AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please type as fast as you can... what music did you listen to, what were the first impressions, did you place an order?!?!

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Well without everyone accusing me of bias I can honestly say that the X-2 audition today proved to me that the X-1's are merely for mortals. I have never heard a speaker as good as the X-2. The demo took place after a tour of the Wilson factory where I had a long talk with Dave Wilson about the X-2. To see how the X-2's are made or for that matter how all of the Wilson speakers are made would give anyone a sense that they own a true masterpiece. The workmanship that goes into the production of any of these speakers is amazing. It takes 2 weeks to make a pair of X-2's from start to finish. The X-2's in production now are spoken for through the month of April 2004.

But to get to the speaker itself. Some basic impressions because it was a trus and instantaneous A/B of the X-1/ X-2. First we had a chance to listen to the X-1's for approx 20 minutes. The music heard was spectacular. I thought how could anything be any better? Then the same music is played back with the help of the A/B switch which as I stated was instantaneous so that it left absolutely no guess work.

Simply put the X-1 sounded only 2 dimensional whereas the X-2 was as 3 dimensional and lifelike as any speaker I have ever heard. The sound stage was wide and deep. In fact the sound stage seemed to be wider than the speakers ( and no the music wasn't in Q Sound). I felt that I was sitting in the first row dead center in the orchestra whereas with the X-1's I was sitting in the center but probably 10 rows back. The X-1's in comparison sounded like they were running on only 4 cylinders whereas the X-2 was like a racehorse, performing effortlessly. There was an air of openness and realism that I have never heard in my 30 years of being involved in this hobby. As well the X-1 had an air of sharpness to it that the X-2 didn't especially with percussion. This is due to the way the upper modules can be adjusted both forward and backward as well as aspherically. They appear similar--almost the same footprint although the X-2 is probably 2 inches taller and each speaker weighs approx 120 lbs more than the X-1. The other amazing feature is that when you buy the speaker Wilson adjusts the bass damping to be consistant with the specs of your amps. If you change amps they will adjust the bass damping.

Finally for those who have commented about how cool the finish of the Grand Utopias or other speakers are, you merely have to look at the style and finish to this speaker to know that it is a work of art. The ones today were featured in Grigio Titanio

In summary, I remember a TV commercial many years ago with Ella Fitzgerald "Was that live or was that Memorex?" Well to all of you I can say unequivocally, my hat goes off to Dave Wilson, because today at his house all I could think was " Is this live or is this X-2?"

BTW, front end gear used was Audio Research CD 3 into a Meitner DAC 8 into an Audio Research Ref 2 Mk ll preamp driven by ML 33's and using Transparent cables

For me, this was like a kid in toyland at Xmas. This is "As good as it gets". To Frantz who keeps lauding his Alon or Dynaudio, or Kharma or Magnepan, I say to you think again, because there is simply nothing out there that equals or even comes close to the X-2.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent. Glad to hear they are spoken for well into next year... don't have to think about spending more money. When are yours due to be setup and delivered.

I'd like to learn more about that bass damping...

Glad to see you mentioned the signal source chain. I guess the ARCD3 and Meitner must be good stuff if Mr. Wilson uses it for demo's. I am surprised he was using ML33's... I guess the old ML is still a gold standard.

I just got done listening to 2 hours of X-1's on various material. I am not feeling the need whatsoever to upgrade, though I do imagine the sound can get yet better. But I am not sure if it is the speaker or the limits of the recording techniques then and today.

When is a chance to hear the X-2's in this area... some show or some dealer expected to get a pair?

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
I'm glad that the X-2 is as "good" as it gets for you.As with everything in life, next year there will be better, bigger and more impressive speakers, but it would be great to have a new benchmark speaker.The following year, the same will happen and this should continue until conventional speaker design is too simplistic to implement.

Have you had a chance to audition the Martin Logan Statement E2's by any chance? Have you tried any pipe organ music with your audition? Pity you can't provide us with any pictures, as I'm sure that everyone would like to see how magnificent these speakers are to look at.Any double-blind testing to differentiate the quality differences between the X-2's and perhaps an X-1? Completely off topic, but does Dave plan on advancing his XS subwoofer?

So oneobgyn, what type of driver array does the X-2 utilize? What type of efficiency levels do these speakers have? What type of crossover is used? Any idea's on the power rating? Since you have spoken to Dave himself about these new speakers, I'm sure that you could further expound on these necessary details.All in all, eight questions.:)

Regards

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
I'l pass on goneten questions with merely a simple comment. Trust me when I tell you goneten that even YOU wouldn't need a double blind test--it takes all of 15 seconds to figure out who the winner is.

I do know who manufactures the drivers but it is not necessary to comment here.

As for those who own X-1's and are not planning to buy X-2's, my best advice is not to audition these speakers because, as a prior reviewer who heard the speakers at Dave Wilson's house told me "once you hear the X-2's you won't want to listen to the X-1's again as the X-1's sound broken in comparison". So tzucc enjoy your system and forget about about the X-2's as the best example I can give you is the time you came to my house to hear my X-1's and you decided from that point not to buy the WP 7's

Another interesting fact that tzucc and others can relate to--the time spent to adjust the X-1 upper modules. As far more complex as the X-2's are they are far easier to set up. In Dave Wilson's house, it took 2 days to get the X-1's correct but only 2 hours to set up the X-2's

Finally as for crossovers. The X-1 has only one crossover whereas the X-2's have 4. Gone are those 2 rear firing tweeters on the upper module of the X-1 and replaced by a single super tweeter which crosses over at 16,000 and plays to 40,000. Who can hear that you ask, but it is there for a reason.

Finally goneten, your comments only make me laugh and I will just leave it at that.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Man, and I was expecting a biased, emotional, knee-jerk reaction from you ob regarding your X-2 experience! :p

Quote:
Originally posted by oneobgyn
To Frantz who keeps lauding his Alon or Dynaudio, or Kharma or Magnepan, I say to you think again, because there is simply nothing out there that equals or even comes close to the X-2.
Interesting statement. I can assume then that you've heard everything out there under optimum listening conditions with satisfactory room/gear? I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I have a question about some unorthodox, little known, or rare speaker... ;)

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Bigus-I will merely say to you as I did to goneten--even YOU can figure it out and yes I have heard ALL of thos speakers under optimum conditions.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just put of curiousity, has anyone hear heard Linwitz's Orion speakers. Much less than 125k and a DIY altough apparently now available finished and delivered for 6.5K.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OB, I hear you... I do remember how perfectly happy I was with WP7s BEFORE I met you. So the question is... did you place an order?!

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Finally goneten, your comments only make me laugh and I will just leave it at that
Whats funny about my comments? I would like to know more about the X-2's, is that such a crime. I asked for you to answer my questions, some of which are pertinent to this discussion.If you can't answer them, then please just say so, but you don't have to be indecorous about it.

Regards

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Quote:
and yes I have heard ALL of thos speakers under optimum conditions.
Great! Now I know where to go if I need some impressions on one the more obscure of the thousands of exotic and high end speakers out there!

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Bigus -FYI, of the other high end speakers which I mentioned earlier I have owned all but one of them-- so yes I do feel that I can give an opinion--something you can't.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Quote:
... there is simply nothing out there that equals or even comes close to the X-2.
Do you not even realize you made a blanket statement proclaiming the X-2's to be far better than every other speaker ever made?!? Sure, you've owned three of the four you mentioned... what of the other thousands you also included in this ridiculous proclamation?

Quote:
I have owned all but one of them-- so yes I do feel that I can give an opinion--something you can't.

A bit of that "audiophile snobbery" showing through? Glad to know the opinion police are out there telling me what I can and can't form an opinion on. But you know what... I'd love for you to show me even one instance where I formed a subjective opinion on a product I haven't owned, or at the least spent some quality time with (the Lexicon falls under the latter category, and my opinion of that unit still remains mostly objective).

But I tell you what... I can surely form opinions of people.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Quote:
Bigus -FYI, of the other high end speakers which I mentioned earlier I have owned all but one of them-- so yes I do feel that I can give an opinion--something you can't.
Just curious what other models you have owned? Dyanudio Evidence, Kharma Grand Exquisite... inquiring minds want to know....

Don't take this the wrong way but from my perspective, I think you need to tone down the Wilson ranting a bit. While I am all in favor of a constructive discussion, there are other valid opinions and products out there. I agree that Wilson makes a great product but it is not to everyone's taste and you need to keep that in mind. While I give Dave Wilson a lot of credit for a finely crafted product, his products were never my cup of tea and I have heard almost all of them (dating back to the original WP).

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Dynaudio Evidence Master--was great but just too big for my room. Kharma Grand Ceramique but just didn't do it for me.

Scooter I agree I will tone down the Wilson ranting-- I was merely responding to tzuccs questions. Both of us are no doubt firmly entrenched in the Wilson camp.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
One-

I find it interesting that the Dynaudio's were too big... I don't recall but I remember hearing the X-1s, Dynaudios, Kharma's, and Logan Statements at a dealer and just from memory the X-1s and Dynaudios were about the same size... but then again, maybe my spatial perception was way off. I agree with you on the Kharma (definitely not my thing either... and they are quite ugly) but I greatly enjoyed the Statements and Evidences.

And in case you are wondering, my personal opinion on Wilson is that they are the most amazing pinpoint precise speaker on the face of the earth (great for monitoring). However, my personal opinion is that I find them very difficult to listen to because they simply don't sound natural (to the point that I get listening fatigue). While I can hear every little subtle drop of the hat in an exact position, to me music in real life simply doesn't sound that way and I don't want my stereo sounding that way either. Maybe the X-2 is something different, but every other Wilson speaker that I have heard has that very characteristic "Wilson" sound. However, that sound is what also makes some like yourself fall in love with them.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
listener fatigue? nope. Not here... unfortunately, it's the opposite. I usually can't stand to sit still and listen to more than half a song at a time. I now become mesmerized 2 to 3 hours at a time in my all Wilson all the time room. They are somewhat pinpoint it's true, at least in my room, though my room is heavily treated, about the same as a recording studio.

Every night when I play some of my recordings I find something new that I hadn't heard before but that my system and WIlsons are reproducing.

As an engineer by training, I would also prefer to discount OB's subjective disqualification of every other speaker brand on earth. I have not heard ALon's, Kharmas, have indeed heard some high end Dynaudio. So I shouldn't by all logic say that the X-1 or X-2 can't be beat when I haven't heard all the alleged competition.

However having heard the near top of the line Dynaudios, Martin Logans, and top of the line B&Ws, and some others I can't remember, the WP6s blew them away, just decimated them. Given that the X-1s completely dominate the WP7s I feel its safe to say, by induction, that the X-1 then X-2 will be the best on the planet. When you like Wilson, it's not that you like them, it's that you love everything they stand for, which is excellence in design and pursuit of the ultimate reproduction of an analog signal, at least for a given price range.

I am sure some out there would honestly feel that they prefer another brands imaging, which is fine for me. Ears and brains do add to the transfer function between signal source and enjoyment.

All I can say for sure is the X-1s nearly meet my definition of a fantasy speaker. I think the X-2's would terminate the 'nearly'. And when I say nearly for the X-1s I mean I can imagine some songs and how they could get even better than just merely incredible sounding.

OB, surely, as your audiophile apprentice, you will give me first dibs on X-2 audition!!!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.