AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you have read this in one of the other obsidian threads, but I said I would start a new thread on the subject. I have been speaking with Nick, the co-owner of Obsidian with Jake from Sundown(Nick also owns stereo integrity and for those who don't know they were the bees knees when I was in car audio, magnum was SQ champ) and he mentioned to me that he'd be willing to do a group buy for those who have HT at heart. Right now they're on preorder at $169 plus shipping. If 25 are sold between AVS and HT Shack the price goes to $159. If 50 drivers are sold they go to $149. In the checkout where you ask where you heard about them just enter AVS (HT Shack) for those guys. You pay the $169 price and when the numbers reach 25 he'll refund you $10 after another 25 sold an additional $10.

Now I believe this driver is suited for that that want the most displacement for their money. I'm sure this is no LMS Ultra replacement. I've never heard the LMS, but my obsidian sure is clean enough for me. Plus at the lowest group buy price I'm sure the 6 obsidian drivers you could get for 1 LMS would walk all over it in output. I ran some numbers and this driver is a better displacement value than the Fi IB 18 and the MFW 15s when they were being sold for $79 each. Those are the top two displacement kings that I know of.

I have one in a 6 cu ft sealed enclosure and I does quite well in room. I have a little boost on the low end. These would do well in a IB setup or LLT. Nick is in the process of doing some ported cabs that aren't stupid big and will be doing some measurements.

If there are any questions I'll see if I can get Nick to stick his head in once in awhile.

Dan

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah if money wasn't so tight right now I'd pick up 3 more of these guys and throw them in the closet for a future IB setup.

Dan

·
Registered
334 Posts
How long is this group buy up for? And do we have any idea how many they're at currently?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Aren't these subs still 3 months + away?

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008  /t/1415749/obsidian-audio-18-woofer-group-buy#post_22137515

Anyone know how 16 of these would compare to 8 FTW-21's? I have winisd but can not find the parameters for the Obsidian driver.

just crate a new driver and enter the specs just dont enter qms and let it autofill and it should work

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have the Theta Small values for this? Does it model well in small ported enclosures?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks for the mention Dan. And Dan is correct about the group buy. He is also correct about us using a few in the near future in HT setups. One setup will have four 18's ported and the other will has two 18's ported. Both systems are going to be very close to the same volume of 6 ft^3 per woofer tuned to 28 or 25 Hz. I will be taking measurement sizing our XTZ analyzer and I will post the results on this forum when the systems are done. Right now there are about ten drivers sold as we only opened up ordering about three or four days ago. I will keep this forum updated with the group buy numbers as I have only agreed to the group buy discounts on the home audio forums.
I hope the woofers will arrive sooner than I have posted on our web page. Usually our build house is faster after they make their first production run.

Displacement per dollar it's a bit difficult to beat the Obsidian 18. It was/is designed to have a smooth yet plump bottom end while still sounding very good. It uses a short coil with standard topology yet still manages to maintain a respectable 20mm of Klippel verified Xmax (the same motor and coil are used in all of our 600 watt subwoofers). It is not a sealed only subwoofer as it performs well in vented enclosures. Porting it supplies even more bottom end than sealed. It is a very enjoyable subwoofer to listen to.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic  /t/1415749/obsidian-audio-18-woofer-group-buy#post_22140722

Thanks for the mention Dan. And Dan is correct about the group buy. He is also correct about us using a few in the near future in HT setups. One setup will have four 18's ported and the other will has two 18's ported. Both systems are going to be very close to the same volume of 6 ft^3 per woofer tuned to 28 or 25 Hz. I will be taking measurement sizing our XTZ analyzer and I will post the results on this forum when the systems are done. Right now there are about ten drivers sold as we only opened up ordering about three or four days ago. I will keep this forum updated with the group buy numbers as I have only agreed to the group buy discounts on the home audio forums.
I hope the woofers will arrive sooner than I have posted on our web page. Usually our build house is faster after they make their first production run.

Displacement per dollar it's a bit difficult to beat the Obsidian 18. It was/is designed to have a smooth yet plump bottom end while still sounding very good. It uses a short coil with standard topology yet still manages to maintain a respectable 20mm of Klippel verified Xmax (the same motor and coil are used in all of our 600 watt subwoofers). It is not a sealed only subwoofer as it performs well in vented enclosures. Porting it supplies even more bottom end than sealed. It is a very enjoyable subwoofer to listen to.

That doesnt factor in the inductance hump the response will have on top of this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts