AVS Forum banner

31121 - 31140 of 31734 Posts

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
23 or 24, I forget.

Dune. Great soundtrack, great composite work, great cast, great look (TOP 5 EVER), mediocre writing but against the book it had to be. Dune 2020 might get me into a theater with the infected dirty masses.
Had this on DVD, then when HD-DVD disc prices dropped I snagged one of those. If a UHD disc if ever released, I am there. As epics go Dune is different, even David Lynch has reservations of what he did with it. Only Lynch could deliver what you see on the screen in this. And of course.. Giant sandworms are bad-ass..:D

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Had this on DVD, then when HD-DVD disc prices dropped I snagged one of those. If a UHD disc if ever released, I am there. As epics go Dune is different, even David Lynch has reservations of what he did with it. Only Lynch could deliver what you see on the screen in this. And of course.. Giant sandworms are bad-ass..:D

It's just so large a story, cuts had to be made.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
It's just so large a story, cuts had to be made.
Exactly I've seen the extended/ TV cut and there are things that do help the flow of the story, but in an ideal world a Dune series is needed. Something similar to what is being done with The Expanse could work.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Exactly I've seen the extended/ TV cut and there are things that do help the flow of the story, but in an ideal world a Dune series is needed. Something similar to what is being done with The Expanse could work.
Agree.

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Never seen Dune.:eek:

·
Registered
4,847 Posts

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Rent it, give it a spin. :)
I've added it to my queue.

I assume you read all the books though?

;)
Well, look what the Grady twins dragged in. What's up?

The movie is totally its own thing vs the lore of the books but was my intro. After being raised on the movie I finally read the books using the movie as a style guide to them.
I've read a lot of mixed feelings on the movie over the years. But we here in this thread seem have similar tastes towards most movies, I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: tenthplanet

·
Registered
698 Posts
That's a wrap, folks. Thanks for the diversion !

Wizards (1977)
VHS Cassette, Nostalgia value 8.5/10

Director: Ralph Bakshi
Writer: Ralph Bakshi
Stars: Bob Holt, Jesse Welles, Richard Romanus, Mark Hamill

Magic vs technology,with a dose of Science Fiction sensibilities.A unique film unlike anything else you'll see. Psychedelic, freaky trip into an alternate version of our world.

The story deals with wizards and his fairy folk comrades in the distant future who dig up long-forgotten Nazi propaganda films and old war machinery, which are used by evil creatures to try and conquer the good creatures. The demons and evil creatures are obviously symbols of Nazis .
The line "They killed Fritz! They killed Fritz!" is a reference to Robert Crumb killing off Fritz the Cat in his underground comic book series. Ralph Bakshi is quoted as saying, "I named the character Fritz in "Wizards," just so I could scream 'They killed Fritz!'

Wizards might not be a masterpiece when it comes to story and character, but it offers just the right amount of bizarre and engrossing material to keep cult audiences, and indie animation lovers, in awe. For obvious reasons, the film is likely not going to appeal to the masses, but it's a strange, grimy ride that deserves some respect for the artistic complexity and ambitious nature of this low-budget animated effort.

Reactions: tenthplanet

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
That's a wrap, folks. Thanks for the diversion !

Wizards (1977)
VHS Cassette, Nostalgia value 8.5/10

Director: Ralph Bakshi
Writer: Ralph Bakshi
Stars: Bob Holt, Jesse Welles, Richard Romanus, Mark Hamill

Magic vs technology,with a dose of Science Fiction sensibilities.A unique film unlike anything else you'll see. Psychedelic, freaky trip into an alternate version of our world.

The story deals with wizards and his fairy folk comrades in the distant future who dig up long-forgotten Nazi propaganda films and old war machinery, which are used by evil creatures to try and conquer the good creatures. The demons and evil creatures are obviously symbols of Nazis .
The line "They killed Fritz! They killed Fritz!" is a reference to Robert Crumb killing off Fritz the Cat in his underground comic book series. Ralph Bakshi is quoted as saying, "I named the character Fritz in "Wizards," just so I could scream 'They killed Fritz!' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQ-nMc0WGE

Wizards might not be a masterpiece when it comes to story and character, but it offers just the right amount of bizarre and engrossing material to keep cult audiences, and indie animation lovers, in awe. For obvious reasons, the film is likely not going to appeal to the masses, but it's a strange, grimy ride that deserves some respect for the artistic complexity and ambitious nature of this low-budget animated effort.

You should look into Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. In the 80's it was edited down to 90 minutes for America and not super easy to find but HBO ran it a few times. It's since been released as intended and if you dig those Bakshi films you'll like it.

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Zapped (1982). Been ages since I've seen this. With it's all star cast of Chachi, the kid from 8 is Enough, Scatman Crothers and Heather Thomas, it's some good ol' fashioned 80's fun. Speaking of Heather Thomas, I had her poster in my room back in the day.:D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
In the early 1970s the jazz trio I played in was the house band for a weekly Seattle area TV show. Frank Herbert, who lived in Port Townsend, was an occasional guest. Too bad "The Green Brain" never made it to film.

Watched "Upload", the new sci-fi series on Amazion in 4K last night. Interesting series with varying length episodes.

Got a card the other day (looked like a birthday card) that was actually an ad from Comcast letting me know if I wanted it they have a free 4K device for their Internet customers. I already have 3 4K devices so don't need it. Apparently this is too push the Peacock service. Anyone else get the mailing?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I've added it to my queue.

Well, look what the Grady twins dragged in. What's up?
I respond more to a Poison version of "look what the cat dragged in"...
Just trying to stay ready. I hang out in front of my house with a baseball bat waiting for the undead to shamble by. But, so far, is just families out for a walk. Need to stay vigilant and not just go with the flow like any zombie.

Lol.

I am turning more and more into OINK in that I watch so many tv series now. Not broadcast of course. :eek:
He was always beating on me to watch current series. Just got done with Ozark. By the end I was calling the 14 year old son "Carl" as he was starting to remind me of early Carl from TWD.
You should look into Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. In the 80's it was edited down to 90 minutes for America and not super easy to find but HBO ran it a few times. It's since been released as intended and if you dig those Bakshi films you'll like it.
Nausicaa is one of my favorite Ghibli's. Really has that 70's vibe to it. The family likes most of the mainstream Ghibli movies except the wife got really sick of Ponyo when my daughter was very young and played it over and over. Nothing makes her run out of the room faster than when we break into the Ponyo, little fishy song.:cool:

Zapped (1982). Been ages since I've seen this. With it's all star cast of Chachi, the kid from 8 is Enough, Scatman Crothers and Heather Thomas, it's some good ol' fashioned 80's fun. Speaking of Heather Thomas, I had her poster in my room back in the day.:D
As did I. That is an iconic poster for the time. For some reason it always made me think of the desert?

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
I respond more to a Poison version of "look what the cat dragged in"...
Just trying to stay ready. I hang out in front of my house with a baseball bat waiting for the undead to shamble by. But, so far, is just families out for a walk. Need to stay vigilant and not just go with the flow like any zombie.

Lol.

I am turning more and more into OINK in that I watch so many tv series now. Not broadcast of course. :eek:
He was always beating on me to watch current series. Just got done with Ozark. By the end I was calling the 14 year old son "Carl" as he was starting to remind me of early Carl from TWD.

Nausicaa is one of my favorite Ghibli's. Really has that 70's vibe to it. The family likes most of the mainstream Ghibli movies except the wife got really sick of Ponyo when my daughter was very young and played it over and over. Nothing makes her run out of the room faster than when we break into the Ponyo, little fishy song.:cool:

As did I. That is an iconic poster for the time. For some reason it always made me think of the desert?
I should have said look what the zombeavers dragged in. Good to hear you're getting by and avoiding all those families and intrepid walkers. You know they're up to some shenanigans.

How is old Swiney doing these day? Do you talk to him at all? I can inly imagine some of the theories he has conjured up. Lol.

Yeah, I watch more series/shows than I do movies. Haven't watched Ozarks yet. Everyone says it's good. I dunno. Hillbilly money launderers just ain't my jam, yo.

Can't let a quality Carl moment go unnoticed...
:D

Reactions: GoCaboNow
31121 - 31140 of 31734 Posts