AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems everywhere you turn there is another game publisher speaking badly about the PS3. At this point anyone that still thinks the PS3 will win the console war is only kidding themselves.....

Quote:
PS3 load times slower - Oblivion dev

PlayStation 3's Blue-ray drive is causing problems for Bethesda Softworks conversion of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to the console.

Speaking to US magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly, Betgesda's Todd Hoawrd explained that the developer is having to duplicate a lot of the game data across the Blu-ray disk in order to improve load times.

The developer has found that the load times on PlayStation 3 were slower than the Xbox 360 version and duplicating data is Bethesda's attempted solution.

"Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity]," Howard told EGM. "And Blu-ray is slower."

It will be interesting to see how much difference there might be in the final game between load times on the two consoles.

So much for the extra capacity of Blu-ray. They're just using the capacity to duplicate the same data.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe edit the title to reflect that the PS3 BD drive is slower in some instances than the xbox 360 DVD.

Otherwise why don't they give the option to install the game to the HDD, since it's 4GB and since all PS3s have one!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
"Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity]," Howard told EGM. "And Blu-ray is slower."

And you are GUARANTEED an HDD to cache to with the PS/3. Not so on Xbox.

A poor craftsman blames the tools.

Gary

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor craftsman? I guess you haven't played any version of Oblivion if you say that.

And install 4GB on the hard drive for one game? No thanks. People with the smaller hard drive would only be able to have 4 games installed if that happens.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 /forum/post/0

I thought this was the HDTV software forum, not the gaming forum.

sorry I figured most people who are interested in either HD format would be interested in what developers say about the drive speeds of the most prevelant player.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zuber /forum/post/0

You better tell Toshiba to stop wasting research $$$ on that "science fiction" 51 GB disc, then.

For movies I don't think it would be as much of an issue as most movies are played straight through, but for video games (especially open ended ones such as Oblivion) you could go wherever you want in the world which means it will need to find that specific data on the disc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.