AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mulling over the prospect of getting Oblivion for some time now. I have some experience playing MUDs ( www.3k.org ) and the gameplay and quest system of this game sound very familiar to what 3k was like for me. I had always enjoyed the quest aspect of it, and that is what drew my interest to Oblivion. So now I am wondering if I should wait to get it on PS3 when it comes out, or go ahead and pull the trigger on the version available for the 360? Anyone know of what differences there might be, or is it a straight port? I heard there's a big expansion coming out for the 360 version in March. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie24 /forum/post/0

I've been mulling over the prospect of getting Oblivion for some time now. I have some experience playing MUDs ( www.3k.org ) and the gameplay and quest system of this game sound very familiar to what 3k was like for me. I had always enjoyed the quest aspect of it, and that is what drew my interest to Oblivion. So now I am wondering if I should wait to get it on PS3 when it comes out, or go ahead and pull the trigger on the version available for the 360? Anyone know of what differences there might be, or is it a straight port? I heard there's a big expansion coming out for the 360 version in March. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Link . They are always tight lipped. The original game is coming to the PS3, but the expansion planned for the 360 and PC this Spring has yet to be confirmed for the PS3.

If you own both systems already, I would wait. Only reason is maybe they made a few little improvements to the PS3 version. Maybe wait to get more info on that.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I had Oblivion for 360 given to me but I am considering returning it unopened in case the ps3 version is better. It is going to be 1080p and include the knights of the nine. It will have better draw distances and the background and forefront will blend in better. But I want to wait for the reviews to be sure since other ps3 ports have not fared well.

My pc won't do it justice as it is limited by my 6800gt. And I would rather play it on a 50"screen anyway.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismor2 /forum/post/0

Accordind to this site it will come with the expansion pack on the ps3 version. link http://www.the-magicbox.com/0701/game070116b.shtml .

Right, but last week a "real" expansion pack was announced. One that would add an entire new realm about 1/4 the size of Cyrodiil. Nights of the Nine was more of mission expansion. Bethesda announced that this new expansion would be downloadable for the 360, but they didn't comment on the PS3 one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Owning both systems and the same game available for each with little difference in graphics or whatever I would opt for the 360 version because of the achievement system. It just gives you little goals in a game to try to reach and then you feel rewarded when you reach that goal.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Heh, you don't need the 360's achivement system to tell you that you completed a guild questline or advanced in the main quest. Besides, the 360 runs really poorly, I'd hold out to see if the PS3 does any better in that regard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was considering getting the PS3 version even though I have the 360 version, just because it runs so badly on 360. You get used to it, but it makes the game less immersive when it constantly has to pause for loading when you are outdoors. The framerate really takes a dive sometimes as well. I haven't played it much in the last 6 months just because I got tired of the horrible inventory and spell system. I went from loving the game to hating it because it was so frustrating.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I would buy the 360 version. Rumble is very well used in the game when attacking, being hit and blocking. Very immersive.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Frank, does the PC version support rumble?

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme /forum/post/0

Heh, you don't need the 360's achivement system to tell you that you completed a guild questline or advanced in the main quest. Besides, the 360 runs really poorly, I'd hold out to see if the PS3 does any better in that regard.

I have not seen this game run "poorly" on the 360. What do you mean by that. IMO it runs excellent.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Go for the X360 version. Play it now and get the expansion sooner.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone /forum/post/0

Frank, does the PC version support rumble?

No, that and the fact you need a MONSTER PC to run it are good reasons not to buy the PC version. My sons video card that we bought to play Oblivion properly costs between a 360 and a PS3 20G.

The framerate stutters outdoors in the 360 version. If you own any of several PS3 games you know what stutter is, a temp drop in framerate.

Honestly its there and its noticeable, for a little while. Most of the game is in cities and dungeons. You will spend an increasingly small amount of time outdoors as you play (As you "discover" areas you can quick travel to them the next time) . I think it was pure laziness that it stutters but what are ya gonna do. It certainly does not effect gameplay (Only when you are running around, not fighting etc and never in dungeons or towns)

I'd certainly not trade rumble, used in countless hours fighting to great effect for the potential for now stutter in the wild.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would say if you can get the 360 version for $30-$40, pick up the 360 version. I sunk about 140 hours into it, and haven't come anywhere close to discovering everything the game has to offer. It is, quite honestly, the best console game I've ever played from any genre.

If you have other stuff to play in the meantime, though, maybe wait for the PS3 reviews.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernar /forum/post/0

I would say if you can get the 360 version for $30-$40, pick up the 360 version.

I looked in a game store yesterday and they were selling it used for $55! I was like WTF?! New is $60 how can used be $55?

Quote:
If you have other stuff to play in the meantime, though, maybe wait for the PS3 reviews.

I've got some other stuff, which is why I was asking. I'm still working on both GoW and R:FOM so not really clamoring for a game right now. But am very interested in Oblivion.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie24 /forum/post/0

Wait for the PS3 version, they improved a few things.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Definitely wait for the PS3 version. I bought Oblivion for the 360 way back when it came out last year, and the long load times, glitchy graphics, and wonky frame rate made my regret my decision. Wish I'd bought it for my PC, but back then I cared about achievement points for some reason.

The PS3 version should, having a year to further refine the game, be much smoother running. Especially since they've said it's going to be 1080p. They wouldn't shoot for that number if they were having trouble getting the game to run smoothly. Plus it includes the expansion pack that the 360 version lacks.

Since there's no online component (other than downloading extras, which presumably will also be available or already included in the PS3 version), there's no Live advantage. And so it really comes down to rumble support. That's a pretty weak bonus considering the trade off is having to listen to the 360's loud dvd drive access all that information (unless you're lucky and have a quiet 360, or have it located in another room like the moderator).

To me, the enhanced graphics, included expansion and quiet system trump rumble. Then again I have a buttkicker lfe installed inside my couch which rumbles whenever there's bass ... so the PS3's lack of rumble is moot for me.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.