AVS Forum banner

Why do you need the Service Menu access code for your display?

• I'm just curious, and have *no* intention of changing anything

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • If I play around in there, it will make my display *much* better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a hack I want to try out

• It will give me special powers

• It will make me feel like a pro, even if I do brick my telly

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Look trust me, I know what I'm doing, just gimme the damned code!

• Other

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello calibration junkies

This poll is attempts to understand the apparent obsession that AVS users have with their devices "service menu".

Yes, you know, that alluring secret space behind the more pedestrian "user controls".

I looked at some of the forum stats: from the top 14 most read and most posted threads in the Display Calibration section, the Service Menu Access Codes : Official Request Thread is:
  • the 4th oldest thread
  • the 4th highest in total views
  • the 4th lowest in total posts
  • the 3rd highest views per post

So people, it's a winning topic, but why the obsession?

Ironically, the 3 most common topics (highest views per post) about the trouble people are getting into with Service Menus collectively outranks the Access Codes Request thread itself.

Hmmm...

Thanks for participating!

Cheers

Roland

·
Registered
903 Posts
Someone once said if you adjust tv (white balance)in SM and run colortone cool it avoids some processing.So I did it.

it's because on the old Tvs you needed to get in SM too improve it.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I don't.
Unless it's one of my older displays where you *have* to get into the SM to get at "greyscale" a/o color decoder adjustments.

Thankfully, we appear to be safely beyond those days ... at least if one does their homework before purchase.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello. I voted but had a hard time with the answers because my reasons were varied. 1st Time- the tv had no useful controls outside of service menu. 2nd Time- wanted to turn off dimming feature. 3rd Time- wanted to play around with calibration controls to "fix" the overly red picture. 4th Time- I wanted to enable features (hack) or maybe install cfw. Anyway wad a good thing I didn't have access and had to really search the webz. It forced me to learn more and gave me time to develop respect for the SM

And even though I gained access to SM on a few of the tv's I still have not tried any of the above hacks/tweaks as my paranoia beat my curiosity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts