1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Octo - 8 UXL's
Quad - 4 Enclosures
Hexa - 6 DIY Cinema 10's

My first forray into DIY was a little over a year ago with a Dual opposed Ultimax 15 build. Since then, I've built 4 more subs (each different from the last), and my own surrounds using Eminence Beta 10 drivers paired to selenium Compression drivers with a Zilch designed crossover. I've sold all the subs I built, and my JTR Triple 12's, and decided to start all over. I started planning all of this and my brother decided he would go all DIY as well. He currently has 2 Submersives and 3 Catalyst 12's, he's putting a lot of faith in the Cinema 10's haha. I have a friend who owns a cabinetry company and has made this all too easy by CNC'ing the boxes for us. I have done all of the assembly thus far. When it's all done, everything from the Octo-Quad-Hexa build will be split in half between mine and my brothers systems. So maybe it's not fair to give it the name "Octo-Quad-Hexa" but it sure all looks cool sitting together!

It all started a few weeks ago, with this:

As everyone says, I was very impressed with Erich's packaging quality. It is obvious he puts a lot of time and care into it. Everything made it to Canada just fine and I was eager to get underway. The first night I assembled all the crossovers with a little help from Erich and Tux since I didn't have a schematic to begin with.

I designed the sub boxes to fit behind my screen wall. The wall only comes out about 22" so the boxes are 18" deep and should fit nicely. The boxes are 1" MDF with 3/4" used for bracing and the second baffle. The UXL's will be mounted on the 1" and the 3/4 will just recess the UXL for a clean look that nobody will ever see. I'll know it's there though :)

Can anyone see any reason why I should make holes in the center braces in my sub cabinets? The total box is about 8.6ft3 so with the divider in, each UXL will see about 4.3 ft3. Would there be any benefit to cutting some vent holes in the center brace?

It's nice little touches like this that make the CNC such a great tool.

Onto the speaker boxes. First off, big thanks to coolrda! I 100% plagiarized your bracing design. It was good!

You can see I modified the front baffle a little bit by putting in a 1/4 dado all the way around. Structurally, probably unnecessary and didn't do anything but it made it easy getting all the baffles lined up perfectly.

First one down

Last one down

All down

I was flip flopping back and forth between duratex and the alternative a few people have used from home depot but after reading more about the home depot brand results, I've decided to stick with duratex. 5 gallons are on the way and should be here next week. Until then I'll do some prep on the boxes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha that's an impressive catch on the 335. Good eye.

And thanks, I'm excited to get it all up and running!

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Haha that's an impressive catch on the 335. Good eye.

And thanks, I'm excited to get it all up and running!
I grabbed a 2010 xi sedan for the N54 last summer for my daily driver. fun car. 550 ftlbs and a bit over 450 ponies. Have some more work to do on it whenever I find time. It's been parked up for the winter.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Mine is an N55 so a little less power and potential but it still moves! JB4, downpipe, chargepipe and intake are on it now. I'm looking to do the pure turbo swap this summer to get up where the N54's are at. It's tough balancing the discretionary funds between the theatre and the car haha.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
"Would there be any benefit to cutting some vent holes in the center brace?"

not necessary.

550 ft/lbs out of that motor. lol. didn't know there was *that* much left in that car or did you upgrade the turbos?

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
build will be split in half
But before you split it, you have to promise to fire it ALL up in one room. Then you will know what 8 18's sounds like (for your very next upgrade). ;)

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
"Would there be any benefit to cutting some vent holes in the center brace?"

not necessary.

550 ft/lbs out of that motor. lol. didn't know there was *that* much left in that car or did you upgrade the turbos?
factory turbos ;) lots of boost, methanol injection, and my own tuning. That's about the limit out of these turbos. I have faster cars, so I drew the line at where to stop. Its just a fun daily driver that can move, isn't too expensive, and is real nice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But before you split it, you have to promise to fire it ALL up in one room. Then you will know what 8 18's sounds like (for your very next upgrade). ;)
Haha the room is 13x15 with an 8ft ceiling. All 8 would be unreal but I'll see what I can make happen!

factory turbos ;) lots of boost, methanol injection, and my own tuning. That's about the limit out of these turbos. I have faster cars, so I drew the line at where to stop. Its just a fun daily driver that can move, isn't too expensive, and is real nice.

The N54's are overbuilt like crazy! I hope the N55's replacement, the B58, goes back to twin turbo.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Interested in hearing about the faster cars !!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had some time over the weekend to get the finish on the speaker boxes done. I used a 1/2" round-over router bit on all the edges and then did some more filling and sanding with the spackle. The included Cinama 10 baffle has a round-over on it already that has to be at least 3/4" or 1".

As said before, I ended up going with duratex and am very happy with the results. I watered it down a bit to get a light texture. The first picture was with 1 light coat. You can see the spackle soaked up the duratex a bit more than the BB but the second coat took care of that.

After doing two coats on all 6 speaker boxes, I'm left with this much Duratex for 4 sub boxes.... Might have ordered a bit too much haha

Earlier today I put the feet on, mounted X/O board, soldered input wires to Speakon terminal and put the ports in. Tomorrow I'll pick up some insulation and get them closed up!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't get as many speakers done last night as I had hoped, but I finished up 2 of them at about 12:30 and hooked them up for some quiet music listening. They sound great! I've been without my old JTR Triple 12's for a few months now, and I have hardly had any listening time with these, so I don't think I can give a fair assessment which one sounds better. After the JTR's sold, I put some Polk RTI A3 bookshelf speakers I had sitting around in L/R up front. I could immediately tell a huge difference between the Polks and the Cinema 10's. The most obvious part is the Cinema 10's are about 10db more sensitive than the polks so I had a lot more volume right off the bat. Even at fire up volume on my Denon 4311 (-40db), I could hear voices, instruments and details in songs that I had to turn the Polks up much louder to achieve. The Cinema 10's instantly reminded me of what the JTR's were like and how much I love having audible, crystal clear detail even at very low volumes. I have heard people say one of the best attributes of the 1099's and Cinema 10's is that it doesn't seem to matter how loud you turn them up, they stay distortion free all the way. I'm really looking forward to being able to turn these up past -30 and getting them broken in. I've also heard the 10" woofers are very stiff when new and once their broken in is when things really come to life.

So far, extremely satisfied!
A few more pics from assembly last night. The theatre is still under construction too so dont judge my wall. I have speaker cloth to go up and cover the OC703. Also, the 2x4 frame the speakers are standing on will be taken out and replaced by the subwoofers.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Haha the room is 13x15 with an 8ft ceiling. All 8 would be unreal but I'll see what I can make happen!
This build reminds me of my build (sort of.)
You'd be able to simulate very close to what I have.

My room is 8ft ceiling and 18ft wide, depth is more, but whatever... close enough.

Now just imagine my room with: 7 SEOS12-15's, and in addition to that, +16 subwoofers.
and not split in half either. Now were talkin' ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Enjoying this build. Any further updates?

I purchased a single JTR228 (mainly because the price was so good) which I plan to use as a centre speaker. I now need to either purchase two more 228's or DIY build two more speakers. I had been running MK S150 Mk2's in my theatre and wanted to head in the JTR direction.

Any further thoughts on the sound of these speakers? I am considering building these to compliment my JTR228.

I live in New Zealand so shipping of full-size speakers will be expensive.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Enjoying this build. Any further updates?

I purchased a single JTR228 (mainly because the price was so good) which I plan to use as a centre speaker. I now need to either purchase two more 228's or DIY build two more speakers. I had been running MK S150 Mk2's in my theatre and wanted to head in the JTR direction.

Any further thoughts on the sound of these speakers? I am considering building these to compliment my JTR228.

I live in New Zealand so shipping of full-size speakers will be expensive.

Thanks for your help.
I would definitely go the DIY rout and build your own matching or similar speakers to go with it! First off, what kind of budget do you have? Are you mostly a movie guy with some music here and there? I am assuming that you are using the single 228 as a center? You might want to start your own thread so as to be polite.

However, let me start by getting your taist buds wet 😎

You basically have two choices, do you want to: A.) build exact clones of the 228 using nearly identical drivers and horns? Or would you be open to trying a different approach? If it were me, I would use the 228 as a center channel with either two Seos-Maximus Left & Right's or the Seos based 1899's. That would, in my opinion be better than three JTR 228's across the front, and much cheaper! If you really wanted to cheap out but still beat the 228's, you could build a Seos15 DNA360 over a JBL 2226 or AE TD 15, or conversely, if you want to kill the 228's then you could do a Seos-24 with a Radian 951BePB (or just the regular 951PB much less$$) over a quad set of JBL or AE woofers!🏫

1 - 20 of 33 Posts