AVS Forum banner

20761 - 20780 of 31686 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Just watched The Blackcoat's Daughter (aka February). Thought it was great! It's slow-burning with a really creepy tone. Not exactly a "horror" movie but more of a thriller. It's something like It Follows in terms of tone/atmosphere.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Got The Shrine on NETFLIX tonight. A long slow ride to some action. Not horrible but nothing great,2 1/2 hammered on face masks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane. I'm guessing it's a prequel? Seems to have been inspired by Spielberg's WOtW remake, especially being an Abrams-joint. Goodman is very nearly the same character as Tim Robbins (who by the way is the "monster", not the aliens).

Interesting, but loses points on originality.

3 out 6 Wolverine Claws.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
Watched "Backtrack" on Netflix last night starring Adrian Brody and Sam Neil. It's an Aussie thriller with ghost story elements. Four railway switches.

Had to follow that with the documentary "Being Evel" on Hulu. That's because I spent the summer of 1966 playing a club gig in Butte, Montana. ;)

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
What's everyone's top three horror flicks they've seen this year(not necessarily from this year)?

I'm struggling to be wowed lately.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
What's everyone's top three horror flicks they've seen this year(not necessarily from this year)?

Same here, NF sent me The Forest since 10 Clover is a short wait status. I have been watching Shark Week on Discovery and it is pretty rad! Last night a guy made a new magnetic net, made from pvc pipe, magnets and wire. It actually worked with huge Great White sharks, with the inventor being the test bait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I found this and it could be good. Sci/fi horror kinda like Ex Machina and Splice put together.

http://youtu.be/rqmHSR0bFU8

I am sucker for this kind of scifi horror, folly of man stuff. Good cast for this too.

This month has been hit and miss with Exeter, The Hallow and the Visit being decent. Funhouse Massacre and Flight 7500 being misses. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was probably a miss but any time teen girls can take out a bunch of zombies is a win. :)

The 5th Wave was really bad. My 10 year old, who normally eats everything up, was constantly ripping all the stupid things the characters did, or how unbelievable the action was. Oh Chloe...

Reactions: BornSlippyZ

·
Registered
18,186 Posts
I am sucker for this kind of scifi horror, folly of man stuff. Good cast for this too.

This month has been hit and miss with Exeter, The Hallow and the Visit being decent. Funhouse Massacre and Flight 7500 being misses. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was probably a miss but any time teen girls can take out a bunch of zombies is a win. :)

The 5th Wave was really bad. My 10 year old, who normally eats everything up, was constantly ripping all the stupid things the characters did, or how unbelievable the action was. Oh Chloe...
The 5th Wave was absolutely turrible. Took extra rum to finish that stinker.

Reactions: stevew24963

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

I haven't seen any good recent horror movies lately. I've been mostly watching old horror movies on Svengoolie. The latest ones I watched were Island of Lost Souls (1932), The Leech Woman (1960), Pillow of Death (1945) and She-Wolf of London (1946).

I bought The Witch a couple of weeks ago and I just can't get into it. I tried watching it three times and never got past the 15 minute mark. I always seem to think of something better to do.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I watched Alice Sweet Alice yesterday and man I love 70's horror flicks! The creepy cat guy was creepier than the killer!

I might be visiting some classic horror since there is kind of a drought of new stuff coming out.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I watched Alice Sweet Alice yesterday and man I love 70's horror flicks! The creepy cat guy was creepier than the killer!

I might be visiting some classic horror since there is kind of a drought of new stuff coming out.
I set my DVR for Alice Sweet Alice when you mentioned it the other day but I haven't watched it yet. I'll have to make time for that one.

When I was young my older brother would walk me to the local theater to catch the matinee every Saturday. They had a different old horror movie to show every week. They seem pretty tame now but I remember covering my eyes during the "scary" parts back then. I've been hooked on classic horror ever since.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I haven't seen any good recent horror movies lately. I've been mostly watching old horror movies on Svengoolie. The latest ones I watched were Island of Lost Souls (1932), The Leech Woman (1960), Pillow of Death (1945) and She-Wolf of London (1946).

I bought The Witch a couple of weeks ago and I just can't get into it. I tried watching it three times and never got past the 15 minute mark. I always seem to think of something better to do.
Thanks Ken for putting me onto Svengoolie, I had to figure out that Tivo doesn't list Svengoolie but the specfic movies. A lot of this stuff was before my time so even if you could stream it, how would you know it exists.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts

Being work has been sort of a second home recently and I can actually be a movie theater twice a week for work, home viewing has turned into an hour here and there. So what I have seen has mostly been horror related TV. Some of it is as good or better than movies. First thing is Ash vs. The Evil Dead it nails it., the second is something you can't see for awhile but I have seen, that would be the pilot for Fox's 'The Exorcist'.
And of course there's Preacher on AMC, I have only gotten through the first episode so far but already there is a strong what the F___ is going on and yes I wanna know. :)

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Same here, NF sent me The Forest since 10 Clover is a short wait status. I have been watching Shark Week on Discovery and it is pretty rad! Last night a guy made a new magnetic net, made from pvc pipe, magnets and wire. It actually worked with huge Great White sharks, with the inventor being the test bait!

Will magnetic nets save you from sharks?:confused: Myth confirmed!:D

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Thanks Ken for putting me onto Svengoolie, I had to figure out that Tivo doesn't list Svengoolie but the specfic movies. A lot of this stuff was before my time so even if you could stream it, how would you know it exists.
Svengoolie is a strange one. His jokes are lame and everything is corny as can be. Some of the movies he shows are pretty short but he has a two hour time slot to fill. Instead of running extra commercials he wastes time by singing awful parody songs or by doing Pictionary drawings.
The guide data in Windows Media Center has Svengoolie listed as a series but my HDHomeRun DVR guide just lists the different movie title each week. It's on every Saturday night on MeTV so it isn't too hard to find but it's much easier to record by series. This week is Abbott and Costello go to Mars, next week is House of Dracula.

20761 - 20780 of 31686 Posts