AVS Forum banner

Oblivion GOTY: PS3 or 360, which has less bugs?

• PS3 has less bugs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xbox 360 has less bugs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wanting to buy Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion for a long time; but being a frugal gamer
, I've waited until the price of the Game of the Year edition droped to $30. I own a PS3 and will be purchasing a 360 soon. I don't care about which platform has better looking graphics. My main conern is bugs. Which version has the least serious or annoying bugs? Like ones that prevent you from finishing side quests or the main game. (I'm sure the PC version probably has the least bugs, but I don't want to upgrade my computer right now, to be able to play it)

This is not a flame bait thread. Otherwise, I would have posted this in the Cross Platform thread (whoose only saving grace is the twinkie vs. hoho debate).

P.S. How has Bethesda not corrected all the bugs for this game by now?
Did they just move onto Fallout 3 and abandon fixing the bugs?

P.P.S. I cross posted this in the Playstation area.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I say get the 360 version, it has more DLCs available and you won't run into the nasty Vampire bug.

Actually, ideally I'd say upgrade your computer. There are some phenomenal fan base addons. In fact there is an unofficial user created patch that fixes 1800 "issues" left after the final patch for the PC version. Granted, there are quite a few entries for things like "Raised a bone hidden (far) beneath the floor in Fort Irony" but still.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What is the vampire bug? I only have around 8 hours in, but so far I haven't run into any bugs. Just some long loading times, occasional frame rate drop and texture pop-in. Are these considered bugs?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Oh, and I just got the vampire disease!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I think the PS3 version runs smoother, doesn't it? I seemed to remember it being one of the few cross-platform games that was actually better on the Playstation.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN /forum/post/15469495

What is the vampire bug? I only have around 8 hours in, but so far I haven't run into any bugs. Just some long loading times, occasional frame rate drop and texture pop-in. Are these considered bugs?

Not being able to complete the vampire cure quest. If you haven't slept, you probably can get rid of the disease easily using standard methods. It isn't until you are a full vampire that you need to do the quest to get cured. There is a workaround, using the non GotY edition disc.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15471262

I think the PS3 version runs smoother, doesn't it? I seemed to remember it being one of the few cross-platform games that was actually better on the Playstation.

The PS3 version did score better. Considering the developer had an additional year to refine the game, you would expect it to be the better performing of the two.

Also I believe the DLC content for the 360, is already included on the disk of the PS3 version.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm pretty sure that when Shivering Isles was released, they updated the X360 engine to be on par with the PS3 engine...smoother, deeper draw distance, smoother framerate, bug fixes, etc. At this point I think the two are indistinguishable.

Go with whichever console feels more comfortable to you...you're going to be spending CONSIDERABLE time playing the game!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've logged roughly 100 hours into the game and haven't encountered any bugs. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I just play the game normally and save often.

Great game, though. The reason I picked the 360 version over the PS3 version is more comfortable controller + Shivering Isles + achievements.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
PS3 version includes Shivering Isles + Knights of the Nine as well.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/15474467

I'm pretty sure that when Shivering Isles was released, they updated the X360 engine to be on par with the PS3 engine...smoother, deeper draw distance, smoother framerate, bug fixes, etc. At this point I think the two are indistinguishable.

Go with whichever console feels more comfortable to you...you're going to be spending CONSIDERABLE time playing the game!

They did not, this was one of those rumors that floated around for a long time until it was tested by grandmaster at B3D. The 360 graphics never changed from release.

All the details are buried somewhere, but the conclusion is here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=3

Edit:

Here is more info:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=462

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=49

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=463

BTW I like how 14 people voted yet who has spent time with both? Zero?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've spent time with both. PS3 has a better framerate and quicker loading times, that's about the only difference I can see. And the difference is marginal at best.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/15476958

They did not, this was one of those rumors that floated around for a long time until it was tested by grandmaster at B3D. The 360 graphics never changed from release.

All the details are buried somewhere, but the conclusion is here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=3

Edit:

Here is more info:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=462

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=49

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=463

BTW I like how 14 people voted yet who has spent time with both? Zero?

What does any of that prove? Just that when patched, the GOTY edition matches the original retail copies of the game? Who ever said it didn't? Also, no one ever made claims that the resolution was increased.

Fact is, the game was improved via a patch that incorporated some of the PS3 improvements on the engine to the 360 version. If your sources wanted to try to disprove that, they should be comparing unpatched screenshots to what the game looks like after the final patch.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have the 360 pro and it works great on it. No hickups to speak of at all. Although I have just started playing this game, just made it out of the dungeon. Fantastic game...I am hooked.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/15479448

Fact is, the game was improved via a patch that incorporated some of the PS3 improvements on the engine to the 360 version.

No, the real fact is they never changed the engine, unless you have some proof. I provided links to discussions in which they came to the conclusion no changes were made. Of course I'm sure the tech heads at B3D are not experts like you. Feel free to post there and correct them.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
All your links ever said was when both versions were updated to the latest version, the GOTY edition looks identical to earlier retail copies. None of those links makes any mention of what your saying they did. And no one ever said the resolution was ever upped, which those post concentrate on proving (Despite no one ever thinking the resolution was increased...). In fact, one of your links even says theres been changes done when comparing screenshots of a patched and unpatched version, proving I'm right.

We all know the GOTY edition hasn't gotten any improvements the original edition didn't recieve. That doesn't mean the engine didn't have improvements done to it at one point, or disprove that happening. All it proves is the GOTY edition and original retail copies look identical when updated. The changes concerned things like adjusting the LOD and other stuff, not upping the resolution.

So I choose to believe the developers, rather than some random person saying something no one else is, or even reading his own links.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts