AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what surge protector should one buy at a more reasonable price than moster and still not lose in picture quality? I have a Tosh 50HPX95 plasma. Thanks for the Info or Links. STUCATT :)

·
Banned
783 Posts
Save your money on "power conditioners" if that is what you are referring to. There is no way to "clean up" electricity to make your picture look better.

If you actually want a surge protector, Belkin makes a number of reasonably priced models.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I agree.... a Surge Protector isn't going to give a Better Picture !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucatt
So what surge protector should one buy at a more reasonable price than moster and still not lose in picture quality? I have a Tosh 50HPX95 plasma. Thanks for the Info or Links. STUCATT :)
High priced surge protectors are snake oil just like Monster Cable. If you want to protect against surges, you have to improve your earth ground. A surge protector is nothing more than a device that dumps a surge to earth ground. The best investment in my opinion is a whole house surge protector.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
A good conditioner can help in analog usage, but with Plasmas and such, like these guys said its snake oil.

But if you are concerned about the safety of you system, theres more than just a power surge than can kill it. On my old setup, I was using about a 5 year old Sony VCR, somehow, the power supply of it shorted to the VCR itself, sending high voltage AC down all of the video cables, which then went to my Surround Receiver, killed the video controll board, I mean physically cracked the chips, then went on to my Sony Wega and killed the video inputs, then down to my PS2 and killed it, then to my sattelite receiver and killed its video out, ouch!

Not sure how you can prevent that, but Ill never again own a VCR, lol!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon
Save your money on "power conditioners" if that is what you are referring to. There is no way to "clean up" electricity to make your picture look better.
Groan, I’m actually one of the suckers that got fooled then! Spent over $200 on a surge protector for my 40 inch Sony XBR. I guess at the time it just seemed like the wise “cautionary†thing to do to protect such an expensive television.

So even a good surge protector/line cleaner (which is what mine is) won’t give you a better picture. I guess my question is then, will it make your picture worse? I have my satellite cable (from the dish) running into the surge protector, and out to the satellite receiver. Would I get a better signal if I ran the cable right into the receiver?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would you suggest one should spend and what features are important then? Thanks for the tips, Just want my system to rock my world and not my pocket!!!(Well at least not too much :) )

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing as krishka too... does the extra connection to the surge connector make the picture worse versus straight thru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishka
Groan, I’m actually one of the suckers that got fooled then!

Spent over $200 on a surge protector for my 40 inch Sony XBR. I guess at the time it just seemed like the wise “cautionary†thing to do to protect such an expensive television.

So even a good surge protector/line cleaner (which is what mine is) won’t give you a better picture. I guess my question is then, will it make your picture worse? I have my satellite cable (from the dish) running into the surge protector, and out to the satellite receiver. Would I get a better signal if I ran the cable right into the receiver?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Going against the grain here, but here goes...

The effects of power conditioning are often overstated, but I think it's foolish to say that it can't help picture or sound. Ever had noise in your picture when a hairdryer, eggbeater, etc. got turned on? I have, with an air conditioner. The distortion was removed by a power conditioner. My parents' TV had a similar problem fixed in the same way. People can hem and haw all day about the theoretical best way being having a proper earth ground and good wiring in the house, but it's not practical to sandblast a soup cracker to fix such a problem. Power conditioning products DO filter EMI and RFI from the line, improving noise floor in audio, and removing distortion in the power, but seem to have a negligible effect on picture quality.

To all those who scream heresy, please, from our friends at Audioholics.com: Audioholics Power Conditioning Review

As I am sure you are all aware, Audioholics is never shy about delcaring iffy products to be "snake oil", and you'll find nary a mention of the word in this review of a *gasp* $400 Monster Power product. But they do rate it a 9.1 out of 10 overall, and a 9 of 10 in "value".

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
But thats on an Analog device, an LCD or Plasma shouldnt be of concern,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.