AVS Forum banner

32361 - 32380 of 32544 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Watched The Babysitter: Killer Queen today! It was a lot of fun and was a great follow-up to the original. My only complaint - it could have used a little more Bella Thorne!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Slightly off topic..Did anybody score any good discs on Amazon Prime Day ?
Best deal I found was the 30 Blu-ray Universal Classic Monster Collection for just $69.99. That's just $2.33 per movie.

Almost as good was the Cornetto Trilogy 4K disc set for just $19.99.

Other than that, didn't see as good of deals as the typical Black Friday sales, though.

Scott

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Congo

Congo is a classic action adventure move with a pretty cool creature feature twist. It's also 25 years old so take these spoilers! An rescue expedition is sent to recover a previous expedition on an expedition for a satellite communication company in the Congo. Getting there is half the fun, warring borders, greatest hippo attack ever in a movie, martini sipping gorilla, there's a lot to unpack for sure. By the last half hour we are neck deep in tomb raiding and an ancient apes that kill. Then comes that sweet laser.

Adventure movies like this are a rarity now days. There's a lot of love for Indiana Jones style flicks and hefty dose of firearms. As the 90's would say: This is the way. You get a glimpse into thoughts on where technology was going and some was dead on. And that sweet laser.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I recommend The Dark Red on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
No need for that because you can just order it (or both seasons) off Amazon US as I did. They're region B encoded but you can always use some "magic" to make them work. ;)
I'll wait and hopefully Lord Bezos snaps his almighty fingers and makes it one with the Prime.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
The Last Stand. I believe this was Ahnolds first leading role after being the Guvinator. Been years since I've seen this again. And it's still super cheesy fun. Watched it with my kids and they kept asking but how.. but why... but... Lol. I said guys, you're way overthinking this. Just sit back and enjoy the carnage.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
It wasn't a Prime Day deal but I decided to get the German BD of the second season of the original UK Utopia.

Amazon has added two more Blumhouse produced Amazon Originals "Evil Eye" and "Nocturne". I watched "Evil Eye" last night starring Sarita Choudhary. It's about a woman who fears her daughter's new boyfriend may be the incarnation of a old boyfriend who died. I'm into Indian culture so it was fun to watch. Three and a half chai lattes.
Evil Eye is pretty good :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Proxy (2013)
Blu-Ray

First Time View

The life of three parents who have all shared the loss of a child. Motives are not what they seem and sanity is in short supply in this horrifying thriller.

Director:Zack Parker
Writers:Kevin Donner,
Stars:Joe Swanberg, Alexa Havins, Kristina Klebe ,Alexia Rasmussen

'Proxy' is a supremely twisted, extremely violent, but vary well-made horror thriller. This film is fantastically out there and off- the-wall. I enjoy films that are not afraid to explore dark, brooding and somewhat taboo or risque subject matter. There's something powerfully and mysteriously attractive , fascinating and seductive to the screenplay . The film may have some triggers for some viewers. Every main character is bat s.h.i.t crazy and suffers from narcissism .
Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSBP) is a mental health problem in which a caregiver makes up or causes an illness or injury in a person under his or her care, such as a child, an elderly adult, or a person who has a disability. Because vulnerable people are the victims, MSBP is a form of child abuse or elder abuse.
Due to its slow narrative speed one must be in the mood for a slow burn psychological thriller. Proxy spends most of its time providing build up and growth before the big finale. And when it arrives it like a brutal kick in the teeth.

The style in which PROXY is shot is utterly unsettling. Director Zack Parker's slow camera movements and interesting angles create vivid imagery and alluring cinematography that plays out really well against the depressing subject matter. His use of slow-mo beautifully unleashes each moment of bloody despair.
Another intriguing aspect of the film was the range of emotions that each character underwent. The acting is superb .PROXY is heartbreaking and shocking from start to finish.

The whole narrative gave me a David Lynch vibe and the camera work of Brian De Palma. That is a great combo. Director Zack Parker is definitely good at his craft. This horror mystery is hard to ignore. 9/10

Alexa Havins

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10

·
Registered
376 Posts
Earth
vs.
The Flying
Saucers

(1956)
Blu-Ray
First Time View

Extraterrestrials traveling in high-tech flying saucers contact a scientist as part of a plan to enslave the inhabitants of Earth.

Special Effects master Ray Harryhausen 's realistic stop motion dynamation work here helps bring home this terrifying tale of flying saucers who visit earth. Far from kind or contemplative, these aliens are aggressive, scary and abduct humans to suck the knowledge out of their brains. The film is grounded in real world science too. Hold on to your hats the 'Differential analyser' yup... how cool is that name. It was one of the first advanced computing devices to be used operationally by NASA . A mechanical analogue computer. Great stuff.

This movie also has a lot of hardware scenes and it's grounded in a real world grittiness which lends a very grim non-campy movie style to the whole production. Harryhausen skillfully edits in actual Department of Defense combat footage that masterfully gives the film an ominous and threatening impression . Harryhausen also animated the falling masonry when saucers crash into various government buildings and monuments in order to make the action appear realistic. The man is just brilliant.

The film was released in black and white. However on the blu-ray using the angle button ( I have never used this feature before till this viewing) you may switch between colorized and glorious monochrome B&W. But this is not a Ted Turner controversy of colorizing against the original artistic intent .

Harryhausen was a principle decision maker on the movie, he wanted to shoot in color, but didn't have the budget. So when the opportunity to colorize it came about, he jumped at the chance, but made sure that colors were as originally intended, especially the flying saucers that were originally intended to be silver would end up silver on the colorized version instead of the yellow that the colorization artist would have colored them without Harryhausen's input. There were no major changes done to the content of the film.

I think this is one of the best of the early American horror science fiction films from Columbia Pictures it holds up very well. Hey, it was made in 1956--take it for when it came out and appreciate the grim fear of "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers." 8/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10

14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
One of the great Saucer movies of all time.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Put on The Lodge this morning while working in my office. It was good enough for me to take my attention from my work several times, and ultimately just focusing on it for the last 30 minutes. It's not hard to figure out, but definitely was still a fun watch.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Boys I must have lost my mind..... I will not lie SARS-CoV-2 freaks my germophobic brain out. However.
I truly miss going to the Cinema . There will never be a chance to experience these films in the theater most likely ever again. I am going to put on my only NIOSH-approved N100 respirator from my apocalypse super secret stash and go to see; if I don't wuss-out....

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Comeback Classics
Digital Cinema Luxury Lounger​
Friday, October 23 at 6:45 pm
Cinemark Tinseltown USA and XD

Colorado Springs, CO

The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen Before - Comeback Classics
Friday, October 30 at 6:00 pm

Colorado Springs, CO

Scream - Comeback Classics
Saturday, 🎃 October 31 🎃 at 6:55 pm

Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
10,209 Posts

22. Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire (2012) - FTV

Entertaining little musical adventure featuring the Scooby gang at a vampire convention, trying to puzz out how and why an ancient vampire was resurrected. Some snappy tunes, decent (but definitely TV grade) animation, and good voice work by Frank Welker, Matthew Lillard and others made this a fairly enjoyable watch. Viewed on DVD, with stereo sound.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Boys I must have lost my mind..... I will not lie SARS-CoV-2 freaks my germophobic brain out. However.
I truly miss going to the Cinema . There will never be a chance to experience these films in the theater most likely ever again. I am going to put on my only NIOSH-approved N100 respirator from my apocalypse super secret stash and go to see; if I don't wuss-out....
Hopefully drive-ins will make a comeback. I used to love goin to those when I was kid.

The sound quality was terrible of course. But probably no worse than what I heard in theaters the last few times I went, before the pandemic. And I'm sure there are better ways of doing it now.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
15. Scared Stiff (1987) (FTV)

80's pop singer with a history of mental problems and her son move into her therapist/boyfriend's southern mansion with a nasty secret in the attic.

This movie flew way under the radar for most, probably because it's not a typical 80's slasher based on an existing franchise. Like any good ghost story, there's a dark history and a re-awakening of old forces in the modern world--think more along the lines of Candyman than Freddy Krueger. The movie is dated in both style and special effects, but for me it added to the 80's charm, so this is sort of a hidden gem. Despite the occasional cheesiness, the film delivers a few good jolts in hallucinatory sequences that reminded me a little of the dream sequences in An American Werewolf In London.

There's a pretty decent score by jazz pianist Billy Barber, which is important considering that the music is pretty central to the plot. And despite the lack of big names, the actors do a decent job of taking things seriously even in the face of some ridiculousness. For instance, who really thought anyone would be afraid of pigeons? Things get really crazy in the final 20 minutes with some great special effects mixed with some bad ones--it's like they threw in everything but the kitchen sink to see what would stick, and things sort of go off the rails. You'll probably laugh more than scream, but you'll always be entertained.

Post-script: The generic title "Scared Stiff" really says nothing about the story, and it turns out the original title was "The Masterson Curse", which is more accurate, but probably less marketable.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Dear wife informed me today, she was going out with friends (coven) to eat dinner (do spells). So I'll hang with the human resource (not a witch) and help her set up her new self radicalization device (PC).

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Anyone enjoying The House on Bly Manor?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

32361 - 32380 of 32544 Posts