AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I need to remove an armrest from a Octane Flex HR Seat. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hi All,
I need to remove an armrest from a Octane Flex HR Seat. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks,
Scott
The armrests are not removeable.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,085 Posts
Some time ago some one wanted to remove an armrest from a seat sold by Costco, after careful study he pulled out a reciprocal saw and hacked it off. He was pleased with the result. Your journey starts by turning it up side down and looking at the construction with a flash light. It is possible that the arm rest is also the leg support on that side so you will need to address that. Also check for wiring. If you are really lucky the arm may be bolted onto the frame and the frame has independent legs. That is how my old Berklines were made. In that case you can take it apart with the right wrenches.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Not bolted. You certainly can sawzall it and reinforce it if you’re handy, but you will adversely affect the integrity of the chair, and ultimately void any warranty.

But sometimes the situation presents a necessity.

Reactions: BIGmouthinDC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The armrests are not removeable.
dsskid,
How do you know this to be true? Are you an expert on these chairs or are you simply a person who doesn't know what they're taking about? I think that latter is true!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some time ago some one wanted to remove an armrest from a seat sold by Costco, after careful study he pulled out a reciprocal saw and hacked it off. He was pleased with the result. Your journey starts by turning it up side down and looking at the construction with a flash light. It is possible that the arm rest is also the leg support on that side so you will need to address that. Also check for wiring. If you are really lucky the arm may be bolted onto the frame and the frame has independent legs. That is how my old Berklines were made. In that case you can take it apart with the right wrenches.
Jeff,
Thanks for the info. The wiring has connectors so the arm can be removed without cutting any wires. Also all armrests on this system have 2 independent feet (foots) for floor support while the chair has 4 so I think I'm good to go!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
dsskid,
How do you know this to be true? Are you an expert on these chairs or are you simply a person who doesn't know what they're taking about? I think that latter is true!
No need to be an expert.

Very simple, I contacted the manufacturer for YOU.

They stated the arms were NOT bolted, and removing them would ruin the integrity of the chair and void warranty.

My intention was to help YOU, but since you've displayed arrogance, I will simply ignore you in the future and would hope you'd do the same.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No need to be an expert.

Very simple, I contacted the manufacturer for YOU.

They stated the arms were NOT bolted, and removing them would ruin the integrity of the chair and void warranty.

My intention was to help YOU, but since you've displayed arrogance, I will simply ignore you in the future and would hope you'd do the same.

You're welcome.
dsskid,
First of all I wish to sincerely apologize for my remarks aimed at you. I really do appreciate that you contacted OCTANE on my behalf. It is no excuse for my behavior but I have been very frustrated with OCTANE as they have said the same thing to me. In my defense though you post could have mentioned that you talked to OCTANE. I took my complaint to the owner (which a customer rep refuse to name) and he responded with the following:

"Thank you for being a customer. It is our policy not to advise customers how to take apart our furniture since it voids the warranty, even if the chairs are out of the warranty period. Our furniture is relatively modular in nature, so technically you can remove the bolts attaching it to the seat frame. You may need to work with the electrical components if the arm you are looking to remove has the power switch."

So the lesson here is for me to be less of a dick on these forums and for all of us to take what a manufacturer customer rep says with a grain of salt.
Once again my apologies
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
dsskid,
First of all I wish to sincerely apologize for my remarks aimed at you. I really do appreciate that you contacted OCTANE on my behalf. It is no excuse for my behavior but I have been very frustrated with OCTANE as they have said the same thing to me. In my defense though you post could have mentioned that you talked to OCTANE. I took my complaint to the owner (which a customer rep refuse to name) and he responded with the following:

"Thank you for being a customer. It is our policy not to advise customers how to take apart our furniture since it voids the warranty, even if the chairs are out of the warranty period. Our furniture is relatively modular in nature, so technically you can remove the bolts attaching it to the seat frame. You may need to work with the electrical components if the arm you are looking to remove has the power switch."

So the lesson here is for me to be less of a dick on these forums and for all of us to take what a manufacturer customer rep says with a grain of salt.
Once again my apologies
Scott
I'll chime in. At HT Design most of our chairs you can actually take the arm off. We have done it here. It won't effect structural integrity in most cases. We have 2 styles of chairs that it will mess them up, but most of our chairs you can take off arms without an issue of stuctural integrity. Octane doing the CYA dance, just telling you this as they don't want you calling later and saying chair is messed up I want a new chair etc. We tell people similar things unless we know situation then we can advise them of how to do it properly.

It is a matter of the controls but for instance in our 2 arm seats, the controls are one arm, so it would e easy to make a 2 arm seat a 1 arm seat by removing arm that has no controls.

I would say though at the end of the day it's not advisable to playing around with this unless your very handy person who majored in "shop" class in high school.

Regards,
Alan

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,085 Posts
I didn’t major in shop but I had a father who believed if you can take something apart you can figure out how to fix it. Just had to be sure you didn’t have parts leftover after surgery. I can remember going with him to the drug store to test the tubes from our TV.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I didn’t major in shop but I had a father who believed if you can take something apart you can figure out how to fix it. Just had to be sure you didn’t have parts leftover after surgery. I can remember going with him to the drug store to test the tubes from our TV.
It's reverse engineer when you do that. My dad was great at building things from scratch however I must have more of mom's genetic make up as I am not very good. Years ago in high school they made us take Briggs and Stratton engine apart the ones that come in lawn mowers and put back together. Our team got the taking apart down right but when we put it back together it was running way louder than before. It ran but not like it was before we took it apart. I mostly hire out people now to do it.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I apologise for my poor English, I am a french person who wants to buy Octane Flex Seats but I need more information.

My room for the seats is in the basement of my house and I must fit the seat through very narrow stairs with two 90° turns.
There is only one possibility to bring the stairs downstairs is a model without the head (it is ok if the seat is sent in two parts) AND even more importatnly, with only one arm. With two arms, the width is too large and I can not make the turn in my stairs.
I contacted Octane but they do not want or can not send me a picture of the side without the arm. Is it possible for you to take pictures from the side without the arms to be sure there is no hidden dimensions or piece who make the move impossible?
I understand my request is quite strange, but I am so close to order my dream chairs ! I want to make sure l will be able to fit them through the stairs to put them in my basement in my video room.

I am not sure to be able to do the same of jsthomps and unmount the stairs alone... so i will try with only one arms:)

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got it apart in 20 minutes! 8 wood screws in total. What as fuss over nothing. The owner's message did the trick!
How did your project come out? I'm looking at buying a used set that the armrest are wobbly and also needs an additional armrest.

·
Registered
803 Posts
So I purchased the used chairs. I inspected the armrest and it's only connected to the metal frame on the bottom, no wonder it's wobbly. Looks like a pretty straight forward fix once I find the right hardware to use.
I removed the armrest and to my surprise they used 1" drywall screws :eek: So I switched them to 2" screws and washers and while not perfect their firm and fixed :cool::D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts