AVS Forum banner

32341 - 32360 of 32783 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Watch my first 2 Oct movies yesterday. The Color of Space' new movie.. Not to bad. Some pretty shocking scenes. Excellent sound and video if you have a HT. Also a older 2002 I think. Called the Village. Killer cast and some great acting' Well made and a great story. Very different and just a tad of horror.

·
Registered
18,655 Posts
Nic Ninja Cage! This has epicness written all over it!

Reactions: darthrsg

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
13. One Cut of the Dead (FTV)

Low-budget filmmakers attempting to make a zombie movie in one uncut take keep the cameras rolling as they find themselves caught up in a real zombie invasion.

This Shudder zom-com is going to be difficult to review without spoilers, but I will try not to spoil anything because that's a huge part of the fun of the movie, watching things unfold before your eyes, particularly in the final third. The movie is essentially told in three distinct acts, and the first one is actually the least impressive. The first 35 minutes were watchable enough, average J-horror, but had me wondering why I had heard so many good things about this movie. It seemed awkward at times and limited in scope, and the visual qualities were lacking.

In the middle third, however, we realize something new about what we just saw, which puts it into a new light, and we get more into the characters and their motivations, and are introduced to new characters and a wider perspective. This sets up nicely for the third and final act, in which everything that has been set up pays off in huge dividends. There just such a joy and energy to it, I found myself elated that they were able to pull it off despite every obstacle being thrown their way. In the end, this movie is about the triumph of human will, and a celebration of the creative act of movie making, with blood and zombies.

I know I talked around this movie more than about this movie, but you have to see it to really get it. That's not to say this is one of those movies that depends on a big twist that you can figure out, it's just more of a perspective shift than an informational revelation. But you have to get past those first 35 minutes, hang in there until the very end!

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
The Wolf of Snow Hollow

I absolutely hate terrible movies about werewolves. Luckily this a great one. Jaws meets Fargo if you have to boil it down. Fast and witty dialogue peppered with laughs and brutality make it go by quickly and it's great all the way through.

It's one of Robert Forster's final roles, he plays a sunsetting sheriff in a ski village when a brutal murder occurs. His son tries to rise to the occasion and fill his shoes as top lawman but personal issues pull him under even though he is really trying to solve the case. One cases becomes two and so on and the law enforcement team struggles to keep face as their reputation is hammered on all sides from the locals.

There are a few twists to round out the tale and some impressive effects, though they lean into police procedural most of the time. The Wolf of Snow Hollow is at the top of the pile for this October. It's a rare "really good" werewolf movie.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I watched 'The Gallows: Act II' (aka The Gallows 2). on Hulu. It's made by the same guys as the first one. As it gets going it ties into the first one and it progresses into the territory somewhere between the inevitable doom of the 'The Ring' and the " is their some kind of conspiracy going on" atmosphere of 'Unfriended: Dark Web'. Worth a watch if you saw/liked the first one. :) From IMDB... When Auna Rue transfers to a prestigious new acting school, she encounters a malevolent spirit after participating in a viral challenge. .. I would say words have power and it's not always books are cursed, sometimes it's a play. :devilish:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Earth
vs.
The Flying
Saucers

(1956)
Blu-Ray
First Time View

Extraterrestrials traveling in high-tech flying saucers contact a scientist as part of a plan to enslave the inhabitants of Earth.

Special Effects master Ray Harryhausen 's realistic stop motion dynamation work here helps bring home this terrifying tale of flying saucers who visit earth. Far from kind or contemplative, these aliens are aggressive, scary and abduct humans to suck the knowledge out of their brains. The film is grounded in real world science too. Hold on to your hats the 'Differential analyser' yup... how cool is that name. It was one of the first advanced computing devices to be used operationally by NASA . A mechanical analogue computer. Great stuff.

This movie also has a lot of hardware scenes and it's grounded in a real world grittiness which lends a very grim non-campy movie style to the whole production. Harryhausen skillfully edits in actual Department of Defense combat footage that masterfully gives the film an ominous and threatening impression . Harryhausen also animated the falling masonry when saucers crash into various government buildings and monuments in order to make the action appear realistic. The man is just brilliant.

The film was released in black and white. However on the blu-ray using the angle button ( I have never used this feature before till this viewing) you may switch between colorized and glorious monochrome B&W. But this is not a Ted Turner controversy of colorizing against the original artistic intent .

Harryhausen was a principle decision maker on the movie, he wanted to shoot in color, but didn't have the budget. So when the opportunity to colorize it came about, he jumped at the chance, but made sure that colors were as originally intended, especially the flying saucers that were originally intended to be silver would end up silver on the colorized version instead of the yellow that the colorization artist would have colored them without Harryhausen's input. There were no major changes done to the content of the film.

I think this is one of the best of the early American horror science fiction films from Columbia Pictures it holds up very well. Hey, it was made in 1956--take it for when it came out and appreciate the grim fear of "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers." 8/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10

14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Earth
vs.
The Flying
Saucers

(1956)
Blu-Ray
First Time View

Extraterrestrials traveling in high-tech flying saucers contact a scientist as part of a plan to enslave the inhabitants of Earth.

Special Effects master Ray Harryhausen 's realistic stop motion dynamation work here helps bring home this terrifying tale of flying saucers who visit earth. Far from kind or contemplative, these aliens are aggressive, scary and abduct humans to suck the knowledge out of their brains. The film is grounded in real world science too. Hold on to your hats the 'Differential analyser' yup... how cool is that name. It was one of the first advanced computing devices to be used operationally by NASA . A mechanical analogue computer. Great stuff.

This movie also has a lot of hardware scenes and it's grounded in a real world grittiness which lends a very grim non-campy movie style to the whole production. Harryhausen skillfully edits in actual Department of Defense combat footage that masterfully gives the film an ominous and threatening impression . Harryhausen also animated the falling masonry when saucers crash into various government buildings and monuments in order to make the action appear realistic. The man is just brilliant.

The film was released in black and white. However on the blu-ray using the angle button ( I have never used this feature before till this viewing) you may switch between colorized and glorious monochrome B&W. But this is not a Ted Turner controversy of colorizing against the original artistic intent .

Harryhausen was a principle decision maker on the movie, he wanted to shoot in color, but didn't have the budget. So when the opportunity to colorize it came about, he jumped at the chance, but made sure that colors were as originally intended, especially the flying saucers that were originally intended to be silver would end up silver on the colorized version instead of the yellow that the colorization artist would have colored them without Harryhausen's input. There were no major changes done to the content of the film.

I think this is one of the best of the early American horror science fiction films from Columbia Pictures it holds up very well. Hey, it was made in 1956--take it for when it came out and appreciate the grim fear of "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers." 8/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10

14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
Before 'ID-4', 'Earth vs. The Flying Saucers' and 'War of the Worlds' were the go to "Aliens blow s____ up" movies. They actually endure better than some so called serious sci-fi :)

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Javier Botet took me from Don't Knock Twice to It Chapter Two. That movie is loooong! I was busy so it took me a couple of days to finish. I like this one much better than It (2017).

I then went with James McAvoy from It Chapter Two to Split. More of a thriller than horror but still pretty good. It was a little weird seeing my local CBS news anchor Ukee Washington (Denzel's cousin) on a TV in the movie.

From Split I followed Betty Buckley to Carrie (1976). Betty sure has changed over the 41 years between Carrie and Split. I was just a teenager 41 years ago so I guess I can't complain about that too much. I'm not sure what I'll watch next but the Carrie cast gives me several options.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
2. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
↑ Robert Englund ↓
3. Lake Placid: The Final Chapter
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
10. Insidious: The Last Key
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
11. Annabelle: Creation
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
13. Halloween: Resurrection
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Two more to add to my total from yesterday...

18. The Book of Eli (2010) - FTV

Wasn't sure whether to include this because it's not really horror. But it does have the post-apocalytical thingie goin on. Interesting story. Viewed on cable. Can't remember the channel.

19. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughn try to thwart InGen's attempts to exploit Site B. Haven't seen this in awhile but the effects and what have you are pretty good, if a bit over-the-top at times. Directed by S. Spielberg. Viewed on the Paramount Network.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
14. 3 From Hell (FTV)

Third installment in Rob Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" franchise sees the Firefly family on the lam in Mexico, where an old score will be settled.

Full disclosure: I'm a big fan of Rob Zombie's films and this franchise. There's something about the way he melds homemade B filmmaking and occasional flashes of cinematic artistry that makes his content exciting and somehow more relatable. You never get the sense of a big studio executive pushing the buttons, it's as if a fellow fan of the genre made a movie just for you.

That out of the way, I had a great time with 3 From Hell. Sid Haig's Captain Spalding is given an all-to-brief farewell (the actor was already terminally ill during the shoot), Bill Moseley's Otis Driftwood is scarier than ever, if a little bit crowfooted around the eyes, and Sheri Moon Zombie's character Baby, who could be annoying at times in earlier films, is given a bit more depth as the effects of solitary confinement have taken a toll on her already loony psyche.

The movie opens with a "Helter Skelter" style documentary to fill us in on the backstory, and we get a rare chance to see these characters speaking directly to us and perhaps giving us some insight as to what makes them tick. Then it moves on to the jailbreak sequences which while a bit farfetched, propel the story forward with energy. The final act takes place in a Mexico that is reminiscent of Robert Rodriquez and Quentin Tarantino's in "From Dusk Till Dawn", but a dirtier one--you can practically smell the scenery and characters.

Inevitably, one must compare the third installment of a franchise against those that came before it, and it's there where 3 From Hell falls a bit short. Neither of the sequels compare with the original's bold vision, which was less concerned with homage and stylistic imitation, and there's a certain meandering quality to the latter half of 3 From Hell which keeps it from being truly great. But frankly, with second sequels, "pretty good" is something of a minor miracle.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Slightly off topic..Did anybody score any good discs on Amazon Prime Day ?
It wasn't a Prime Day deal but I decided to get the German BD of the second season of the original UK Utopia.

Amazon has added two more Blumhouse produced Amazon Originals "Evil Eye" and "Nocturne". I watched "Evil Eye" last night starring Sarita Choudhary. It's about a woman who fears her daughter's new boyfriend may be the incarnation of a old boyfriend who died. I'm into Indian culture so it was fun to watch. Three and a half chai lattes.

·
Registered
10,292 Posts

20. The Dark Tower (2017) - FTV

A boy is transported to a parallel world from his dreams, where an epic battle rages between an old west gunslinger (Idris Elba), and an evil warlock (Matthew McConaughey). Based on the Stephen King series of novels. Viewed on FX.

Violent, but reasonably effective, thanks mainly to the performances of Elba and McConaughey. Haven't read the King novels. So can't really offer any insights on how good an adaptation this is. There is alot in this which is not well-explained though.

There are alot of similarities between this and the short-lived 2009 British fantasy TV series "Demons" (which can be streamed free on Sony Crackle, and possibly also some other sites). Though the latter draws more on traditional horror themes, characters and folklore.

·
Registered
18,655 Posts
It wasn't a Prime Day deal but I decided to get the German BD of the second season of the original UK Utopia.

Amazon has added two more Blumhouse produced Amazon Originals "Evil Eye" and "Nocturne". I watched "Evil Eye" last night starring Sarita Choudhary. It's about a woman who fears her daughter's new boyfriend may be the incarnation of a old boyfriend who died. I'm into Indian culture so it was fun to watch. Three and a half chai lattes.
Ausgezeichnet! I'll PM you my address and arrange for herr Bezos to ship to me. I'll give them a quality control once over and get 'em in the mail to you shortly thereafter.😉

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Ausgezeichnet! I'll PM you my address and arrange for herr Bezos to ship to me. I'll give them a quality control once over and get 'em in the mail to you shortly thereafter.😉
No need for that because you can just order it (or both seasons) off Amazon US as I did. They're region B encoded but you can always use some "magic" to make them work. ;)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
32341 - 32360 of 32783 Posts