AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm pulling the trigger on some speakers. I've been reading all of the noob "which should I choose" threads for the last month. It seems that whenever the open-ended question of "which speaker" is asked, and the question leaves out any choices, then Definitives are rarely recommended. The comparable Klipsch and Mirage speakers frequent the responses, but rarely are Definitives mentioned. No one really says to stay away from them, but very few end up recommending them (outside of the DefTech threads).

However, if someone asks for opinions on the Defs, they almost always come back very positive.

Since I'm getting ready to purchase the DefTech Pro800 setup (1000 for the center), I'm wondering whether I've missed something. Thoughts about Defs, and why they are left out of many discussions/recommendations?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squire,

Did you switch b/c the 800's didn't fill the room enough, the 1000's just sounded that much better, both, or other reasons?

I'm coming from nothing, so I assume the 800's would be great. I've been eyeing the 1000's, but don't like the difference in cost. Besides, whatever I choose will always have something just a little bit better :)

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin97 /forum/post/15423575

Squire,

Did you switch b/c the 800's didn't fill the room enough, the 1000's just sounded that much better, both, or other reasons?

I'm coming from nothing, so I assume the 800's would be great. I've been eyeing the 1000's, but don't like the difference in cost. Besides, whatever I choose will always have something just a little bit better :)

Quite honestly, it was reading the Definitive Tech forum that put the upgrade bug in my ear. If I never read the forum, I would probably have never upgraded. The 800 system was a great improvement over my previous Denon HTiB set-up. The 800's had no problem filling my room (14.6 x 13.10) and sounded great. That being said, I am happy with the upgrades. The whole system now sounds a tad fuller, crisper when played at louder volumes. I actually completed the upgrade by swapping pieces out on e-bay. Wound up not costing too much more. Where are you thinking of purchasing the 800's? There are some places on-line that provide pretty good discounts if you call them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my room is a real challenge: about 20' long, 15' wide, and height is mixed (back wall to ~ 7ft out is 11' high, remainder is cathedral style--very high and flat ceiling). There are windows throughout the right side of the room. Room is also prewired for 5.1, so positioning is fixed. I went with the Denon 2809 hoping the auto calibration will find a good solution. The 800's seem best b/c of their size/cost/quality balance (need the first two to keep the wife happy).

I am looking at 6ave, ABT, and BB/Magnolia. I just ordered my Denon 2809 from 6ave for a real steal (they've since discontinued the coupon), and have also heard good things about ABT. BB/Mag is only in play b/c of the ability to easily take back if I don't like, as well as the 18mo 0% financing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is an interesting room. It's a tad larger than mine. I'd say if you can swing the PM1000's and PC2000 (at least up front) to do it. It will probably give some peace of mind and they look good also...just a little bigger. I've heard great things about the audyssey set-up in the Denon's. Those places you mentioned can provide some discounts if you call them directly. Good luck! I'm sure you be pleased regardless.

Squire

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin97:

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on why Definitive never seems to make the recommendation lists?

I am not sure what recommendation list you are talking about. I will say it seems the people who consider themselves "true audiophiles" won't touch Def Techs. However, I think it's a little elitist and comes down to price. If it's affordable, it must not be great. The Def Tech STs have been rated as some of the best bang for the buck audiophile speakers out there in multiple reviews, but there are still people who bag on Def Tech. The PM800s and PM1000s use the same woofers as the ST line.

I will say I am a Def Tech owner. I listened to Klipsch, Paradigm, Polk, Mirage, and Energy speakers before I bought. I think the price performance of the Def Techs were the best at the time I bought. I listened to bookshelf and satellite speakers. I first owned the SM350s and went with the PM80s, the predecessor to the PM800s. I upgraded to from the SM350s to the BP2006 TLs. (My complete setup is BP2006s, CLR2300, PM80s and BP1.2X.) Why am I telling you all this. The SM350s and PM1000s use 5.25" woofers, my current 7.1 setup and PM800s use the 4.5" woofers.

I have a huge room, 20x25x10 and a large open area behind that space. It eats up sound. I don't feel the 4.5" woofers are enough for that room. I think if you are going to go with Def Tech you should go with the PM1000s and PC2000. If you can listen to multiple speakers, do it. If you can,t, I think you will be happy with that setup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Lowell,

Thanks for the feedback. If I can find a deal on the 1000/2000's, then I will likely go that route.

As for the list, I'm not referring to any specific list. Just the usual "help me choose my speakers" questions and the subsequent lists of options that usually follow. People seem to compliment the Defs when asked directly about them, but they don't seem to get mentioned often (like Klipsch, Mirage, etc) when asked an open-ended question like "how would you spend this $1200?" I was just curious to know why they aren't mentioned more. Thanks for the feedback on the room size!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin97 /forum/post/15430087

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on why Definitive never seems to make the recommendation lists?

I'm not sure you're right about that, I've seen them mentioned here though maybe not nearly not as often as others.

But certainly there are fanboys who routinely recommend a bunch of other brands, including some ID brands you didn't mention, either without knowing what the poster actually needs or while ignoring their needs. Those are over-represented in the discussions here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're correct about the others, including the ID brands. I'm going to purchase the Defs, but I like to make sure I've considered all of the angles. The Def owners love them, but that's to be expected. I just wanted to make sure that if there's something better in the size, performance, and price range, then I'm giving them their fair audition. I'm also trying to ensure there isn't a downside to the Defs that I don't know about. The only one I'm aware of is the ability of the 800's to fill my room, but I could resolve that with the 1000's...if I can find the extra money.

thanks for all of the input!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I dunno, there do seem to be plenty of Definitive Technology fanboys, but maybe they only keep to the DT threads.

I had a Definitive Technology ProCinema 100 system as my first proper 5.1 setup after doing tons of listening and research in that price bracket. I originally wanted the 80, but the 100 was noticeably better for 2.1 music listening. I didn't try any ID brands and stuck to B&M dealers in the area. The ProCinema 100 system seemed to be the best bag for the buck and I was very happy for years. Definitive seems to be especially strong in the $1000-$2000 5.1 bracket. The only regret is not getting a better sub than the ProSub 100TL that "matched" the system. I could have gotten a better performing sub for similar money. Now I'm in a bigger place and have replaced the sub with an MFW-15 and upgraded to a bigger ProCenter 2000 and a pair of used PowerMonitor 700s and I'm extremely happy with this arrangement.

If I ever upgrade to substantially bigger, more expensive speakers, I'll definitely audition a bunch of different brands, but Definitive will at least be in the rotation given my current satisfaction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.