.

Dan

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ash recommended 6speedonline as well and they have a lot of info.

But since I know the folks here, I like those opinions more.

I'm pretty well sold on the 3M clear bra as I can't find much negative on it.

The Blue Tooth stuff is a bit more controversial. Wondered if anyone here had one installed in their car.

Thanks Dan.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'm putting the Kenwood Excelon DNX9140 in my Turbo this week (just put the deposit down this afternoon. Highly recommended unit. The GPS in the Porsche is trash - this is Garmin (best) with everything else including voice command for the phone, GPS, etc.

Also is a 5.1 system with video (need to remember to short the wire so I can use without the parking brake on).

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Called a friend who races Porsche - he says to stay away from the 3M and look at a company called Ventureshield.

Not that I've ever done it myself, but I might look into it too.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ash,

Your Turbo is gorgeous!!! I can't wait to hear more about which mods you employ for racing. A new hobby (and money pit) is born.

Peter,

I gotta know how that Kenwood is. I have a dealer that installs the similar Alpine and your Kenwood. It doesn't quite fit the Porsche dash so they have to do a cut out! They had no Porsche photos to show, so I want to get an idea of what it may look like. I want really Blue Tooth and IPOD. Ash uses the TOOKi, but I don't believe that runs through the Nav screen and uses the Porsche phone buttons. I want something fully integrated. Take some pix of your install, I'd like to see how it integrates. Yes, the Porsche Nav is crap. I'd never use it.

Here's some pix of my new baby. THe onpe good thing about the bad economy is these cars have really fallen in value. So, I jumped in...

·
Registered
2,363 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Nice. Can't tell from the picture, but assuming Black. I'll shoot you some pictures of the job once completed on mine.

Now I need to figure where to put the cup-holders ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
Peter,

The 2008 or 09 Turbo has two cup holders right above the glove box....

The strip opens and you can press the cup holders and they come out, very neat design as they can be expanded depending on up size.

Ash

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yup, not mine though.

I've seen the new design. And while it is nice that they do not take up much space, not in a great location for use. Prefer something low to the ground like this - http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma /forum/post/17016204

Now that's a fine looking vehicle....

Ash

It is Porsche Black with Sand Beige interior. Mine has 2 cup holders, adjustable diameter as well. No cup holders in my previous '01.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS /forum/post/17016314

Yup, not mine though.

I've seen the new design. And while it is nice that they do not take up much space, not in a great location for use. Prefer something low to the ground like this - http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html

I like that holder as well... But they are not made for the 997 (unless it is not listed on their site)..

·
Registered
694 Posts
Loved my Turbocab with mods (chip, short shifter, coil-overs and custom spoiler). Eventually, my neck and behind demanded something more cushy. Now ecstatically happy with my Renntech SL 600.

David

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Mark,

It's a 2007 SL with the ECU upgrade and an upgraded intercooler. I also out on a limited slip. Otherwise, I'd be the guy burning rubber and going nowhere at every stoplight.

David

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hi David,

Yeah, ECU upgrades are so much nicer than old engine bore and stroke mods that cost $30-50K from Renntech for the V8 and V12 regularly aspirated engines!! If I wanted to speed less than $5K I could do this and have it turned around within 2 days:

Currently the GIAC performance program for the Continental GT ® produces 100-114 hp and 120-130 ft-lbs of torque

But I drive the car like an old man anyway and don't come close to its stock performance 552 hp. Still have warranty through April 2012 taking no chances!!

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
not sure if I am a member of this club but I took the cheap route:

Bought a new 2003 SL500 with AMG sport package [faux AMG], garage kept with less than 5000 miles on it: beautiful mint condition

only worth about $30k now, but it is the same body style so if you don't get too close you cannot tell

I drive like Mark B so the extra horsepower is not needed!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts