AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm about to run wires throughout my house and got some equipment in and did some testing. This was tested with a computer HDMI out.

Note
  • To test the different lengths I combined cables using a cat6 inline coupler keystone style.
  • All cable pairs were exact length.
  • All network cables are cat6 UTP from monoprice .
  • 6ft 28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 cables were used from source to balun, and from balun to display (12 ft actual HDMI cabling).
  • 1.5ft HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG did NOT WORK when going form source to balun, all I got as snow, I'm guessing you need to use Category 2 rated cables.
  • Connected Straight to TV (Sony XBR 1080p 60hz), no receiver in the mix.

Ocatava Balun w/ IR - $225
75ft - Everything Works perfectly, 1080p video, audio, IR
125ft - (75ft + 50ft w/ coupler) Everything works perfectly, 1080p video, audio, IR
135ft - (75ft + 50ft + 10ft w/ 2 couplers) Everything showed up fine, desktop etc, but playing video has a lot of sparkles at 1080p. Audio, IR was fine.
Edit: After a call to Octava the tech asked me if the wire was coiled up (which it was since it came coiled up), and told me to straighten it out and it should work fine at 135ft, which I will try later.
150ft - (75ft + 75ft w/ coupler) Desktop shows fine, internet etc was usable. Any movie/video would cause dropouts in signal for audio and video every second at 1080p, IR still worked fine. At 720p (changed desktop resolution) everything worked fine, audio/video/IR. (this balun is rated for 150ft max at 1080p, so not surprised)
I'm going to try 24AWG High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 instead of 28AWG to see if it solves the sparkles issue w/ 135ft, as my longest run is right at 120-125ft and I would be more comfortable w/ a little more headroom.

I also tried the Octava baluns connected to the Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch (6ft HDMI from source to switch, 6ft HDMI from swith to balun), and got the same results as above, so the switch did not hinder any performance or cause any issues. Although I was only using 1 source input and 1 output for testing.

Monoprice HDMI Balun - $18
10ft - Everything worked fine, 1080p video/audio.
75ft - Takes like 2-3 seconds for it to sync when HDMI is plugged into Input. Saw desktop for a second and then all I got was snow and sometimes TV saying the input was not supported....no hope for this one.
I didn't really try any other cable lengths as it would really be no use to me, I plan on using these baluns as a connection method from behind the tv to an easy access point on the wall (since it will prob be 10ft or less) if I ever want to connect anything directly to my TV in the future.

These are rated to run 27m (~88ft) at 1080p, but no luck here.

I'm gonna do a little more testing w/ the Monoprice cable to see what lengths it does work at w/o issues.

Take Care

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's interesting I can get the monoprice wallplates to work at 75ft with direct connection. Only a few sparkles for the first 2-3 seconds. Tested at 1080i and 720p. But once I add the 4x4 switch I lost it. The switch seems to really kill the signal as it won't work even at 35ft. $225 is too much for baluns I'd rather just run 75' HDMI cables. Have you considered trying the 75' 28awg cables with equalizer @ iofast ($46) or the 26awg w/ equalizer @ monoprice ($77)? Also an option is a 35' + 40' 24awg with an equalizer/repeater in the middle (~$77).

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 /forum/post/17038759

That's interesting I can get the monoprice wallplates to work at 75ft with direct connection. Only a few sparkles for the first 2-3 seconds. Tested at 1080i and 720p. But once I add the 4x4 switch I lost it. The switch seems to really kill the signal as it won't work even at 35ft. $225 is too much for baluns I'd rather just run 75' HDMI cables. Have you considered trying the 75' 28awg cables with equalizer @ iofast ($46) or the 26awg w/ equalizer @ monoprice ($77)? Also an option is a 35' + 40' 24awg with an equalizer/repeater in the middle (~$77).

I tried the monporice wall plates at 1080p/75ft, and it failed, didn't try it at 720p. My longest run is going to be 120ft or so, and i'd rather run cat6 and terminate the ends myself and be a little more future proof. Also the HDMI cables can get pretty thick and can be a hassle to wire throughout the house.

I've also ordered the Brando HDMI Extender (Cat6 50m) to test it out (coming from HK so prob 2 weeks before i receive it :/). Another user tested it and has had good results ( read here ). The unit comes in at $79 shipped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts