AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 32795 Posts

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2370#post_22128008

You've got some great ones in that list. Could use a splash of Italian IMO.
Go for it Mike!
Thanks. I have always loved horror for as long as I can remember. I used to rent them when I was younger. I can't remember them all. Some real cheese ball ones. Silent night Deadly night is one that I remember. I know there are more that I have seen. Lord of Illusions wasn't too bad either. But compared to folks here, I have work to do

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2370#post_22126275

Kenobi, I need some advice! I want to make a prop from Carpenter's Thing. Petri dish containing blood and the wire prod. The dish and wire are no problem but any ideas on what to use for the blood that will dry and look wet? Thanks bud!
I've had good results with my stuff using a mixture of aged and original blood from Reel Creations or CFX Stage blood . I've used both and like them however I've found that the CFX is a tad too bright unless it will be used in a darker room. Both dry wet, stain, and are messy to clean up but they look great!

You can see in this one the blood on the white background looks pretty bright (although it was not that bright in real life, the camera flash did that)

No you can see the Reel Creations stuff is darker here but I had to mix the formulas to get it looking right. Nothing worse than bad blood color in your display!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2370#post_22127566

Back to the title of this thread, I still have a few more months to boost up my Horror collection but this is probably the bulk of my Horror 40 films I can think of off hand

Nightmare on elm street 1

Nightmare on elm street 2

Nightmare on elm street 3

Holloween

The Ring

Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser 2

The Exorcist

Dawn of the Dead(orginal)

Dawn of the Dead(remake)

The Ring

The Exsorsism of Emily Rose

30 Days of Night

Shawn of The Dead

Bram Strokers Dracula

House on Haunted Hill

Fallen

28 days later

the Omen(orginal)

The Shining

The Shining(TV mini series)

13 Ghosts

The Cell

Frailty

The Others

John Carptenter's The Thing

Last House on the Left

Cujo

Resident Evil

Event Horizon

Riding the Bullet

Creepshow 2

Sleep Hollow

Pandorum

From Hell

Silent Hill

The Host

Black Death

Secret Window

So, in theory, I could do the 1 movie a night for 31 days pretty easily. Don't know if I will be able too though. Plus, I may try and find some more before then. The Crazies trailer looks pretty interesting. I will probably glance through this thread as well for more ideas.
Solid list man! Welcome to the thread, be sure to look at some of the great foreign film recommendations from the usual suspects here as there are some real gems!

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22128461

Solid list man! Welcome to the thread, be sure to look at some of the great foreign film recommendations from the usual suspects here as there are some real gems!
Thanks. I intend on checking out some of the other lists in this thread. I am unfamiliar with a lot of foreign "horror" films. I guess one I could add that is more of a monster movie then a horror movie is The Host. That is a foreign one.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22128628

Thanks. I intend on checking out some of the other lists in this thread. I am unfamiliar with a lot of foreign "horror" films. I guess one I could add that is more of a monster movie then a horror movie is The Host. That is a foreign one.
I liked The Host but given the buzz about it I expected a bit more. Some of the foreign greats that get favorable mention around here are:

Inside (À l'intérieur)

Martyrs

Them

The Loved Ones (if you have a region free player)

REC

REC 2

Audition

Let The Right One In

High Tension

The Orphanage

Wolf Creek

Pontypool (Canada)

I know I am forgetting some real good ones but there's a few at least.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22128628

Good call on The Host.

I think there's a new Korean (?) monster movie coming out called Million Dollar Crocodile. I believe it's about a boy that befriends a 30ft croc in their croc farm. Croc escapes, boy chases, croc eats valuable diamonds, mob wants the diamonds, mob chases croc, boy chases mob, croc eats people.

Or something like that. Sounded cool.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22128721

I liked The Host but given the buzz about it I expected a bit more. Some of the foreign greats that get favorable mention around here are:

Inside (À l'intérieur)

Martyrs

Them

The Loved Ones (if you have a region free player)

REC

REC 2

Audition

Let The Right One In

High Tension

The Orphanage

Wolf Creek

Pontypool (Canada)

I know I am forgetting some real good ones but there's a few at least.
Thanks

I have heard of Them, REC, REC 2. One sort of fantasy that I really like is Pan's Labyrinth, which I also have and I think is a great film also.

I will put the others on the "Check these out" list

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2370#post_22128008

*** boy this new site is wonky when you do multi-quotes now. I do not like.

No doubt. You should see what its like to reply to threads on my work computer with a 4:3 monitor. Talk about friggin chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22130150

I hope it's OK, but I forgot one on my list. Stigmata. That is a solid Horror\Thriller in my view. That brings me up to 41. But now that I found ths thread, I see that number getting larger

Considering that your list has The Ring on there twice, it looks like your back down to 40.

Like others have said.....Welcome to the thread. You look familiar. Perhaps the subwoofer forum when all that AV123 craziness was going on?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22131654

Considering that your list has The Ring on there twice, it looks like your back down to 40.

Like others have said.....Welcome to the thread. You look familiar. Perhaps the subwoofer forum when all that AV123 craziness was going on?
Snap, I did not even notice that
. 40 is not too bad. I am mainly in the speaker and subwoofer forums but I don't think I posted in the AV123 when all that stuff was going on. But you probably have seen me in there. I guess I have to buy one or two this weekend to get me back up 40 for sure. HMMMM.... What to get.

P.S I took out that extra "The Ring" in my original post

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22131654

The Ring & Ringu. That's the ticket!

Hey Mike, have you seen The Descent? If you're buying discs and haven't seen it, most here would say it's a must-own title. Top notch PQ and AQ.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22131812

Hey Mike, have you seen The Descent? If you're buying discs and haven't seen it, most here would say it's a must-own title. Top notch PQ and AQ.
No. I have not seen The Descent. That can be one. Now I just need another one. Man, I have a feeling getting back into horror full force is going to be fun

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22131812

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22131825

No. I have not seen The Descent. That can be one. Now I just need another one. Man, I have a feeling getting back into horror full force is going to be fun
Big +1

Check The Descent multiple versions thread in the bluray forums for the best version. Mine is AUS region free and was the best over the two US version at the time but I think another version was released that looks like the AUS but can't remember where... maybe UK?

That was one of the films I brought with me to test TV's too. Speaking of which I will have my 65VT50 on Monday! Happy Father's Day to me.... or to quote Creepshow "I GOT MY CAKE MUUHAHAHA"

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,415
Congrats on the new display GK. That vt is top notch. I'm amazed @ what those dnice settings did for my st50. I've had 2 isf calibrated sets in the past and this comes pretty darn close. Free $300 calibration? Sure why not.

Mike are you near phoenixville pa? The colonial theater there runs special horror screenings every month and around Halloween. Good, cheap fun on 35mm.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22133885

Mike are you near phoenixville pa? The colonial theater there runs special horror screenings every month and around Halloween. Good, cheap fun on 35mm.
It's probably a bit of a hike for me from the look at google maps. But I may try and make it. Let me get some more on disk first
. The Descent will be first.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I really enjoyed Woman in Black. Very classic Hammer Film feel. Not gory but creepy and lots of jump moments.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22134779

I really enjoyed Woman in Black. Very classic Hammer Film feel. Not gory but creepy and lots of jump moments.
I hope to check it out this weekend, maybe tonight.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino  /t/1068270/october-fun-watch-one-horror-movie-a-day-for-31-days/2400#post_22134779

I know this is a place just for content, but how did the movie look and sound.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I have Woman in Black at home from NF right now, was going to watch it this weekend but now that the new TV will be here Monday it may have to wait:)

MikeDuke - Let us know how you like The Descent, I love that one! Scared the hell out of my wife, she watched it for the first time the night before we went to one of the largest cave systems in CA... better believe she was feeling spooked looking down all those dark tubes splitting off from the main caverns:0

2401 - 2420 of 32795 Posts